Author Topic: A/C Help  (Read 4049 times)

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
A/C Help
« on: Aug 14, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »
Hey guys i need some help.  I have an 81, was originally equipped with A/C, idiot who owned the truck b4 more removed it, now im putting it back in.  Any idea where the vacuum lines run from the switch on the fender wall?  Also, hen i switch it to cool, i don't hear a click at all like a relay switch or my clutch engaging.  Any help would be great.  And pictures are worth a thousand words.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: A/C Help
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
check out hte vacuum diagram on the hood, its got the vacuum stuff
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »
I have the factory 81 service manual, any my hood diagrams are FUBAR.  It has an A/C section in the book, but it doesnt show you crap besides, this is what this valve looks like, this is where the components go, and this is how you take apart the compressor to the last little tiny screw! but no vac diagram!  the main emissions one doesnt have that VSV on the picture, its strictly for A/C.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

krash81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
I think on most vehicles the clutch won"t engage if there isn't any freon in the system. This would be a good time to convert to r-134. R-12 is pretty expensive if you have any leaks. Just change your drier and fittings. And you can charge it yourself.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
Hey man how is all that stuff fittin together???
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »
you can get a new vacuum diagram from the dealership based on your vin.... it costs $6 @ my local stealership, and $2.33 from aaron @ lithia (kneedonnate's brother) he's a member here.... awillis@lithia.com

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I havent had time to try to charge the system.  lol my mechanic who said he wouldn't help me now is helping me.  He is saying i should charge it with propane.  you guys ever heard of doing this?
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I havent had time to try to charge the system.  lol my mechanic who said he wouldn't help me now is helping me.  He is saying i should charge it with propane.  you guys ever heard of doing this?

are you kidding? i say you need to find a new mechanic

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
  He is saying i should charge it with propane.  you guys ever heard of doing this?
Yes, and ABSOLUTELY, DO NOT do this!  :nonono:  Too dangerous, being that propane, as I'm sure you know, is highly flammable  :flamer: . One leak (and we all know an A/C system is prone to leaking) and it could be really bad. Like 'burn your rig to the ground' sorta bad.  Absolutely do not do this in an automotive application. Too many possibilities for a fire or an explosion since you're talking about compressing super heated gases.  :sheerterror:

It has been known on the refrigerant scene that some off brands of refrigerant had some level of propane in their composition which have caused major car fires. This is why there are machines for properly identifying refrigerant types and compositions.

Sounds like this guy (no pun intended) just wants to burn you.  :dunno:  :twocents:

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
lol, no hes a good guy.  hes a buddy of mine. he is just trying to save me money.  ill just take it to an A/C shop to get charged.  But it would work, just too dangerous right?
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »
lol, no hes a good guy.  hes a buddy of mine. he is just trying to save me money.  ill just take it to an A/C shop to get charged.  But it would work, just too dangerous right?
I'm sure he's cool,  :beerchug:.   Didn't mean to offend  :outtahere:. I'm sure he meant well.  :therethere:

Work?  Maybe.   As good? Maybe, maybe not.  Too dangerous?  Definitely.   Better to just do it right for safety's sake? Absolutely. 

This is one area where saving money just isn't worth it IMO.  :twocents:

I'm sure you'll do what you feel is best.  :thumbs:

Enjoy your project. Sounds like a good one.  :beer:

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
everyone always means well. i just thought propane wouldnt b that dangerous.  it can leak, but how is it going to ignite?  no spark.  its all contained in teh engine.  plus propane needs O2 to ignite, it wont light by itself.  just trying to get info here, not arguing one way or the other.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
everyone always means well. i just thought propane wouldnt b that dangerous.  it can leak, but how is it going to ignite?  no spark.  its all contained in teh engine.  plus propane needs O2 to ignite, it wont light by itself.  just trying to get info here, not arguing one way or the other.
All it takes is a misfire from a spark plug, an accident which damages the condensor (since colliding metals may spark). Sure the argument could be made,"what about gas tanks?"  Gas tanks aren't mounted in the front most of the vehicle for this reason. But of course, nothing is perfect, I know.  :greengrin:

Not all the components are in the engine compartment. The evaporator core is in the dash. I don't know if you smoke or not but if it should leak and you might be smoking or someone else is smoking or even just a flick of a lighter, for example. Sure probably small odds but possible.

O2 is everywhere, just not in pure form and it is enough to sustain combustion. If that were not true propane grilles and stoves every where would be worthless.  :rivers:

Most importantly it has already been proven with the off brand refrigerants as I mentioned earlier.  I just wanted for no one to have such a possibility of getting hurt by this means. That's all.  :twocents:

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
no, the propane stoves light when they mix with the air. that's how it works.  ive tried to blow up a propane tank, the gas only ignites.  if it was flamable by itself, it would burn back into the propane can and explode the can.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
no, the propane stoves light when they mix with the air. that's how it works.  ive tried to blow up a propane tank, the gas only ignites.  if it was flamable by itself, it would burn back into the propane can and explode the can.
True, it would have to leak out in order for it to mix with air and reach it's stoich ratio before being able to ignite. How is that not possible with this set up if it should leak?

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
True, it would have to leak out in order for it to mix with air and reach it's stoich ratio before being able to ignite. How is that not possible with this set up if it should leak?

never said that.  im agreeing with you guys.  im going to do it the right way.  i just wanted to make sure my understanding of the flammability of propane was correct... back on topic... lol  After the discussion of the dangers of using propane instead of R12, ive decided to take it to an AC shop to use R12.  Thanks for the info and opinions guys.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »
Still glad to know you're choosing the safer option.  :thumbs:  Stay cool!  :beerchug: