Author Topic: elocker in the front of my 4runner  (Read 2781 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
elocker in the front of my 4runner
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:31:10 PM »
it seems like every one  is looking for high pinion elockers for the front of their toyotas.  i have a 85 4runner i just got my 2nd elocker  they are both low pinion.  i paid 200 for 1 and 250 for the other ( the 250 needs a new ring and pinion but im regearing them anyway)  i am planning on running my 4x4labs hysteer arms and i think that they would run under a high pinion dif defeating the purpose of running tie rod in the back.  so what i want to know is is the only reason for gettting a high pinion elocker  for the purpose of  better pinion angles and driveshaft lengths.  i am installing dual transfercases too so I need to get the drive shafts done anyway.   can i get  little guidence.  i am almost ready to start my build.  i have collected all the parts i think i need.  Highsteer crossover conversion elockers  i have 33's, one set of 4.88 ( still looking for a used set of 4.88 for a elocker)  i have 4.7 23 spline gear set and dual t case adapter.  i have fror crossmember and front bumper.  i got u bolt flip kits ( still need some ubolts for the front.  chevy hanger kit from sky and banana shackles,   6 inch alcan springs procomp 3 inch lift chevy springs,  msd ignition system a rebuilt 22rte with a ct26( thinkingof rebuilding the turbo, 3 inch muffler and cat, 86  v6/ turbo rear axle,  interior marlin roll cage  , and 12voltgus wich controller and dul batt kit and a 8,000 pund mile marker winch!!!!and to top it of new tacoma shifter trim with cup holder( my most prized possesion cuz i never had a vehicle with cup holders.)  all i need now is another 4.88 gear set and i think some rocksliders and i should be good to go.  hope I like itlol.  the worst part is i havent installed nyof it yet and the engine isnt in yet! sorry for the long post i got on a roll.  ps anyone want to help work on my rig??lol im in hayward ca bayarea  i need a welder that can weld for me.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: elocker in the front of my 4runner
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »
so what i want to know is is the only reason for gettting a high pinion elocker  for the purpose of  better pinion angles and driveshaft lengths. 
dang u got some parts there dont ya?? well the obvious advantage is the added clearance under the housing itself... :doh:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
good pount but it would still work right.  i mean it doesnt hand down more than the axle it self.  i might consider getting it trussed.  appriciate the reply

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:12:46 PM »
Yes, the major reason for a high pinion is to get better driveshaft angles.  This is especially true if one uses a CV style as they don't have nearly the angular travel that a Ujoint'd driveshaft does.  As far as angles go I *think* you should be fine with a low pinion, Ujoints, and dual cases. 
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
More clearance, less chance of catching a rock, better drive line angle. The high pinion helps with those things, but with the amount of lift and tire size you are running combined with the dual cases, you really don't need a hp. The tire rod will not go under the hp when using the labs arms, but if you did run the hp I would call them to make sure that the tie rod is high enough to clear the housing. I had a similar setup with my FJ80 front end with the hp elocker and the tie rod went over the 3rd, but it was close.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2007, 11:06:18 PM »
cool thanks for the advice im gonna ask them that, but i dont know if a hp elocker is in my budget right now.  i would sure like one i would rather get that now than later and have to get it geared again.  they ae hard to find and tend to be harder to get for a good price ( im still dimbfounded i got my 2 elockers for 450 for both total.)  ill post up with what luke at 4x4 labs has to say

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
I ran a low pinion for a lot of years with no probs. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

snowplow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Aug '06
  • smoke tires not drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »
Good call with the rear mounted tie rod, I just kicked myself for not getting it. you can shim the front end as much as you want and not rotate your hi steer into your springs

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »
we have installed both the high and low offset
arms onto high pinion diffs with both electric
and cable type lockers. they'll fit no problem.

-luke@4x4labs

staight from luke at 4x4labs

what do you mean by shimming?  im new to high steer why would the behind the diff tie rod arms not hit nd regular hysteer would.  where would you shim?  inder the arms on the knuckle??

kajo4x4toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »
I've been running low pinion e-lockers in the front and rear of my 4Runner for about a year and ahalf now. No issues at all. Similar setup to what you are talking about with dual cases but 5.29's and 37's. Also my front axle is 3" forward of stock.
1985 exo-runner

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
I think he's talking about shimming the front end to rotate the pinion upwards. When you shim the front housing (between leafs and perches) to rotate the pinion up the arms in front rotate down causing interferance issues with the tie rod. Shimming is actually a very poor way of getting the pinion up anyway since it totally screws up your caster and causes some bad steering issues like death wobble amoung others, unless you cut and turn the knuckles at the same time.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »
oh caster shims i see i getting ready to rebuild my front end and i was reading about the shims for the nuckles and I thought he was talking bout that,  that makes seanse,  Im trying to avoid those  I hope my alcans are arched tonot need them.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
one more thing what year toyotas came with u joint front drive shafts and cv fronts , same with rears?

keyice797

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »
I am 45 minutes away, I can weld, do gear installs, and I have put an e locker front and rear on mine, I can't pm because I am new to this board, I also have 2 sets of 4.88 gear sitting in two thirds at my house with detroits in them, I can sell you one set as it looks as though I will probally part them out anyway. My number is 707 301 9056 I am up in vacaville, I can help with what you got, I work for pretty cheap. Give me a call if you got in question or need work done.  :beer:
Certified sheep Violator

keyice797

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
oh yeah, you can't rotate the front housing with an e locker it really makes it a pain to put in you have to take the spring pack off to do that. Mine is rotated 10 degrees made it a bear to get the locker in with rears up front and you have to grind the top acutator bolt to fit past the spring pack.
Certified sheep Violator