Author Topic: 4.7 Transfercase  (Read 2755 times)

sweet85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
4.7 Transfercase
« on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
So I'm looking into getting a MC transfercase with 4.7's. But I wanted to make sure you still keep 4hi. Guys talk about not having enough high gear to keep up with everyone else on flatter parts of the trail. Thats one of the reasons I hear people wanting to go with a dual case setup so they can have higher gears also. But if you still keep your 4hi, why not just put it 4hi for higher speeds. Thats what myself and others do. The rubicon's have the 4.1 low but you still have 4hi. Might seem like a dumb question but one that I dont know.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: 4.7 Transfercase
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »
Yes, with a single case and 4.7s you still have a stock 4HI. Just the low range is super low. Depending on your axle gears and tire size though you can still go pretty fast even in low range. When I had a single 4.7 case, 4.10 axle gears and 32" tires, I could go up to 45 MPH (53 mph if I redlined it) in 5th gear 4LO. usually just used 1st and 2nd for crawling, 5th for faster sections and if I really needed it just put it back in 4HI for long distances where I wanted to go fast without winding it out. I loved my 4.7 gears with a singe case. Wouldn't have gone nearly as many places as I did if I hadn't had them. Dual transfercases obviously give you a giant range of gears but for someone looking for some cheap offroad gearing without the expense that duals entail, 4.7s are a great start IMO. Then when you do go duals, you already have your 4.7 gears  :yesnod:

Just my  :twocents:. I ran a single case with 4.7s for about 3 years before I went duals, wouldn't have changed a thing if I had to go back.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
Well I just regeared to 4.88's locked f/r running 33's. Is it low enough to where you dont even have to really use the gas sometimes or what? I should probably get some chromoly birfs too huh? Especially going that low and having that much torque. I haven't broken one yet but have stock for spares.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
there are plenty of times when 4hi is too high and 4.7 is too low like wheelin in the snow. i went dual cases first and loved keeping stock low and being able to double down when needed then again i do a lot of snow wheelin. when i put 4.7s in it i found myself using 4.7 for technical stuff and then using the stock low for the rest of the trail.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
I can see where that would come in handy. Sometimes I wonder if it would even be worth the money for me. The same thing when it comes to getting chromoly birfs. I know that is always a big subject with newer solid axle guys. Everyone says running stock case gears and 33's not to worry but I'm not so sure. And I know that if I got 4.7's I would need chromo's. I'm so limited on how often I get to wheel. Only a hand full of times a year.  Being from VA originaly, I mostly wheel in the Apalachian mountains. Terrain similar to Tellico. A good bit of crawling but some technical steep slab and washed out rutted old fire and supply roads that were used during the civil war. I definately wished that we got more snow than we have the passed couple of years. I could move to a base out west in a heart beat but I cant convence the wife. But I do love the west coast. Some of the best wheelin in the world. I definately want the twin stick though. The instructions dont seem to hard but not sure about trying it. :nerv:

Saphteemon

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Playin in the Mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
I just had 4.7 installed.  best improvement to date... :twocents:
86 4runner, I hope my junk makes it.....

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
When I upgrade it will be a single 4.7 case not doubles, of course I'm cheap and it's for the Econowheeler. Gotta keep the costs down on the thing. Like has already been said 4x4 low is not just 1st gear you do have 4 more gears. When I had doubles on my Samurai I would usually only use the 4 to 1 Klune and leave the tcase in hi range 1 to 1. I'd only enlist the low 4x4 in those really technical sections where going really slow was needed.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Saphteemon

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Playin in the Mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
I just had 4.7 installed.  best improvement to date... :twocents:

my junk btw
86 4runner, I hope my junk makes it.....

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
That place looks vaguely familiar. :gap:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
I think the most inviting thing about only doing the 4.7's is that you don't have to mess with the driveline or mounts. Makes doing it quick and easy.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
I ran single 4.7s for a couple months ...untill my cv broke on the front driveshaft....then i set up my duals for less angle on the front shaft, Best thing i have ever done :twocents: :beerchug:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
Have to admit that is one of the benefits of duals.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
Well I just regeared to 4.88's locked f/r running 33's. Is it low enough to where you dont even have to really use the gas sometimes or what? I should probably get some chromoly birfs too huh? Especially going that low and having that much torque. I haven't broken one yet but have stock for spares.

I have been running my original, stock 85 birfs in the front since I got the truck 4 years ago. Now I have duals and a rear lincoln locker and have ran both Fordyce and Rubicon with them no problem. As long as you don't beat your front end and hammer down with the wheels fully cranked and in a bind, stock birfs are fine. When I can afford it I will update to Longfields but I treat my truck pretty good and don't beat her if I don't have to.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
having an open diff also helps
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
having an open diff also helps

Oh yeah, and that

Front lockers are over rated anyway :gap:

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »
ran stock birfs on 36's, 5.29 with a spool up front and duals for about 4 years never had a problem. Ran about 90% of the trails at the hammers like that

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
Wow! I havn't wheeled with alot of solid axle yotas in my area but majority of them have never had any problems with the stock birfs. Although I'm sure if you wheel like crazy and a hard a it, its only a matter of time before breaking one. I've seen more front dana 30 axles on TJ's break then anything else. I am really easy on my truck also. I'm very quick to pull a winch cable because I'm so cautious of breaking.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »
I think the most inviting thing about only doing the 4.7's is that you don't have to mess with the driveline or mounts. Makes doing it quick and easy.

when i did duals i needed a new front shaft and figured a real crossmember would be nice too so i did duals. then down the line i could add a 4.7 case for the cost of gears
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »
Wow! I havn't wheeled with alot of solid axle yotas in my area but majority of them have never had any problems with the stock birfs. Although I'm sure if you wheel like crazy and a hard a it, its only a matter of time before breaking one. I've seen more front dana 30 axles on TJ's break then anything else. I am really easy on my truck also. I'm very quick to pull a winch cable because I'm so cautious of breaking.
Thats what happens when they go over those big speed bumps at the mall  :greengrin:

As for birfs i have seen a few of them go on some of the more difficult trails, then again i have seen 44's, 60's and even a rockwell go by by at the hammers!

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Well, so it basically comes down to $600 bones for long's or cross your fingers and dont "throttle out when in doubt".   :crossed:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
Well, so it basically comes down to $600 bones for long's or cross your fingers and dont "throttle out when in doubt".   :crossed:

Yeah really stock birfs hold up fine. You said you have an extra set? Keep em with you when you wheel if you are that worried. Get Longs when you can afford it.

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »
I agree stock birfs hold up fine my truck is loked up front with stock birfs, nice and easy does it.  If you're geard low enough you can crawl right through.

Oh and hey Saphteemon I see a 1st gen there in your pic, what kind of top is that you have?

sweet85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
It is made by softopper.com. It is similar to the can-back but half the price and it folds down towards the back of the truck just like a jeep top. I like. It has held up really well so far and no leaks. Easy install also.