Author Topic: had problems installing sky ebrake  (Read 1725 times)

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
had problems installing sky ebrake
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
went to install the sky transfer case ebrake i got for myself for Christmas. man what a pain rotor only had 2 hole patterns so we had to drill a 3rd to mate up with my 83 transfer case the tapped holes wouldn't work anyway because the flange bolts were smaller than the hole in the rotor. then when we tightened everything up the rear pad was so tight that you could not spin /move the rear tires . we ended up spacing out the sleeve in the caliber .
i  hope all this trouble was worth it anyone else run into any of these problems?
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: had problems installing sky ebrake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »
you would be much better off  drilling those flange holes out to 10mm  and using  the  larger stronger  bolts  and they should fit  the  disc  http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
I went with All Pros when I did mine. It works real good and had no problems installing it. The only thing I had to do was very slightly oblong one of the bolt holes on the mount so it would line up better with the bolt hole on the T-case.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

lal357 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
you would be much better off drilling those flange holes out to 10MM and using the  larger stronger  bolts  and they should fit  the disc http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

i might do that for right now i went and got some grade 8 5/16 bolts to bolt it up.i also had to put a washer between the front pad and the bushing that goes in between the pads because it was so tight it would not allow the wheels to spin
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

offroadin88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:53:53 AM »
I installed the all pro kit this past week on my truck I had a lot of problems and am still working them out.
first off my truck is a v6 and all pro says the kit wont work but anything is possible. I already swaped my chain driven xfer case with a gear driven one so it bolted up. I had to cut the ifs bracket off so the arm would clear.
I didnt have to redrill my rotor but one of the holes on the caliper was burred up and the sleve wouldnt even go in. a little time with the dremil took care of that.

the biggest problem I have is getting the caliper to fit the rotor. it sounds like you had it easy and just had to space the back pad a little. my back pad was just fine my front pad is way off. I havent figd out a way to fix this yet. If I use spacers it will bring the pad closer but then the arm on the caliper will have too much pull before engaging the pads.

I got it to the point where the pad will spin free and when engaged it will grip the pad. havent tried it on any sort of incline yet but im sure it will fail. ill prob mess with it some more and just deal with it if I cant get it better. when I add a second case ill cut up the mount and build it into my cross member that way I can put the mount exactly where I want it. all in all I give the all pro kit the  :thumbdown:

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
If you got it to the point where the pad will spin free and when engaged it will grip the pad, but still fail (when you try it), then check to see if the cable is really tight. If not then see about tighten it up more or shortening the cable. I swapped my brake system from my DD to my caged crawler cuz it had no e-brake at all. When I did swap it over I found it did the same thing as you mentioned cuz the cable was a little longer on it so I installed a shorter cable, that I just happen to have, and it worked fine.

I do like the thought of putting mounting it to the x-member though. It would probably make it easier to remove when needed.

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
Here are some pictures of the x-member/e-brake my buddy made for the 97 runner he is building. Marlin 10 degree adapter, FROR center section, and A-P e-brake.

He does real nice work and it is not finshed yet. He is working on the suspension now, it will be linked F & R. You can check out his build here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609488

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »
I like the x-member. I might have to do that with mine some time.