Author Topic: hy steer questions..  (Read 790 times)

GrenadedToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
hy steer questions..
« on: Jul 17, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »
im ordering my hy steer kit for my 85 and im unsure about how to mount the ifs steering box. i know it needs to be pushed as far forward as possible, but things like the angle the box needs to be and how to do your own reinforcing plates insted of spending 60 bux on the kit, just stuff like that. if you have pics post them up..

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: hy steer questions..
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »
Here is what I did...I went to Home Depot and bought a couple 1 ft square plates of 1/4 inch.  Then I made a 1 ft square template out of cardboard.  I removed all the stock steering crap.  Then I placed my cardboard square along the frame so that I was looking at a diamond, one corner at the body mount/frame intersection, the other pointing down the frame towards the back of the truck.  I then traced the bottom line of the frame along the cardboard.  Then cut along that line and line the cardboard up on the frame again.  Now you need to decide on a position for the box...I put the bottom right side hole on the box lined up with the forward most stock hole (I think) screwed it in, then rotated the box as far forward as it would go until it hit the core support.  Depending on your suspension setup you may need to cut the support to move the box forward more, I do not know.  Then once I had the position of the box set I pulled it off the frame, lined up my paper template on the frame, and punched through the template where that stock hole I was reusing was at.  Then put a bolt in the corresponding hole of the box and trim the top of your template down until you can just get it to fit on the bolt in the box and sit flat against the monting area.  Then I traced the shape of the template onto a sheet of 1/4 inch and cut it out.  Then use the template to mark the hole you punched and drill.  Now attack the steel plate to the stock hole you are using and line it up and snug down the bolt...weld the bejesus out of it.  Repeat procedure for inside rail of frame.  Mount steering box to that one stock location, position it properly...use box as guide to drill other two holes..bolt box one...paint or not, you choice...

IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0