Author Topic: Timing chain guide questions  (Read 3381 times)

artistic_gore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Timing chain guide questions
« on: Aug 31, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
I have a few questions about the timing chain guides for my 1983 22R. First, were the original guides steel backed? If so are these's available from the dealer? How much would they normally run? I understand I can get them elsewhere but I need my truck running like yesterday and don't feel like buying a whole new kit. The previous owner installed a timing kit at some point but one of the guides disintigrated. The rest appears to be in great shape. If they aren't available from a dealer and I have to run plastic guides, how long will they hold up? I'm already digging the remnants of one out of my oil pan but I am curious as to how long a new one would last.

Thanks,

Bryce
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Timing chain guide questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »
The plastic guides are $hit.........

So is the single row timing chain  (not sure what a 83 has, but an 83 is easy to convert to double)

The 2 stupid mistakes toyota made on the 22r engine was going to a single row timing chain and plastic guides...

Check LC engineering and DOA for steel-backed guides
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2007, 04:54:52 AM »
The problem that I have currently is that I already purchased the single row timing kit, and I need my truck running very soon as I am losing my home on the 14th. I think I will just run the single row for now. Buy the dual row kit when finances allow and swap it out when my single row assplodes again. That is unless the dealer tells me there was in fact a steel backed guide for the early 22R single row.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »
i thought that 83's had double row chains. i'm pretty sure that you can get just the steel guides from www.doaracingengines.com or www.engnbldr.com maybe. hope you get it running soon.
lets not and say we did.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2007, 08:42:22 AM »
robrub00 has a steel double row set hes trying to sell.. if yousend him a pm you guys might be able to work something out

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »
Gore,  go get a  plastic  guide  and get the truck together,  when you get moved  all you need is a  timing kit  for a 20R, it will bolt right on, its cheap  and is  all LCE and DOA  use  on the early engines
thats what i have on my truck
all you will need to find is a oil pump spline from a 20R   easy to find  and easy to get off at the junk yard

if you need anything  pm me
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
Thanks that's good to hear, I actually have the oil pump off of a 20R since I salvaged it from my dead engine, I grabbed a bunch of parts that I wasn't sure if I would need or not but thought they would be good to keep around. I may just have to hit up robrub for his set, I'll search the sale section and have a look at his ad. Right now everythings about 1/2 done. I'd be further but I had a heart attack when I couldn't remeber if I had taken a rag out of the coolant passage that I had shoved in there while hosing everything down with gasket remover and took it all back apart.

Thanks for the advice,

Bryce

-Douglas Adams