Author Topic: what kinda tires?  (Read 3954 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
what kinda tires?
« on: Apr 27, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
i have a stock 86 4runner and its about time for new tires it is a daily driver but i like to do quite a bit of 4wheelin in it to and i like to push it to its limits off road. i am trying to decide between the bfg all terrains or mud terrains im a little worried about the muds because i dont want them to wear out to fast on the street and they cost a little more. I dont know if the alls are going to be good enough for affroad though. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: what kinda tires?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
the bfg muds last jsut as long as the all terrains do.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
Wow Jimbo thats pry your best post yet! Wow  :rofl: :rofl:
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
the bfg muds last jsut as long as the all terrains do.....

really?  thats surprising

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »
Never mind him. There is NO WAY mt's will last as long as at's. He must be high  :slap:
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
they don't last AS long but they will still last a very long time. unless you commute a lot of miles per day i would go for the MT's.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »
they don't last AS long but they will still last a very long time. unless you commute a lot of miles per day i would go for the MT's.

ya i dont really commute with it i think i might go with the muds ive heard they handle decent on the road. Also heard that you can get  a good 40 thousand out of them so if thats true they would be well worth it

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
ya i dont really commute with it i think i might go with the muds ive heard they handle decent on the road. Also heard that you can get  a good 40 thousand out of them so if thats true they would be well worth it
iv only put about 1500 on mine, but a friend has had the same set for 5 years or more.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
My BFG MTs have about.. um... 15K on them and they're still at 2/3 tread. My only gripe is that they are the suckage in rain or anything slimy/muddy.  They're really a rood desert terrain tire.  If you're running in dirt or rocks and also streets, it's a hard to beat combo. 

Oh - rotate every 3K, religiously.  Other than that and kinda thin sidewalls, they're okay.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
For an all around tire that is going to see a lot of highway miles, I would go with the AT's.  I got over 70k out of my last set of 33" BFG AT's, and they still had about 10k of street use left when I bought my new ones.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

85toyrunner_rockrig

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
For an all around tire that is going to see a lot of highway miles, I would go with the AT's.  I got over 70k out of my last set of 33" BFG AT's, and they still had about 10k of street use left when I bought my new ones.

yes, i rode mine forever

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

wow that sounds pretty good costco says they can mount and balance some 31x10.5  for about $670 how does that sound. thats the all terrains

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »
I loved my MTs, had about somewhere between 30 and 40K on them when I sold them, and they've still got plenty of tread left.  I've neaver had any problems with them whatso ever, no gouged sidewalls, nothing.  They hooked up nicely on the rocks, and in the snow.  NEver spent much time in sand or mud, the little time I spent inthe mud, they did ok.  Sand, no so good until you aired down, then they did just fine. 

how much are you going to be wheeling the rig, and what kind of wheeling?  If we're talking once or twice a year, I'd go with the ATs.  If you're talking once or twice a month, I'd go with the MTs.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »
wow that sounds pretty good costco says they can mount and balance some 31x10.5  for about $670 how does that sound. thats the all terrains
That isn't too bad at about$167/tire, is that with any road hazard coverage from Costco?  I know BFG doesn't warranty the tire(other than for craftsmanship or didn't used to), but some companies like America's tire does offer a road hazard warranty.  I would check with them and see what kind of deal they can offer.  I bought my last set of BFG's from America's Tire store just to get the "No Questions Asked" warranty coverage, best thing you can have for a tire that sees trail use.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »
That isn't too bad at about$167/tire, is that with any road hazard coverage from Costco?  I know BFG doesn't warranty the tire(other than for craftsmanship or didn't used to), but some companies like America's tire does offer a road hazard warranty.  I would check with them and see what kind of deal they can offer.  I bought my last set of BFG's from America's Tire store just to get the "No Questions Asked" warranty coverage, best thing you can have for a tire that sees trail use.

:werd: from my experience, Americas tire is awesome. 

They also beat competitors prices, when I bought my MTs, I was going to get them from Sams club (cheapest price) but they had to be special ordered, and they wanted the $$ upfront.  I was going to use the $$ from selling my MTRS to help buy the MTs, so I couldn't do that.  Went to Americas tire, told them the Sam's club price, they called and confirmed, and then beat the price by $12 a tire :gap: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2009, 10:58:14 PM »
:werd: from my experience, Americas tire is awesome. 

They also beat competitors prices, when I bought my MTs, I was going to get them from Sams club (cheapest price) but they had to be special ordered, and they wanted the $$ upfront.  I was going to use the $$ from selling my MTRS to help buy the MTs, so I couldn't do that.  Went to Americas tire, told them the Sam's club price, they called and confirmed, and then beat the price by $12 a tire :gap: 

thats cool maybe ill see if they will beat costco i dont really know if costco has the road hazard coverage. I will probably be wheelin it about 2-3 times a month and i would like to go with the muds but costco doesnt even have the old muds any more they just have the new ones and they are pretty spendy. I dont know if can buy the older MT from americas tire i guess i will call and check.

WHLIN TOY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »

Go with the Mt's, mine lasted a good long while. Were nice to drive on, not really all that loud, but then again I went from an MT to a TSL so anything would be quieter then what I have now

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
i have tsl radials. they clame to be quieter. HAHAHA yeah right. i am going to tsl sx next i think. which one performs better. by the way this truck is trailered
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed