Author Topic: transfer case to smitherines...  (Read 1101 times)

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
transfer case to smitherines...
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:45:34 AM »
so me and my buddy are wheelin his 400,000 mile 82 yota and were climbing up this really steep hill with rocks mud and water.  What a great combo and hes hopping up and all of a sudden we hear this great boom!  :shocking:  :hocking: :shocking:  We thought it was the pinion gear but it wasnt.  We also had a spare transfer case in the back of the truck getting ready to deliver it to my other friend.  Turns out we hear like this grinding noise somewhere in the middle of the tranny and the transfer case and we try to drive the truck but its not goin anywhere.  The transmission shifted fine its like we didnt have any driveshafts on the truck.  So we checked out the under neat of the car and it looked fine and i thought it was the transfer case that broke so me and my buddy pulledhe transfer case out on this hot dirt road and to my belief i saw that the input shaft had completely snapped right were the splines end and it was just spinning in the tranny.  So we dicided to use the other transfer case in the bed of the truck and we had no gaskets for the transfer case that goes between it and the transmission.  We did have a big old oil pan gasket and it was brand new in the box.   
We used the box and sprayed the transfer case surface with paint and then we made like a pattern on the paper using the transfer case.  then we cut out holes out of the the  gasket box and it dawned on me that you could use thin cardboard for gaskets.  So far weve had that makeshift gasket in for 2 months and it still hasnt leaked.  Is that good or bad?  Ill try to post pics soon.....
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: transfer case to smitherines...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 09:48:48 PM »
Great job :_oops:
Got to do what you got to do.....

Save that broken t-case -- it will make a great dual case.
If you need an extra 21 spline input gear, give us a call, we put then in the metal bin ever day.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Jared [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
Re: transfer case to smitherines...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 11:16:30 PM »
Yah i might need one of those input shafts.  I got a buddy buying a rig with no transfer case and he could use this one that broke after i replace the input.  Oh yah marlin i got my truck running finally.  I got off my lazy butt and put the engine and tranny in.  Everything is smooth.  I redid the whole engines. complete rebuild new timing chain, water pump, alternator, new head job and head gasket.  I called dean today and i might be ordering a MC07 pretty soon. I bought a 82 4x4 that im parting out for 300 bucks and so far im up to 600.  Im definetly gonna get power steering so that brings me down to about 450 which is enough for your MC07.  I also got 3 L-43s i was wondering if you would want to buy or if i could put it towards My MC07. 

The kid from sacramento,
                                                                                                      JARED   :thumbs:
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch