Author Topic: Wobbleworld  (Read 1959 times)

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Wobbleworld
« on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
so i'm d riving to work down the 405 and i am almost to myexit when some strange caught my eye. it was  bigol' ford pu superduty 4x4 and something waddnt right. he loaded up the brakes and caused some brakecheckn behind him, but what was gnarly was at first  FrPass and RrDrv wheels started wobbln all crazy. then it'd stop. and im like whoa, i should try to recoed this :pokinit:, but i didnt think it'd happen agian. this time all four went agro!!! i swear i thoutgh i saw a bolt rolln out and towards da shoulder, and his :pokinit: wuold get all crazy, then settle, the an opposite pair would wobble, i dcont mean wobble like its some paint and it LOOKS cockeyed......his :pokinit: was rockn at least, at least 12 degrees side to side. by this time i am several cars lenghts back casue i dont want :pokinit: flyng through my new glass and this guy isnt pulln over. he slowed down each time it got all violent ut when it settled he'd accerlerate...  :screwy: ut anyhoo, i wish i had filmed this cause it was a definite candidate for D24x4 video. (disgrace 2 4x4)
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
Re: Wobbleworld
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
sounds intense...  I wonder what was up, and why you wouldnt pull over when it was going on?  Sounds scary enough,  wish you got it on vid too...
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »
I saw a guy's truck's rear passanger tire do the same thing. Looks crazy. At 75, I don't think he noticed because he never slowed or pulled over.
Anyone know what causes this.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:23:46 AM »
Tire unbalanced.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
the front probley has bad ball joints my blazer used to do that at about 70mph. i replaced the wheel bearings and ball joints and it was all good... its scary :pokinit: though...
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:31:01 AM »
When all 4 do it, ususally it's due to tire balancing.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »
dude i have never had big tires balanced at all and that :pokinit: has not ever happened to me except when i had bad ball joints...... a visible wobble is NOT due to tire balancing sorry buddy.....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

Redeyejedi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
i think the dumbass forgot to tightena few lugs. he prolly hand tightened, quickly wreched down but maybe didnt retighten after several miles. i dunno, but i so wish i caught it on video. it was the weirdest :pokinit:, casue only once did all four go wobbly, it was opposites...
but i snapped this while on the way to class one afternoon, and i dont what to say...

it's kinda hard to tell, but the rear of the truck is like 1-2 feet off kilter than the front. from directly behind, i could see all four rolln when i should maybe be able to see pass front, but i sawthe rears following to the right of the fronts.... :smack:   and no he didnt just change lanes...
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2007, 12:21:31 PM by Redeyejedi »

Redeyejedi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
dude i have never had big tires balanced at all and that :pokinit: has not ever happened to me except when i had bad ball joints...... a visible wobble is NOT due to tire balancing sorry buddy.....

yea this guy had what looked atv tire on his truck!!  in reality they were prolly 32" or33's but on that thing they looked soooo small. i still dont get why he didnt pull the frock over?
 - when i was a child.....the scariest sounds came from my closet or under my bed. now, the scariest noises come from beneath the hood or under the ride!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

If the wheel is not quite right and the tires are not balanced they can wobble right off the truck. I've seen and experienced a slightly bent rim on unbalanced tires and they can.

Redeyejedi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »
i hope this isnt a dumb inquiry......but which, would be more prone to uneaven rollin due to unbalanced tires? larger or small tires. i wanna say large due to angles being increase as tire diameter increases.... but :headscratch:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
It's harder to balance big tires, usually takes a lot of wieghts and even then they don't balance out. BB's work good though since they roll around and fine the balance point.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
i hope this isnt a dumb inquiry......but which, would be more prone to uneaven rollin due to unbalanced tires? larger or small tires. i wanna say large due to angles being increase as tire diameter increases.... but :headscratch:

I would think the larger would experience much more wobble due to unbalance, a 2 degree wobble on a 30in tire may only deflect at the tire a couple of mm but a 40in tire that same 2degrees will be more dramatic if that makes since,  kinda like drawing a 30in line and a 40in like at a 2 degrees off 90 and you will see the differance..

WILLYNILLY

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:24:39 PM »
i think the dumbass forgot to tightena few lugs. he prolly hand tightened, quickly wreched down but maybe didnt retighten after several miles. i dunno, but i so wish i caught it on video. it was the weirdest :pokinit:, casue only once did all four go wobbly, it was opposites...
but i snapped this while on the way to class one afternoon, and i dont what to say...

it's kinda hard to tell, but the rear of the truck is like 1-2 feet off kilter than the front. from directly behind, i could see all four rolln when i should maybe be able to see pass front, but i sawthe rears following to the right of the fronts.... :smack:   and no he didnt just change lanes...

Thats crazy,  I wonder what would cause that, it would have to be  a bent spring or something, causing the rear axle to point off the right?  Crazy what people will drive...

WILLYNILLY

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
my guess is someone put the lugs on finger tight and forgot to tighten them down with the 4way....i've almost forgotten a couple of times...one time i made it halfway up the alley from my garage after i was working on some stuff and i was like ....ummmmm...it feels like i forgot something  :hammer: oh yeaaaaa
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
ya my true guess lies on the lug nuts too!! it happens

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »
Tracking off to one side that bad is probably due to a sheared locating bolt in a rear spring due to loose u bolts.
Larger tires are harder balance and keep balanced because the tread is where the weight issue is, but we have to place the weights on the wheel. The taller the sidewall the farther the weights are from the actual out of weight issue.

Redeyejedi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »
i was removn wheels one time and i had loosened all but one lug, got distracted by a phonecall.... jacked up the front and went to pull the bolts off and one was still tight. i thought it was already loosened so i took the tirebar and giving a lil too much a see the stand teetr so ima like damnit! lowered it back and loosened that lug then back up n..... :hammer:

TheTransporter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
if your tires are big and knobby and/or vibrate and make a lot of noise, they are prone to loosening the lug nuts. I know this from personal experience and it also happened to a friend of mine.
you think nobody cares about you? try missing a couple of car payments.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »
if your tires are big and knobby and/or vibrate and make a lot of noise, they are prone to loosening the lug nuts. I know this from personal experience and it also happened to a friend of mine.
UR supposed to check the torque on your lug nuts at least every oil change...at least thats what ive been told by the truck gods
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

stoken82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jul '06
  • Under Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »
two years ago when my bother and i where heading out to the Bonneville salt flats for the races we saw this late 90s chevy that dog walked like no other. we never got close enough to him to see if the wheels were wobbling but his rear tires were like 1-2 feet off center. it looked like he was in the middle of a turn when going straight.  it must have been horrible to drive, not to mention how much tire wear this would induce.

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »
my buddy bent up his frame in a crash in the woods and on the way home he was crabwalkin, looked just like that
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »
my buddy bent up his frame in a crash in the woods and on the way home he was crabwalkin, looked just like that

Bet it got a few looks, If I had rear steer I would drive it like that just for the looks!! LOL

WILLYNILLY