Author Topic: time for High-steer and Marfields?  (Read 2052 times)

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
time for High-steer and Marfields?
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:20:22 AM »
 :help:My '81 pick up is in need of a knuckle rebuild and new tie rod ends and a drag link rebuild.  I am in the process of making the truck a moderate wheeler as well as a DD.  I want to upgrade the truck as parts wear and break.  I'm torn between going to cross over steering or getting Marlins HD tie rod and drag link with fj80 ends.  Do I need to get rid of the J-arms if I have 31" tires, no front locker,  and do moderate trails?

As far as the knuckle rebuild goes, should I get the birfield eliminator kit, upgrade to stronger birfields, or just rebuild the knuckles with stock birfields? 

I haven't had any issues with breaking birfields or J-arms, just want to have a strong enough truck to play in the mountains and don't want to waste money with bad parts decisions...

I've searched past posts but haven't found what I was looking for.  Thanks for the advice, my truck wouldn't be running if it wasn't for this forum! :bowdown: :beerchug:

I've searched past posts but haven't found what I was looking for.
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
Re: time for High-steer and Marfields?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:41:13 AM »
If you're doing moderate trails on 31's just get beefier stock steering. Unless you WANT crossover. You'll need at least 3" of lift before the crossover will fit/work right, so you've got to consider that.

Again, only doing moderate trails, I'd just rebuild the knuckles and MAYBE go with stronger birfields. I a ring welded on mine, similar to some of the other designs out there.

If you aren't doing things that require lockers you might as well stay with the stock/slightly stronger stuff and replace as you break stuff (hopefully trying harder stuff) or find the need to upgrade.

Just my  $0.02
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:49 AM »
Get high steer... the stock push pull is will break with moderate street use. HIgh steer first... everything else later...
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »
Get high steer... the stock push pull is will break with moderate street use. High steer first... everything else later...

problem is you need 3in lift before it works.  3in lift with 31's???  well, it would look like your truck is on cheerios!  I would say stick  with the stock steering for now.  I don't think that you will have a problem with any of the moderate trails.  Here in co, I can do all of the moderate trails in my stock 85 with at 8psi.  But I can't even come close to even THINK about trying any hardcore stuff.  If you are gunna stay small for moderate stuff, keep the stock steering, but if you are gunna go hard core, than get high steer...

my .02

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

85 4runr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:53:17 PM »
with the high steer everyone says you need 3 inches of lift is that or can that be a combination of say 2inch springs 1inch shackles or 1 inch shackles 1inch springs and 1 inch drop hanger? Or just 3 inches of spring lift

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 12:50:39 PM »
3" of spring lift, or a 2" drop hanger and 1" lift etc.  if you're handy with a hammer, sawzall, and a welder i've seen it done with about 1" of lift, but that includes clearancing the oil pan, running a flat pitman and notching the frame.

this is what my truck looks like with 3" downey springs(the back end is on jacks and about level so just pretend there's springs on the back :)), marlin's billet hysteer and 31" tires.  the biggest clearance issue is the pitman arm, but i think it'll be OK.  still have to go flex it out and see if it gets close to hitting the driver's side leaf, if so i'll install bumpstops.  probably gonna end up running 34" LTBs on this rig, but it doesn't look that terrible with the 31s.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »
that bed is  :aaa: big!

92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 05:22:50 PM »
that bed is  :aaa: big!

HAHAHAHA yeah!

Time to WestCoasterize it Kyle!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Jeffe 81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 06:44:55 PM »
thanks for the feed back everybody!  Hey Kyle 22r, did those Downey springs fit in the stock location?  What do you think of them?  I am thinking of getting the 3 inch Downey springs.  I know they aren't as nice as Marlin's, but a lot cheaper and I don't need a 4 inch lift right now.

Oh yea, don't be jealous of the long bed 1st gens!    :gap:  That seven foot bed with external tie downs is sweeeet!

I think I'll just keep the stock steering and birfields for now.  Its hard not to get nutty with upgrading these trucks.
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 07:30:59 PM »
Here's mine with 4" Pro-comp springs (no they haven't settled yet only have about 150 miles on them) and 34" LTBs....that's 4 inches.
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »
Get high steer... the stock push pull is will break with moderate street use. HIgh steer first... everything else later...
hysteer  on his truck is a waste of money, and i have ran class 4 trails  with my truck  and only  slightly bent my stock tierod

of course  i can pick a line and dont just slam against rocks
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way