Author Topic: Calling all genius, t-case help  (Read 1776 times)

rickfabio

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Calling all genius, t-case help
« on: May 11, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
Hey guys n gals...great site and a sunny hello from South Africa.
I've got serious 'jeepenstein' that i need some help with. I've pretty much identified most of the drivetrain except for the gearbox and transfer case. The previous owner is convinced it's from a Prado (80 series), but i'll try describe what can't be seen in the photos. It's 5pd fwd shift (gear shift and Hi/lo are on gearbox) and the t-case has the port for a shifter on top but it has a plate cover. I'm convinced it's a r151 box purely from pictures i've seen but it could be an r150, i just don't know. At the top of the box (by shifter base) there is rubber tubing that goes to the base of hi/low shifter and another that goes down to a nipple on the 'actuator' on the t-case. I'm not sure if it's purely venting but there are no other tubes going anywhere else so i'd have to think it is. At this stage it's running 2wd probably because all the wiring going from the transmissin area to the engine bay ends off with 2 plugs both of which are blanked off. There are 2 wires coming from the transmission going to some relay in the dash that i can hear click when i engage 'lo', but thats it. I'm hoping it's a part time 4wd t-case that once i figure out how to wire it up the 4wd will engage but i don't know where to start and don't want to risk damaging anything by applying power to the actuator (i would't even know which pins to give juice). So i guess i'm hoping one of you will recognise the setup and maybe identify exactly what i have. I'm scared it's a permanent 4wd with cdl, in which case there's something seriously wrong in the t-case, but lets see what you doods and doodettes rekon?
Much appreciated
Rick

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all genius, t-case help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
well, i can tell you that it's definitely not an 80 series t-case.  They have both outputs on the right side w/ no center rear output.  Now, IIRC, the prado is actually a 90 series, so it might have the centered rear output, but we never got the prado in the US, soo....

I *think* the prado shares a drivetrain w/ 3rd and 4th gen US 4runners, which had options of both a part time t-case, and a full time t-case where it has a similar setup to the 80-series landcruiser.  In that setup, it would be all wheel drive, w/ a viscous coupler (differential) in the t-case.  when you put it in low, it locks the center diff (t-case diff).  Also, if you have the optional CDL (center diff lock) switch, you can lock it into actual 4 wheel drive while in High gear. 

Okay, that's the extent of my knowledge.  Check out this site forum.ih8mud.com, for more info.
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all genius, t-case help
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Hey Rick,
While from the pics I 'd have to say that is a R150F but I have also heard that the R151F was a forward shift (The US R151F is forward shift but with a RF1A gear drive t-case). So all I can say for sure is it is most defiantly a R-series transmission. The T-case is a Right handed drive VF1A (chain case found in USA 88-95 trucks and 93-97 T-100's) but I have only seen lift hand drive VF1A with a  2wd/4wd actuator. Very interesting but then again the US got screwed by Toyota.
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa: