Author Topic: need some advise  (Read 1629 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
need some advise
« on: Aug 11, 2006, 08:48:07 AM »
Right now got a 91 single cab which i just SAS'd but rust has taken it's toll on the body big time. The passenger core support is rotting away, few spots in the floor needs to be redone, and today i noticed the seam in the floor to the drivers side cab corner is split and the back corner of the cab moves some indepently of the floor when going over bumps  :sheerterror: It can all be fixed BUT would it be worth all the trouble? :dunno:

I'm thinking on swapping over cabs to an 87 x-cab that i can get for cheap......400 CAN for the whole truck with a blown HG rather then try and fix all the rust in my cab. I've never done a cab swap but i think i can handle it...it's just the small things like getting all the wireing from the 87 to work with my 91 engine, clutch lines and computer issues. Really un-sure on what to do since cash flow is an problem since i got laid off.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: need some advise
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »
Electrically speaking, there will be differences so you will want to put your wiring into the other cab.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
ya that's what i thought.

After getting all that sound deadening stuff off the floor it's not as bad as i thought and was able to patch the holes up. Also i fixed up the cab corner problem with some new steel and a couple well placed 3/16 rivets  :cheese: ......it's by no means permenant fix but everything is solid again  :gap:

I'll put the cab swap on hold until i get enough loot together for a 3rz or maybe 5m swap that way i'll only have to re-wire the thing once plus i'd like to find a good 3rd gen x-cab instead of the 2nd gen i thinking about.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

AlphaRedRooster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2006, 03:38:14 PM »
I would try and the get the cab you have fixed or atleast find a cab with the same wiring harness.  When I swapped cabs I swapped the motor with it to make it as easy as possible.  Is the truck in your avatar the truck with the rust issues?
:bowdown: !!!Big Thanks To RockDiver!!!  :bowdown:
Check out my junk in the Rig Gallery.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=24768.0

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »
ya i'd like to try and find another 3rd gen and swap the whole thing over cab, harness and probally tranny since i got a g58 in mine :thumbdown: It's the truck in my avatar i'm having the problems with but most of it is just minor and i have a lot of it fixed. I think the PO had leaky weather stripping and left a rusted rocker too long and a lot of salty water(east coast) got in under the carpet and rusted up the floor pan in some spots. It's all fixed up now so i should be good i come across a good cab to swap over.

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »
I just replaced all my cab to door weatherstripping and windshield. Check that windshield as well for leaks mine was leaking real bad the glass and urethane was 95.00 weatherstripping from door to cab from Toyota was 36.50 a side. Good luck Its tough to know when to stop dumping the cash on a toy.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R