Author Topic: immunizations for infants  (Read 2563 times)

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
immunizations for infants
« on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
My wife and I just had our first baby.  We have been reading up on and heard horror stories from people's kids showing signs of autism after getting their immunizations.  We don't know which way to go on the issue.  Some people are telling us don't do it, and some are saying it's safe and don't worry.  When our baby was born, they gave her a Hep. A shot and we didn't even know it. so we got the second one and she has one more to go to finish it off.  Then our pediatrician scared us by saying whooping caugh is a big issue and we need to get it, but it comes in a cocktail shot that is called DPT.  I know the p stands for pertosis or something like that and the t is for tetanus.  not sure on the d though.  

Also, according to the immunization records, she has 27 more shots to go within the next couple of years.  I know for a fact i'm not going to give them all to her.  One is for HPV, which is an STD and also a flue shot, along with Hep B and C.  I didn't get any of my hep shots til i was in high school.  Why are they giving them to infants!?

My question is what do you guys do?  Has everyone with kids given them their immunizations?  
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: immunizations for infants
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
We did all of the immunizations for both of our kids except for the flu shot. You can ask your doc to break them up in to less shots, but that means more visits. (that's what we did).

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
Ive made it this far through life with no immunizations except for polio. I never got whooping cough or anything else. My high school didnt like it but it was my familys choice to say yay or nay.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
the shots are fine. there is no proof saying autism is caused by shots. not havign the shots is far more dangerous than not having been immunized

DPT is diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis

also, you can not enroll your child in most public schools if you do not have proof of immunizations
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
Jumbo is right for the school enrollment. My oldest has a learning disability. She had a high fever when she was an infant. A fever is common after getting some shots. I don't know for sure if any of her shot were the cause of her disability. She's 19 now. My other 3 kids have had all the required shot for school but I waited until the last minute to get them. None of them have a disability.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Jumbo is right for the school enrollment. My oldest has a learning disability. She had a high fever when she was an infant. A fever is common after getting some shots. I don't know for sure if any of her shot were the cause of her disability. She's 19 now. My other 3 kids have had all the required shot for school but I waited until the last minute to get them. None of them have a disability.

I had a coworker tell me she signed a waiver and opted to not have the shots done on her son, and when he went to school, they just maid her sign another waiver.

when you say you waited til the last minute, you mean you waited til they were old enough to go to school?  our pediatrician is giving us a hard time for not wanting to give our 4 month old 7 to 8 shots at a time.  she is already way behind on her shots, but I don't feel confortable giving her that many shots all at once at such a young age.  it just doesn't seem like a 4 month olds body can handle that much junk in their system all at once.  yet alone starting them at 1 month old.  I would like to postpone the rest that we havn't got yet for as long as possible, but how long is that?
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
Thats how I got thru school. Ma and Pa signed a waiver. Both me and my sister
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »
I think eventually we want to give them to her, but not now, or any time withing the next few years.  I just read the autism is up to 1 out of 100 kids.  and as much as the dr might tell me there is no hard evidence linking the shots to autism, i still am skeptical about it. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
We've allowed all the shots except the flu shot to our daughter... she'll be 3 years old here in a few months.

I briefly read through some of the responces and high fever is something to be concerned about if you end up going with the shots. Our daughter was constantly fighting fever's after she got her shots but we where able to maintane them thankfully. As of right now she seems to be doing very well and is extremely smart for a kid of her age  :)

When I was a kid there wasn't a 10th of the shots kids get today....
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Oh yeah, give the kid tylenol about 30 minutes before the shots. Makes it easier on them. :twocents:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
my daughter is in great health, and she is 6. we got her all her shots....

my son just turned 6 months old, he also got a bunch of shots, he is jsut fine

i am active duty in the military, so i have to stay up on shots, i have to get the annual flu shots, i also recently had a 3rd dose of the anthrax shot, and my smallpox shot is healing up now.....

with autsim, they might say it is 1 in every 100, but how many of those are actually proven? today's doctors want to prescribe meds.... big business doesnt care about the patient, they want $......

look at how much they say your kid has add or adhd..... it's an excuse.... i was diagnosed with add, way back when before it was commonplace..... what helped? challenging me.... not pills or excuses
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
I totally agree w/ Jimbo there's a ton of kids out there that get incorrectly diagnosed when all they need is attention or to be disciplined.

People who worry about this stuff are the same people that go to bed w/ tinfoil hats on IMO.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I had a coworker tell me she signed a waiver and opted to not have the shots done on her son, and when he went to school, they just maid her sign another waiver.

when you say you waited til the last minute, you mean you waited til they were old enough to go to school?  our pediatrician is giving us a hard time for not wanting to give our 4 month old 7 to 8 shots at a time.  she is already way behind on her shots, but I don't feel confortable giving her that many shots all at once at such a young age.  it just doesn't seem like a 4 month olds body can handle that much junk in their system all at once.  yet alone starting them at 1 month old.  I would like to postpone the rest that we havn't got yet for as long as possible, but how long is that?
Don't really know how long we waited to get their shots, we were just never on time getting them. Also, there were not as many shots as there are now.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
My wife and I just had our first baby.  We have been reading up on and heard horror stories from people's kids showing signs of autism after getting their immunizations.  We don't know which way to go on the issue.  Some people are telling us don't do it, and some are saying it's safe and don't worry.  When our baby was born, they gave her a Hep. A shot and we didn't even know it. so we got the second one and she has one more to go to finish it off.  Then our pediatrician scared us by saying whooping caugh is a big issue and we need to get it, but it comes in a cocktail shot that is called DPT.  I know the p stands for pertosis or something like that and the t is for tetanus.  not sure on the d though. 

Also, according to the immunization records, she has 27 more shots to go within the next couple of years.  I know for a fact i'm not going to give them all to her.  One is for HPV, which is an STD and also a flue shot, along with Hep B and C.  I didn't get any of my hep shots til i was in high school.  Why are they giving them to infants!?

My question is what do you guys do?  Has everyone with kids given them their immunizations? 

Did you get shots as a kid? and if so arent you fine?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
Did you get shots as a kid? and if so arent you fine?
yea, I got all my shots as a kid.  I talked to my mom about it and she waid there were not nearly as many shots.  We'll give her all her shots, but i'm pretty sure we're just going to drag it out and have them give one at a time rather than 5 or 6 at a time.  thanks for the feedback.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
i couldnt believe one day I took my princess in and they gave her about 7-9 shots at ounce, she didnt like it but she was fine no problems

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
I have my issues with some of the vaccination practices, but they have done far more good than bad. Like someone said earlier...the autism thing, Me thinks they may have changed their standards on what is autism. At times it seems if you're not a member of Mensa...you have autism. So many behaviors taken for granted in the past are now a part of the alphabet soup brigade. You kid is a little snot, it's not your fault...he has LPS or some other ailment. For crap's sake...RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME!!!  :cheese:

Does everything under the sun need to be vaccinated against?

If "they" can convince us we're all one step from keeling over dead...then we'll all be a bit more understanding when "they" force medicine down our throats...followed by a big ol' dose of taxes to pay for the "free" health care.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
For crap's sake...RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME!
My mother-in-law claims to have that!

87 4Runner redo

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
I have my issues with some of the vaccination practices, but they have done far more good than bad. Like someone said earlier...the autism thing, Me thinks they may have changed their standards on what is autism. At times it seems if you're not a member of Mensa...you have autism. So many behaviors taken for granted in the past are now a part of the alphabet soup brigade. You kid is a little snot, it's not your fault...he has LPS or some other ailment. For crap's sake...RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME!!!  :cheese:

Does everything under the sun need to be vaccinated against?

If "they" can convince us we're all one step from keeling over dead...then we'll all be a bit more understanding when "they" force medicine down our throats...followed by a big ol' dose of taxes to pay for the "free" health care.

thats the same way I feel.  some of the vaccines, like measles, and mumps, and polio aren't even around anymore.  or at least not in the U.S.  and I don't plan on travleing outside the u.s. anytime soon, or ever.  I don't know.  I'm still up and down on the whole thing. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
My mother-in-law claims to have that!

No offense...she should maybe look into some exercise.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
thats the same way I feel.  some of the vaccines, like measles, and mumps, and polio aren't even around anymore.  or at least not in the U.S.  and I don't plan on travleing outside the u.s. anytime soon, or ever.  I don't know.  I'm still up and down on the whole thing. 

The world was completely different when my Ma, or even I, was a kid. Flu wiped out vast populations...measles and polio scarred people for life...it was, and in many ways still is, a miracle. Now, you can't go far without finding a doctor or hospital...health care is much better now. I'm just not sure the Feds need to forcing us to conform to a standard from the last millennium. On the other hand, I try to see both sides of things...you don't have to travel for someone from a nation stuck in the 7th century to make it to your town. At the speed of travel these days...a pandemic is just one group tour away from reality.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
The world was completely different when my Ma, or even I, was a kid. Flu wiped out vast populations...measles and polio scarred people for life...it was, and in many ways still is, a miracle. Now, you can't go far without finding a doctor or hospital...health care is much better now. I'm just not sure the Feds need to forcing us to conform to a standard from the last millennium. On the other hand, I try to see both sides of things...you don't have to travel for someone from a nation stuck in the 7th century to make it to your town. At the speed of travel these days...a pandemic is just one group tour away from reality.
X2  :thumbs:
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

They arent around because we continue to get shots for it........
Some meds are fine, some you should only take if really needed.
 I never get a flu shot, and never take cold meds, and I never get sick, go figure.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »
No offense...she should maybe look into some exercise.
Yeah......she gets that feeling she needs to exercise, she goes lay on the couch 'til that feeling goes away!

:rofl2:

87 4Runner redo