Author Topic: another newbie elocker question from robrub00, when will i learn lol  (Read 2190 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
just curious  i know people sometimes use bolts instead of studs on there diffsand i know different companies  sell bolt kits, but has anyone done this with the elocker instead of the long stud.  you would have to find a long bolt, but would that be an option or would the actuator get in the way.   sorry for the stupid question just more out of curriosity  is why im asking

KLF

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
I've installed a few e-lockers, I tried to use the factory studs the first time and it was a PITA. I always use bolts now. You want M8 bolts that are 100 mm long, my local Ace Hardware had them.
'87 Toyota Xcab SR5 - SAS'd with lots of other stuff

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
I used the factory studs with no problems.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I've installed 3 E-lockers, two standard and one reverse rotation.

I used the standard studs front and rear on my rig, but when I installed Bevin's rear E-Locker, because his truck is a BEAST, we decided to upgrade to 10mm studs.

We used 10x1.25 studs from our Dual Case Crawler Kit and for the long studs, we used the long factory T/case 10x1.25 bolts.

The bolts are working great. It was hard to locate long 10M studs, so we just opted to use the Toyota T/case bolts.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
when you say reverse rotation is that the hi pinion  with reverse cut gears??? or do the elockers come reverse and regular??

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
I've installed a few e-lockers, I tried to use the factory studs the first time and it was a PITA. I always use bolts now. You want M8 bolts that are 100 mm long, my local Ace Hardware had them.
do you put the bolt head on the inside or outside?  what grade did you get the bolts at ace?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:wall:
when you say reverse rotation is that the hi pinion  with reverse cut gears??? or do the elockers come reverse and regular??

reverse rotation = hi pinion
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KLF

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
do you put the bolt head on the inside or outside?  what grade did you get the bolts at ace?

I put them on the outside, after the diff is stabbed into the housing and the actuator mounted. I put them in after I put all the nuts on the studs and snug them, but before doing the final torque.

I just found it kinda tricky to get the diff slid over the long studs. Even though my holes were drilled and tapped with the housing jigged up in a mill, when the long studs were screwed in ahead of time they weren't perfectly perpendicular to the mounting surface, so they didn't precisely line up with the holes in the diff housing. Kinda hard to push them into alignment when you're humping a 70 lb chunk of metal at the same time. So, I took them out, stuck the diff in over the short studs, then put bolts in.
'87 Toyota Xcab SR5 - SAS'd with lots of other stuff