Author Topic: hey guys  (Read 1096 times)

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
hey guys
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »
OK so me and my dad were talking the other day about putting a lift and bigger tires on his truck which it is a 90 ext cab pickup with a 3.0 in it and i was wondering if any one knew what would the overall best lift and tries to go with it ???? :dunno: :help: :beer:
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: hey guys
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:04:23 AM »
That's almost as open ended as asking what would be the best food to eat!  Let us know how high he wants to go, what size tires he wants to run and what conditions the truck will see, and we can give you a more definative answer.  You're going to get completely different answers from people right now, because nobody knows what the intentions are.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:30 AM »
That's almost as open ended as asking what would be the best food to eat!  Let us know how high he wants to go, what size tires he wants to run and what conditions the truck will see, and we can give you a more definative answer.  You're going to get completely different answers from people right now, because nobody knows what the intentions are.
:werd:   what he said.  We want to help but need to know more info.  Is it a DD, or purely off road rig.  Give us some specifics and requirements.  :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

yodaboy4life [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:54:28 AM »
hum so i figured i did not give enough infomation sorry guys well i know he does not want to have to regear but have plenty of power and he is not going to be doing any thing real big only like snow mud not rocks and stuff like that and he will take it hunting but what size of tries would be a good size with enough all around power to do what he wants with it he is not a big fan of having it way up there i dint think he wants to go any bigger then 33s but he still wants it to perform and look good also he does not want to be too top heavy i hope that help a Lil if it dint then nevermind what i asked?
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 06:23:10 PM »
he's probably close to running 33"s right now.  If he isn't shy about using a sawzall, just trim off the fenders a bit.   Otherwise, he has a few options

1. IFS suspension lift. 
      Pro- you get what you pay for, and the good ones are $$.  You get a cheap one, it'll lift the truck, but you're halfshafts angles will be crap, which will cause them to break.  An expensive one raises the truck, but keeps the front diff near stock, so the angles aren't near as bad.  Like I said, these are $$

2. Crank the torsion bars, and toss an add-a-leaf in the rear.  :dunno: cheaper, but you're going to sacrifice ride quality.

3. SAS, then he can go with whatever he wants.

4. If it is a 5 speed, he can always do a body lift.  This is cheap, easy, and if he only wants a coupla extra inches of tire, this is probably what I'd do.  A 1-2" body lift should take allow 33"s no problem. 

I'd say if it's just going to be a mildly built rig for hunting and fishing, I'd do a body lift, or an IFS lift.  However, with the IFS lift, you're looking at $400-$1000, big range there.  Body lift, about $100 or so.  Some people don't like body lifts, but I'd say if you're just looking at 33"s, it'll be fine.

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31:23 PM »
I think option # 2 would be the best. Get some HD torsion bars and add-a-leafs from downey. also some low profile poly bumpstops. crank the torsions and add longer shackles if needed. Some 2 " springs for the rear prolly wouldnt hurt either. I would probably run 32's max without regearing.  No trimming or B.L. necessary. Cheap too.  :cheese: This is what I did on my 93. It's my DD and ride quality is not that bad. :driving:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco