Author Topic: I smell diesel fuel  (Read 4630 times)

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
I smell diesel fuel
« on: Oct 23, 2007, 05:42:40 PM »
So I have a ford with the 7.3 (99) and I am starting to smell diesel fuel when the air is on.  Not the air conditioning (haven't tried that yet) but only on vent...and it only stays for about 5 minutes after I start the truck.  It doesn't matter what direction the wind is blowing, so I know it is not just exhaust coming into the air.  I use a diesel additive (power service) and that has a distinct smell, and that is one thing I smell from the air vents.  The only thing I don't understand is it is only there when I first start the truck or when I leave it idleing.  Any suggestions on if it is a fuel leak or something?  Truck has 201,000 miles on it.  Thanks for any tips for fixing this or finding a leak.  I can smell fuel...not exhaust.  It does it whether the engine is warm or cold.
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: I smell diesel fuel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »
might have found the problem...backed out of the drive earlier and found a puddle of diesel on the ground...all I have to do tomorrow is find out where it is coming from.

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
If it is around the engine, check the injection lines. My 99 had a rubbout on one of the lines where it came in contact with the bracket that was holding it.

I was on vacation at the time, so I removed it and fixed it with soft solder and a camp stove.  :rofl2: Never had another problem with it.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I'll be checkin' it out first thing in the morning...hopefully it will be a cheap fix.

LOCKEDRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »
Look at the fuel supply line at the rear on the injection pump. The fitting will sometimes crack or the o-ring seal may be leaking. The lower intake valley will most likely be full of fuel.Go to your ford dealer and buy the fitting with o-ring as it has been revised. Good luck

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:07:13 AM »
lower intake valley is very shiny (wet) but hasn't started to pool yet.  I can't tell exactly where the leak is coming from.  If I crawl under on the passenger side, it looks like there is a tube the leads to nothing...almost like an overflow...and it has a drop of diesel on it and is wet.  All my steering parts on the passenger side have fuel on them...a lot of it...but not dripping.  Is the injector pump where the filter is...I know...stupid question but I just need to know.

I am new to working on diesels...where are the injectors and the injector pump (I have probably looked at the pump already and didn't realize what it was)...I have also looked everywhere for injectors but can't find them.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
the injector pump is at the front of the valley between the heads, not too far from the fuel filter (or at least where mine was on my 89 f250) but fuel would not be going from the valley to the passanger steering parts. if your looking at your motor from the front look directly in the middle of the intake towards the front. the injector pump is the item there at the very front of the valley (should have a plug or 2 connected to it since yours is a 99) that has a bunch of fuel lines coming out of it (metal lines). each line runs from the injector pump to the injector at each cylinder. check the connections at each spot (where the line connects to the injectors, at the injector pump, at the fuel filter) and you'll see it.

i had a leak on the water seperator at the base of my fuel filter (sitting at the front of the motor just outside of the passanger side cylinder head) that was doing a similar thing.

that tube on the passanger side would likely be from your ac system to let the condensation drain out. diesel fuel systems do not have an overflow that lets it drain out (like older gasoline vehicles do), instead it sends the extra fuel back to the tank.

once you have found the leak you need to bleed the fuel system to get rid of the air, otherwise the truck will stall out until all the air is gone from the line (which if you dont bleed it could take months). bleeding the line is simple. disconnect the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter to the injection pump (disconnect at the pump if you can) and turn the ignition key to on (but dont crank the starter yet). turn the switch off after you have a steady stream of fuel flowing out the line and reconnect the line. crank the truck (will take longer than normal) and you should be done.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:27:24 AM »
look at the picture 2nd row 2nd from the right. that object that is in the middle at the front of the valley with the black box connected to it is the injection pump. granted this is a 6.5L gm diesel that the pic is of but will hopefully give you the idea. http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/redhead1987/yukon%20cooling%20upgrade/

USAF EOD tech

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »
Thanks Red, I'll go back and see what I can find.

LOCKEDRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:04:30 PM »
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE INJECTORS,THEY ARE UNDER THE VALVE COVERS.THE INJECTION PUMP IS ON TOP OF THE INTAKE AND THE FEED SUPPLY LINE IN THE REAR .CHECK THE FITTING IN THE REAR OF THE PUMP,I AM ALMOST POSITIVE THATS YOU FUEL LEAK

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
I am just about to go out and check the pump...I am guessing that if it is leaking I will see a drip of fuel or something on the connection?  THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYBODY!!!  If it is the fitting, think the truck is good to go to drive 55 miles (closest ford dealership to me...in the next town)?  No wonder I couldn't find the injectors  :headscratch:

LOCKEDRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »
IF its not pouring out you should be fine. At least its not gas so it won't catch fire as easy. I have seen several with very bad leaks and not one have I seen with fire damage , so I would say it is safe to drive.

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
Nice, thanks for the help man, I will see how bad the leak is (hopefully that is where it is coming from) and let you know what happens.  Happened shortly after a cold front came in...if that would have anything to do with it (one day high was 87 and that night it was 36).

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE INJECTORS,THEY ARE UNDER THE VALVE COVERS.THE INJECTION PUMP IS ON TOP OF THE INTAKE AND THE FEED SUPPLY LINE IN THE REAR .CHECK THE FITTING IN THE REAR OF THE PUMP,I AM ALMOST POSITIVE THATS YOU FUEL LEAK
i was thinkin about the older 7.3, forgot they relocated the injectors when it became the power stroke (old ones were outside).

you should be fine, like lockedrunner said its much more difficult to ignite diesel than it is gas. most likely that temperature change did it, shrunk a gasket or a seal and when your truck warms up it expands back to the size it should be.

USAF EOD tech

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
I checked to see where the injector pump is...no luck.  The filter and housing are in front and nothing in the middle and then the turbo (from front to back).  Is the injector pump below the filter housing?  If so, I can't find any really wet areas around any connections.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
the injection pump will be below the filter housing, it will be there (just buried probably). trace your fuel lines from the injectors (you should be able to see the lines enter the valve covers, one line per cylinder) backwards and they will point you to the injection pump.

USAF EOD tech

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2007, 05:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the tip red...becoming a PITA just to find a fuel leak.

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
BTW, I believe the lines have seals or orings if I remmember correctly. You should be able to remove the air horn on top of the manifold to make it easier.

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:53:53 PM »
BTW, I believe the lines have seals or orings if I remmember correctly. You should be able to remove the air horn on top of the manifold to make it easier.

When you say air horn, are you talking about the plastic piece that says "powerstroke diesel", if so, that is already off...I'm really sorry for the questions.

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:59:54 PM »
It has been a long time for me, but I remmember something that came off to gain access to the pump. This was back in about 2002 when I had mine. I know I just got up on the engine while it was running and could see it leaking. Be carfull not to get near the fan or anything else.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
if you can unbolt the filter housing from its location and set it aside away from the fan/accessories area without disconnecting the fuel lines i would start there. look over the housing at each connection, you should be able to see signs of leaking fuel from there (if thats where its leaking from). removing the filter housing should also let you see the IP (injection pump). if you can see any signs of the fuel leak, fire the truck up and look in those areas.

USAF EOD tech

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
Just thought I would update this since I finally found the problem last week.  Ended up being the valve in the back of the fuel filter housing that is also the "water bleed off" valve.  It was the little yellow part that was in the back of the housing.  I was in New Mexico and it started dumping out fuel, figured that would be the best time to see where it was coming from.  Drove back down the mountain and went to ford...I didn't feel like dealing with it so I asked how much ford wanted to replace it...$250 bucks!!  The part cost $60 so I bought that instead, went to autozone and bought the $5 tool, and fixed it in the parking lot of a wal-mart.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
wish i would have seen this sooner.  i had the seals replaced in my fuel filter a couple months ago.  same thing would happen, it was have a pool of diesel on the ground and i could smell it everywhere under the truck.  looked like it was running of the back of the engine and down onto the bellhousing.  glad you got it fixed.