Author Topic: 5spd makeing noise  (Read 1132 times)

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
5spd makeing noise
« on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »
i got a 80 with a 20r and i just put a 5spd from a 82 in it. i noticed when i push/hold in the clutch pedal, it make a weird noise. to me it sounds like a little exhaust leak. i replaced the throw out and pilot bearing when i installd the tranny and it shifts and does everything just fine. except it makes this weird noise....i just wanna know what it is and if i need to fix it or just not worry bout it.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: 5spd makeing noise
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:45:05 PM »
could be the input bearing, and when u push the clutch in, i takes the load off the bearing that has some slop in it, and it wobbles around.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
The input shaft bearing is the weak link on the 1st gen 5speed trannys, so it wouldn't surprise me. If you're feeling rich, have Marlin rebuild it into an L52HD! And make sure you don't shift into 5th until you're up around 60+ mph. That was the issue with those trannys. Cruising along at 55-60mph for hours in 5th gear and it was way below the optimal rpms for that gear, and it put a large load on that bearing, which was undersized anyways. The L52HD takes care of that problem and is overall stronger than a regular L52.

Anyways, you could just replace the input shaft bearing, too, if it ends up being your problem.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Since you only hear the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, you are having an issue with the release bearing.

You are NOT reusing the same release bearing and collar, fork, slave cylinder, or return spring that were on the L43. They will not work with the '81 and newer transmissions.

This noise can be made by installing the release bearing backwards on the yoke. The writing on the bearing always goes away from the pressure plate.

Also, if a '81 and newer style release bearing was installed against the worn 20R pressure plate, it could be making noise due to the fact that the new bearing is not mating in the same wear pattern that the lighter duty L43 release bearing made on the fingers of the pressure plate.

If the engine does not slow down noticeably when the pedal is depressed, you should be OK.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

JoeWelder [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
thanks guys. atleas if i do run into a problem...ill know what to look for.

JoeWelder [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »
well im sure some of you seen my post about the thrust washers/bearings, well 5 minutes down the road the motor went. so now i pulld the motor and i can try and fix this dang noise to. its only gotten worse since i first posted it. now its just a horrible squealing noise the whole nieghborhood can hear when ever i touch the clutch pedal.

when i put the 5 spd in, i used the same clutch and flywheel that its been mated up to. inlcuding the fork and everything, i did reuse my slave cylinder tho. only problem i noticed was mine was about a quarter inch to long so i just cut it down and it fits perfect.

im not sure on what you mean on "realease bearing" im assuming its the throw out bearing, i installd it the same way the old one was. i lookd for writing but couldnt see any. one side is kind of rounded and the other side isnt...the rounded side is against the clutch... should i go ahead and try buying another one, maybe a more expensive one.

also when i removed my starter, i noticed the flywheel has been grinding on it a little bit.

1980 swap Under Construction

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jan '09
  • GET SOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
i did a swap on my 1980 toy sr5 from a l43 to a l52 everything bolted up, i did buy a bran new l52 cluch also so i think your bellhousing is lose or somthing,.....flywheel is not bolted down tight... somthing like that...