Author Topic: new engine in 82 PU  (Read 1963 times)

CaliZuki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 57
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
new engine in 82 PU
« on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
my 82 pu has a 4 speed tranny in it. i dont know alot about toyotas yet. im still learing. my stock 22r has about 312000 miles on it. it still run prety good but it needs a  valve job and some head work. i have been looking into the toyota diesels or a turbo /super charged engine. i foun a few but didnt get all the info on them. ill go look at them tomarrow or the next day to get the year/ car it came out of. if anyone could give me some info on a toyota diesel or a turbo/ supercharged engine. what trannys can i use?  what type of mods will i have to do to fit a new engine? any info will help thank you

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: new engine in 82 PU
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2006, 11:31:48 PM »
What toy diesel do you want?  Are you lookin for power or fuel economy?  A 2Lt will have ok power and very good mileage, but a 1kzte will have great power and only slightly better mileage than your gas engine.  The 1kzte will run an r series tranny while the L series can run a g or w series tranny.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2006, 09:58:59 AM »
the 2lt is the one i saw yesterday.   how much power are we talking here? is the 2lt like a 22r with tons of mpg? is the 1kzte like running a v6 in your yota? the one i went looking for was a toyota 4.0 turbo. but the guy had no info on it.  as far as the turbo/supercharged engines ill find out more info on them 2day.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:48:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 4.0 turbo diesel is a straight 6 from the landcruiser.  A 2lt is probably capable of a consistent 25-30+mpg in a 4by with more torque and less hp than a 22r.  You'll feel a definate loss in performance but will up your pulling power.  The 1kzte should yield around 15-20 mpg average with very good power all the way around, maybe closer to running a very healthy 22r/r3.  It also has an unusually high redline for a diesel.  The biggest benefit for me, aside from having something unique, is being able to run bio diesel.  If I'm every lucky enough to get one of these diesels I fully intend to brew my own, hopefully from either kfc or popeye's chicken so my exhaust smells like fried chicken :yesnod:

1kzte specs: KZ series (3.0)

1KZ-TE SOHC 2 95 2982 125@3600 219@2000 96 103 21.2:1
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006, 11:52:58 AM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2006, 04:54:23 PM »
i looked at an 06 5L today. it comes with tranny and Tcase for  $3500. it has no miles on it and never been put into a truck. but i started thinking today. i dont really want to spend that much $$ on one thing.  im just going to get a rebuild 22r and run that and use the rest of the cash for 3rd members and a lift for right now. the diesel would be very nice but i have alot of other things i would like ot do to my truck.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »
Where the hell did you find that gem?!  Jump on it like it's a $5 sleeper.  Did it have an automatic or manual?  What was it supposed to be in?  Oh,  so many questions...
RIP KYOTA

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »
i found it at all engine distributing in fresno CA.  i belive it had a 5 speed  tranny. funny story. he said that when the engine where on a delivary truck. the truck got is a wreck. and toyota wouldnt put any of the engine on the truck into there trucks. so they sold them all.i would love to put this bad boy in my truck. but it would put my build on a stand still. it might be worth it. i have alot to think about. everyone tells me it would be a bad ass set up. i need to find out what tranny and tcase are on it. what diesel did you put in your truck? got a write up on it? any pics? im very interested in this swap. im even thinking about spending my $$$$ on the disel and then just driving / wheel it. then next year ill do the gears . and the lft and all that fun stuff.

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006, 09:18:39 AM »
yea i cant do it. i want to get gears ,lift, tires and other mods.im just going to stick with a 22r.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2006, 11:00:05 AM »
Do you remember if it looked like one of these?  A regular 5L is mechanical injection, therefore a much simpler install into an older truck, while the 5LE is electronic and would be more difficult to install.

Note: these are both naturally aspirated, so there's definately more power potential hidden in there, and if you knew what you were doing (cough :mark:) you could build your own turbo setup for cheap.
RIP KYOTA

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »
i think its like the top pic. its just a stright up 5L. your right its all mechanical. that is the main reason i started to look at this one. pluse it had a trany and Tcase on it. so all 3 for $3500. what a deal.