Author Topic: A weighty issue  (Read 2528 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
A weighty issue
« on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
Alright, I saw a segment of Truck U the other day. They were taking an older F350 and “upgrading” the rear springs to current F550 springs, along with some sort of reverse flip flop airbag system.

I’m wondering, not about that particular show, more about the idea of changing weight rating and the certification of those changes.

What exactly is involved in determining a weight rating (HP, spring rates, frame construction, etc)? I’m mean as far as DOT is concerned. I don’t think DOT gives hoot if your axle can handle the load they care more about if your springs fall off and your truck goes out of control.

Could one take an older F350 (or the like) up to the, slightly, higher weight rating of a newest crop of trucks? If so, how would you get it certified and documented, so your state troopers don't cite you for an overload and more importantly...you run a safe truck?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: A weighty issue
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
getting it certified i dont know. older trucks usually weigh more.

4 things you need to tow safely for the basics:
1. truck weight.
2. wheelbase. longer it is the more stable. dually is more stable as well.
3. pulling power.
4. stopping power.

weight is about the permanent weight of the truck. bumpers, frame, body, bed, etc. not adding a couple hundred pounds of sand and saying your weight rating has gone up. if the truck is significantly outweighed by its load (assuming no trailer brakes) the trailer will push you around.

longer wheelbase vehicles are more stable with heavier loads/longer loads when it comes to emergency maneuvers.

power. need enough to maintain speed limits without taking an hour to reach it. usually not a problem with 3/4-1 ton vehicles.

braking ability. BIGGEST factor on older vehicles. need to be able to stop the load in a close to normal distance without losing control of the trailer. trailer brakes make a huge impact on what your vehicle can safely tow.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »
There's a lot more than just springs involved, I'm not too sure you can actually get your manufactures gross vehicle weight rating changed. Here's just a few things off the top of my head axles do matter, brakes, calipers, rotors, drums, frame, springs, tires, etc, etc.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
several years ago i knew a guy that insisted he could make his F300, yes it was a OLD truck,  early 70's era, cause dad's was a 1969, and it had the same specs

anyway he insisted he could haul as much as a F800  a friend of mine had, hauling bulk firewood from logging sites after the logging crews left

well he added another rear axle from a 1 ton truck behind his rear axle, giving him 10 tires on the ground
well, yes  he got it loaded,  had just as much wood as the f800

going down the first long grade that only required a light touch on the brakes of the F800, he was standing on the brake pedal and we couldnt only smell the brake smoke, we could SEE the brakes smoking, he got just past a small curve he let it go with no brakes, just as he hit the river bridge  a state trooper came around the corner up ahead

when we went by it looked like the trooper was probably going to call the fire department because the brakes  appeared to be so hot they were about to ignite

when he FINALLY got  to the lot where we were unloading he came thru the slight ditch we had to cross and his frame buckled  right behind the cab

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »
Used to load my brothers 69 C10 with 8k in the bed far too many times enough that the coil overloads had buckled the frame where they sat, the axle housing was also dented where they say....... 

Poor little single horse trailer with the box torn off had 3950lbs of scrap steel in it awhile back... My ranger wanted to die on that trip. :hahaha:

As far as certifying it I'm not sure on that one..  As long as you don't have a business name on the door and a DOT number along with it you would likely never have an issue with a scale. 

My dads '01 3500 4x CTD is licensed at 16k with only the addition of air bags and they never inspected it... 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »
As far as certifying it I'm not sure on that one..  As long as you don't have a business name on the door and a DOT number along with it you would likely never have an issue with a scale. 

i thought that too... but i have heard of them cracking down on people that are towing commercial sized trailers with pickups..... not sure what the issue was, but its huge on pirate.... about goosenecks over a certain size or something :dunno:

my old 2wd toyota standard cab, standard bed 1/2 ton was technically registered as COMMERCIAL, as is our ranger and my 84 xcab 4x4..... so maybe thats how they are nailing people? truckls are automatically commercial vehicles? regardless if they are or arent?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2008, 07:10:02 AM »
If you have a flatbed on your truck you'll be lumped in with the commercial guys... Thats why I never built a bed for the old mans truck....  If you are pulling a triple axle they are likely to look at ya too.  I'm building a single axle with duals to negate that issue.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
There are laws on the books that require non commercial class A & B licenses on towing, length and gvwr. You don't need the physical but you are required to take both the written and driving tests.

As to the reason CA issues commercial plates to all pickup trucks is due to the fact that they can be used in commercial service, if you notice taxi cabs and courier vehicles all have commercial plates since they are used completely for commercial purposes. I don't know why they require personal trucks to sport commercial plates its has always been that way here. In AZ my pickup did not have a commercial plate since I don't use it at all in a commercial capacity. They did ask though before I got my plates.

I think anything over 40' requires at least a non commercial class A and any vehicle or trail with 3 or more axles also require one. I'm not sure where the gvwr kicks in to where you will need one but I'm sure it is related to number of axles and the length since you can carry more with those combinations.

You could petition the DMV to remove the commercial status of your truck to an RV and then you can get the regular plates. That's why you see some vans with non commercial plates and some with since they can be dual purpose.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
I have been to the DMV a lot about this and also talked o a couple CHP's.  Any car trailer over 10,000 pounds and you need a non commercial class A.  same with 3 axles.  not sure about length.  but it is also up to the CHP to decide if it is safe.