Author Topic: wierd axle noise  (Read 2655 times)

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
wierd axle noise
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:43:11 AM »
Alright Im hoping someone can help me figure this out. Its on a 2000 xj with a dana 30. for the past month or so ive noticed i had a sound when turning like this  knock knock knock knock it only has been happening sometimes. I opened up the front diff today and found that if I take the passenger tire and spin it very slow (jacked up) that it would sometimes dothe knock knock thing it felt like the tire was binding up in the axle housing. i removed axle checked u-joints and bearing they are fine, so i looked a little better at the gears and you can see where the spider gears are actually scratched and ou can feel the scratches with your finger. also the pinion shaft has about 1/4" of what looks to be almost burnt metal on what i think is the coast side ofthe gear. the ring gear is also wearing a little to where it almost feels sharp to the touch.   I will post some pictures tomorrow to try to better explain it. thanks
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

Not A Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: wierd axle noise
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »
just for tonight heres a rough pic of what the pinion looks like. the red area is where the black or burnt looking area is. and the spider gears are scrathed in about 2-3places on the front face on the top and bottom gears. the two that are hooked to the axles i dont think are scratched at all.
_[O!!!!!O]_

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:10:45 AM »
Rough spiders and burnt edges on the ring with a binding engagement.....Any history of the front running low on gear oil?  Also, did someone change the gears? a shop?  because I'm thinking they set the gears wrong....perhaps too tight on the backlash.Too deep or way too shallow onthe pinion depth.
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

Not A Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
I bought the jeep about a year ago and have not personally done anything to it. when i was getting ready to take the cover off of the diff I took out the fill plug and couldnt see any fluid, or even feel it with my finger through the hole. the fluid was however very very black. I do know that someone has been in there before because there was orange rtv gasket maker on there rather then a normal gasket. I will try to get some pics up today to see if that will help. I really appreciate your help man.
_[O!!!!!O]_

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »
from what it sounds like is the ring and pinion were installed incorrectly so check the condition of the ring
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
Rough spiders and burnt edges on the ring with a binding engagement.....Any history of the front running low on gear oil?  Also, did someone change the gears? a shop?  because I'm thinking they set the gears wrong....perhaps too tight on the backlash.Too deep or way too shallow onthe pinion depth.

ZUK is the :pokinit:!

Thanks for repling ZUK, i was telling NAT about some of your work i've read through and if any one knows gears on here it's you.

Not A Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:19:58 PM »
ok well heres the best pics i could get the camera didnt like taking them for some reason.   1st pic is the pinion. 2nd is the spider gears scratched on the inner most surface and 3rd is my rinf gear its only rubbing wierd on the inner edge...
_[O!!!!!O]_

Not A Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »
spiders and ring
_[O!!!!!O]_

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
considering that your spiders are damaged as well and you couldnt feel any fluid when you pulled the fill plug i'm leaning towards the diff running low on oil for a while. check your front diff, just to make sure it doesnt have the same problem.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Not A Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »
Alright Im hoping someone can help me figure this out. Its on a 2000 xj with a dana 30. for the past month or so ive noticed i had a sound when turning like this  knock knock knock knock it only has been happening sometimes. I opened up the front diff today and found that if I take the passenger tire and spin it very slow (jacked up) that it would sometimes dothe knock knock thing it felt like the tire was binding up in the axle housing. i removed axle checked u-joints and bearing they are fine, so i looked a little better at the gears and you can see where the spider gears are actually scratched and ou can feel the scratches with your finger. also the pinion shaft has about 1/4" of what looks to be almost burnt metal on what i think is the coast side ofthe gear. the ring gear is also wearing a little to where it almost feels sharp to the touch.   I will post some pictures tomorrow to try to better explain it. thanks

come on red! yeah but i still think something is wrong as far as something not in adjusment ya know?
_[O!!!!!O]_