Author Topic: is wider better??wheels?  (Read 3641 times)

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
is wider better??wheels?
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 07:24:53 AM »
ok so i have heard it both ways wider wheels are better..some say skinny wheels hold the beed better.... i am getting 38 16.5.15 tsl sx's and i want to know what wheel will work best without getting a beed lock...  i still drive on the street and i don't have the money for beedlocks... thanks

james
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Re: is wider better??wheels?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2006, 11:48:26 AM »
I have found alloys hold a beat a lot better than steelies, personally I like wide. You end up riding the wheel more on the rocks but the alloys just sort of grind rather than bend like steel. I'd say it is preferance..

I suggest 10's - I dunno that anything wider is necessary but then again I have never ran a tire that wide..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I would agree that narrower wheels should hold a bead better at low pressure.  I would get a wheel that is on the narrow end of the manufacture specified width range.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »
I have my 35x14.5-15 boggers on a 15x8 wheel.  They are ballooned pretty bad at 25 psi.
I have not got to drive my truck yet so i dont have a lot of feedback, but I am pretty sure at low psi I will not have a problem, infact I think they are going to kick ass.  They will just wear fast on the street, with only 4" of the tread space touching  :gap:

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:17:44 AM »
Definatly depending on your aplication.
Mudding in deep wet mudd the more narrow tire would dig down to harder sufface, while the wide would tend to almost float, and simpley enough gum up and go nowhere.

However for offroad racing, a mid to wider tire is better for more stability.

The outlandish 12.5 up to 16 wide tires are best in sand and such loose lome that unlimited traction is atainable, or where you have to float on water.

In regards to wider or more narrow rims holding a bead better, the Alloys would hold "better". But not significantly. If you have a tire that is slyghtly wider than your rim, one would get the best bead grip without getting bead locks.

I'm sure you are aware that street use of bead locks is illeggal, I dont' really know why, but it is.

At anyrate, if you do any serious wheeling with low pressure I would definatly suggest forking over for beaders.

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:22:59 AM »
i think not being street legal has somthing todo with they can't be balanced.... but thats just a guess
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
i saw an add for something called "Staun Beadlocks" in petersons,   they can be used with any conventional rim and i beileve are street legal, i'm lookin at gettin em for my mickey Thompson classic lock 2's (which i absolutely love because the fake beadlock works as a sort of rock ring, protecting the lip of the rim) 

as to the width, idk, i'm running 16x8's with 305/75R16 BFG M/T's  which is nowhere near what your gonna be running, but the "ratio" has worked well on the trail and the street
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
i think not being street legal has somthing todo with they can't be balanced.... but thats just a guess

:D  I always thought it was because the D.O.T. wanted to try and bullet proof everything.  Not just letting anybody have bolt together wheels driving down the highway.  Probably the same reason why modular wheels arnen't street legal.  :dunno:  probably a little of both.

I'm debating between 15x8's and 15x10's, so I'm just signing up for this thread.. :gap:
I like to Drive!

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -125
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 10:59:36 AM »
james you've seen my set up 15x10 wheels with 35x14.5 boggers i have ran as low as 8lbs and havent lost a beed.
i have heard you cant drop down preesure with 16.5 wheels? you should check about that. airing down is a crucial thing around here
88-4runner 35 boggers,5.29s,locked in rear. finally got a sas!!!! pics at photobucket(crapyota)
checkout www.nw-wheelers.com

dane

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 04:11:29 PM »
I have never seen a law actually stating that beadlocks are not street legal.  I have a dot approved set on my 4runner right now.   I prefer a narrower wheel to hold the bead, when I ran my 15.5" wide 38 tsls on 8"rims and never had a problem.  Also, if your rim size is 16.5" you will have to have beadlocks if you plan on dropping the pressure at all.  16.5"'s dont have a safety bead and will roll of the rim like butter.

Dane
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 04:17:18 PM by dane »
HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW, DON'T YOU KNOW??

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »
Thats good to hear dane.  By technicallity, people are simply not allowed to run ANY rim, tire, or anything on a vehicle that is not DOT approved.

With that in mind, ther are very fewbeadlock rims available that are DOT approved. So, I wasn't very sure on the legallity of it, but I found a few guys that make ones that are legal. Rockathon Beadlock, RockLox, and Goudy Wheel are a couple.

I've had troubles in the past with beadlocks and my friends from out of state. that is why i even mention the legallity issues.
In the worste way, reality might set in, and the peace officer will just plain site you for being human and not really care about the DOT approval methods of your rims.
Sadly, that must be the case's that I'm refering to.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 10:30:52 PM »
Anybody tried the Eaton beadlocks? At 120 or 130 bucks a pop they seem to the cheapest around.
http://www.wheelingtire.com/catalog/Details.cfm?ProdID=118&category=7
As for legality, if the cop even knew what a beadlock is you could just say theyre sim beadlocks couldnt you?

And to steer back on the original topic, Ive read 15x8 is good for regular rims to help hold the bead, and 15x10 is good for beadlocks, presumably for a wider footprint. Anyone else heard this? (I probably read it on this board actually)
'82 on 35's, not much else.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 01:19:39 PM »
i've got a line on some 34x10.5 LTBs and wheels for a helluva deal.  only thing is, they're 15x8s, i'd prefer 15x7s.  anybody else think i'm worrying too much?

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »
yes?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 04:02:02 AM »
38/12.5 on 15 x 8's and have gotten rock rash with that. The 10" would cause the wheels to stick out of the tires even farther to get more damage.

I say the narrower wheel will keep the bead better and allow lower air pressure and a safety zone around the wheel. Also will cause the tire to balloon out more cause the side wall is not straight up and down with the wheel.

I don't have gobs of experience with the rocks so I am just theorizing.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
i'm not too terribly much of a rock guy, i just like doing trails and playing in the dirt mostly.  i'm probably overly worried, hell, i've never even aired down...

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 10:41:16 PM »
i'm not too terribly much of a rock guy, i just like doing trails and playing in the dirt mostly.  i'm probably overly worried, hell, i've never even aired down...

ya your for sure overly worried if you don't ever air down, 7's are to narrow i say 8's i just sold a set of 34x10.5x15 LTB'S and they worked great i only broke one bead, but it was becaues i was running 6 pounds. i don't think you can air LTBs anyone lower then 10. anyway they were good tires mounted on 15/8 wheels they just weren't big enough, i looking at 38's or possible 39.5 iroks!
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 07:09:40 AM »
i've got a line on some 34x10.5 LTBs and wheels for a helluva deal.  only thing is, they're 15x8s, i'd prefer 15x7s.  anybody else think i'm worrying too much?

10.50s should perform well and an 8 inch wheel should be fine.  I have 12.50s on 10 inch wheels which is about the same difference.

I have dropped my pressure to about 8 on rock with no problems and about 5 in the snow (one started to leak a bit by the end of the day, I suspect it was about 3 psi (cold) as it warmed up quite a bit on the way to the gas station and was only at 6 psi.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 10:48:16 AM »
you know what, i think that's the guy that sold me my tires, lol...

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
14.5 or wider tire, I'd reccomend 10" wide wheels.   If your worried about losing a bead, you might want to look at different tires.  Around here, Interco tires do not have a good reputation for bead retention.  Goodyear mtr's seem to hold the best.  Just sell a kidney and buy some Staun beadlocks.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »
ive ran my 33.12.50.15 all the way down to 8psi on 10 in wide wheels never had a problem. plus i think that wider wheels look alot better, i hate when you see a big lifted truck and then they have reall skinny tires underneath it just my :twocents:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

vanguard

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2006, 06:45:00 AM »
I run 255/85 (just over 33") and I mostly like them.

Pros:
1) The grip rocks great. They deform and key to the surface. This is probably their strongest point.
2) They hold their bead great.  Several people that watch me wheel have said they've never seen a tire hold its bead as well as mine.
3) You can fit a taller tire with few problems when it's not wide too.
4) Less rolling resistance/better mpg.

Cons:
1) It doesn't stick out past the body.  I'd have less body damage today if my tires stuck out and hit rocks before the body did.
2) Not as good in sand. (This isn't important to me but it could be to somebody else.)

302Toyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »
Well its just a Play truck i have but i have a 87 toyota 4 inch lift with 15x14 chevy truck ralleys on 33/13.50x15 tsl LTB swampers and they just sling mud everywhere there dont do good climbing or really in the mud just does a good rooster tail of mud and looks bad ass on the road cause my wheels are wider than all the truck around town

leorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »
I have tacoma 17 inch rims.  with stauns.  (7.5" wide)  After using them I would like to have a wider rim.  I feel it changes the lateral stability off-road.  It will also wear the center of my lugs on road unless I run 20 psi or less.  However it is a minimal difference (off-road) and I would probably do it over again.  $280 shipped for 4 taco 17s and $100 ea for stauns.  You can't get stauns for that price anymore btw. 
I am more concerned with other mods for my truck at this point.

For a 15 inch wide tire I agree ~10 inch wide wheel w/o beadlock.  w/ beadlocks I would get them per manufacturer's spec ideally.
Bring on EJS

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 12, 2007, 07:26:48 AM »
All of the 16.5 wheels I have looked at have a bead that tapers gradually out to the edge of the wheel. These wheels rely on air pressure more than standard car or pickup wheels to keep them on the bead. 16.5's are fine on the street but if you decide to air down you are much more likely to loose a bead imo.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 12, 2007, 08:20:59 AM »
16.5s are good for heavy duty tires aired up all the time

they are no good if you plan to air down, the bead will come right off, as they do not have a traditional bead liek otehr sized rims
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~