Author Topic: Is there a tell all thread on the 4.3 swap?  (Read 2102 times)

y5mgisi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Is there a tell all thread on the 4.3 swap?
« on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
Tried and tried searching but couldnt find a real write up type thread. Ive got an89 with the 3.0 and im affraid its going to give up the gohst before too long. Im thinking it should be pretty simple to drop in a TBI 4.3, keep my 5 speed, use the 3.0 rad., use the computer out of the donor, use this harness http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16224&cat=254&page=1

At that popint id have motor mounts, rad hoses, heater hoses, and guages to deal with amound a few other things. Id like to know how to keep most/all of the factory guages. If they just goo strait off sensors and not thrrough the comp then i will just retrofit the 3.0 sensors onto the 4.3. Man i am making myself out to be an idiot. This will not be my first motor swap, just my most complicated. About 2 years ago i put a caddy 500 into suburban so im not straight noob, but could use help.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tell all thread on the 4.3 swap?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »
I dunno about a tell-all thread, probably is one somewhere on here. I would order a catalog from Downey OffRoad...i got one years ago and it was more like an instruction manual than just a catalog. Here's a link... http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Catalog/index.htm

I plan on swapping one of my 4.3 Chevy V6's into the 93 4Runner i just bought. It currently has a 3.slow/ auto, but if i'm gonna have 6 cylinders i'd rather have a 4.3 than a 3.0, and rather have a 5-speed than a crapomatic.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Blaze

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 01:47:26 AM »
Just use the instructions with the Howell harness. I would definitely use 96 or newer Vortec, preferably a "W" series vin around 200 hp stock

:bowdown: :bowdown: :hammerhead:

y5mgisi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007, 06:12:07 AM »
Are the howell instructions toyota specific? I really would like to keep all the factory guages/ cluster in the yota. Also does anyone know if there is room with the 4.3 to run its cooling fan? or would i need to swap over to electric? AND are all vortec/ '96 and newer motors CPI?

Blaze

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Swap
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:00:20 PM »
CMFI, you could use a stock fan. I had plenty of room but use an electric. Search Pirate for the 4.3 swap lot of useful info there.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:06:56 PM »
It's easy, just drop it in. A tell all.. You are killing me.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:41:54 PM »
The Howell harness in the picture only works on 97 and older 4.3's. 1998 and up 4.3 are harder to install due to computer and wiring. On these models (98+)you can have the stock gm harness reworked and the computer reprogrammed to have the PassLock(security) system programmed out.  BTB in Nevada does a good job of this. The adapter stuff can be bought from Advance Adapters and they can send you a manual that has good info in it. There are too many variables to just have a tell all conversion write up. Downey offroad is also a good source for parts and info. I put the stock gm fuel pump in my Toy tank with major modifications to the tank. You can make the stock toyota tach work. The oil pressure guage and water temp guage can also be used by buying adapters to screw in the Toy sending units. The radiator from advance adapters works well. The gm fan will fit, but when rock crawling it does not cool enough if you do not have a fan shroud. I ended up using a flex fan and making my own adapter for the fan. I also made my own fan shroud. My install is on an 82 by the way.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask. Sorry I was an a$$ on my first post.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2007, 08:56:22 AM »
I couldn't fit the stock clutch fan on my 90 runner. I didn't have a body lift, not sure if that made the differance. I couldn't move the motor much further back than I had it. I used a puller fan and the stock pusher fan with the V6 radiator. It would get hot sometimes but recovered quickly. It could have cooled better that's for sure.
I used the howell harness and liked it. The easiest way to use the factory guages is to adapt the sensors over and get yourself a yota wiring diagram to find anything else you'll need.
Depending on where you're at the newer OBD2 motors could be more of a PIA because of smog laws. You have to have more parts from the donor vehicle.
I also adapted the gm fuel pump into my stock tank, but it was very easy the way I did it.
I had a '93CPI vortec. The power was great but aftermarket parts availablility was very limited. If you think you're going to want differant intake, exhaust, cam etc the throttle body motors have way more aftermarket parts.

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »
Did a search on Pirate for 4.3 - 537 threads.  Enjoy!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1504884
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
A two inch body lift helps out alot.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007, 09:51:18 PM by 4X Flyin »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
trackvino here on the board swapped in a 4.3, and did a nice job off it too.  Just do a search for his name, and look through some of his posts, you'll find it :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent