Author Topic: School me on car audio stuff  (Read 16517 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: School me on car audio stuff
« Reply #120 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
X2
Sometimes it's difficult to understand what someone is trying to explain when you don't have much knowledge of what they are talking about. When you buy finally buy your amp it will come with instructions & how to wire it with pictures. Here is a link that I randomly picked off the net. I hope this will help you get a better understanding  :crossed:

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/kac8404.pdf

Thanks

Something I haven't seen mentioned here (apologies if it has) is to be sure the fuse you put in is as close to the battery as possible/practical. (usually less than 18 inches is best)

Unless the amp has a built in fuse (typical of most newer amps) the fuse you install near the battery is simply to protect the battery cable circuit, which supplies you amp's power and not the amp itself, in the event it shorts to ground (IE. in an accident   :thumbdown:  or wheeling mishap.  :biggthumpup: ). Otherwise the fuse can be sized by the amp's wattage output. You can also go bigger if you'd like.

The formula for watts is (A x V = W)  inversely the formula for amps would be W / V = A

For example: A 12V system with a 120W amp will draw 10 Amps.  But remember you'll typically see closer to 14V while your rig is running so run that fuse as big as practical.

Another thing to consider is how many amps you will be running on that same fuse (the one near the battery) because it has to acommodate for all amp draws.

For example: If one amp draws a max of 10 amps and another draws a max of 20 amps then you will need a min of a 30 amp fuse.

Even if you over size the fuse near the battery and if you don't have built in fuses on the amp you're installing, it would still be best to install the proper size fuse for each amp at the amp's batt wire near the amp itself. This would be the amp's circuit protection fuse.

Note: the term 'fuse' is used here but my preference is to use a circuit breaker so the long term affect of heat doesn't affect the battery connection for the amp/amps which will often degrade the voltage supply for any good high powered amp system.

Reason being that as a fuse get close to it's amp limits (without exceeding the amp rating) it will get hot. Which in turn can cause the ends of the fuse strip to become desoldered from the end caps of the fuse creating an "open". This happens more often and faster than you might think. The problem here is....the fuse goes "open" on the ends and not in the middle because this "open fuse" is caused from resistance brought on by the heat created from the high amperage draw and NOT from over loading the circuit (too many amps).  Remember we didn't exceed the amp rating of the fuse in this example.

If this is all new to you, you may have to read it a couple of times to fully understand it. I hope I was clear in my explanation. Trust me, this understanding is definitely worth the trouble because not doing this isn't worth the trouble you'll have later with blown fuses and other crap that will just frustrate you to no end. Been there done that.  :smack:

On another note, also it's a good idea to solder all your high amp conections (battery cable ends) so they wont get hot and get corroded over time which again will quickly deminish the cable connections and let your stereo system voltage suffer. I do this with all my installs and have yet to have any problems. Even after all my years of leaky windshields and what not.

Sorry for the long post, it's just easier than multiple post for all the same words. I think.  :hammerhead:
Hope this helps.  :beerchug:

And thanks

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
anyone have mtx subs? I am thinking about em but not to sure on them...

I have had 2 polk 10s
a kenwood 12
gay walmart pioneer 10 and 12
and a 12 xplod

None of them really sounded all that great. I need to get an amp to but not sure what to look for
I want to run 2 10s
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009, 09:26:04 PM by Y_K »
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
you need to come by and hear my system.
you will want one of my 12s

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #123 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »
you need to come by and hear my system.
you will want one of my 12s

wat kinda subs?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »
fosgate T1 12s
2 in my dodge and the hardest hitting loudest subs I have heard in my town