Author Topic: 20r head swap  (Read 3517 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
20r head swap
« on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:12:33 PM »
Alright y’all, I got some questions.
I was reading another post and it brought to mind some things.
I’ve got an 88 EFI engine, 94mm, forged pistons, about 11:1 comp, SDS fuel and ignition, a worked LCE head.
What’s the poop with the 20r head swap? I know it’s a hemi and is supposed to flow better than a 22re head. But I gather the increase is at the top of the power band.
With low gearing can that still be useful for rock crawling?
Where does the power band move?
Can you keep EFI?
Does the hardware swap over? (rocker assy, cam, etc.)
My inclination would be to go with a supercharger, but I’m always interested.
C’mon, give me the skinny!

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 20r head swap
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
on 94mm block a 20R head is going to have very little surface to seal  the head, if you do,  use a toyota headgasket  or the LCEngineering headgasket,  anything else will blow water into the cylinder

the real power gains are 3000-5500 rpm
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
you'll need somebody like Willymammoth to make the efi work on the 20R head :aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
11:1  + supercharged = :yikes:  hope your gonna run propane  :sheerterror:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
always use the 22R rockers,  cams are the same more or less

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
11:1  + supercharged = :yikes:  hope your gonna run propane  :sheerterror:

Well, it's a while down the road yet for that...but I can still plan can't I?
If you look at some of the current generation of Super'd cars most of them are running 10.5 or 11 compression ratio. From what I've been told a low boost (5-6psi) and high comp will result in way big torque.I might run propane, one of these days!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:41:31 PM »
you'll need somebody like Willymammoth to make the efi work on the 20R head :aaa:

I take it that the intake manifolds don't match up? Well, I've got nothing against modifying one or making a new one!
What about the exhaust side?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »
exhaust side is a direct bolt on  :thumbs:

my motor  had like 10:1  and when running the 87  and pulling a load,  it detonated to much and killed my piston :down:   thats what bigmike said anyway,  and it had something very bad  happeneing in there

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2006, 07:12:26 PM »
exhaust side is a direct bolt on  :thumbs:

my motor  had like 10:1  and when running the 87  and pulling a load,  it detonated to much and killed my piston :down:   thats what bigmike said anyway,  and it had something very bad  happeneing in there

Yeah, I saw that piston...not good!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:33:01 PM »
My 81 stock block and 76 celica head detonates under light loads!  There's no reason to use the 22r intake manifold either, the 20r manifold breathes a little better if I remember right.  You can get an adapter from LC engineering to run your 22r carb on the 20r intake too, if that's the way you wanna go.  Power is definately better on top too, it'll pull atleast another 1000 rpm if not more over the 22r, depending on your setup.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:35:39 PM »
As far as running efi on the 20r head, dig up my old thread about exactly that and there's a great link near the bottom for doing so.  I've wanted to do that for quite a while, and think the combined benefits would be great.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »
the head doesn't necessarily flow better, but the pattern is much better.  it's like comparing the head on the 258 AMC six with the 4.0HO six.  the 4.0 has a straight shot to the cylinder, while the 258 head goes around a 90* bend.

the 20R ports are a bit smaller than the 22R, but the 22R has a swirl ledge for less emissions(helps the mixture burn more evenly).  however, a 20R head will boost your midrange torque and let you rev much higher.  i missed the off-the-line grunt of my old 22R at first but learned to love the powerband.  the intake manifold is a better design, has 4 nice long runners rather than 2 big ones that split halfway to the ports like the 22R.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 11:43:49 PM »
Strangely the only real difference I felt going from the 22r to hybrid was the top end.  Never felt a noticable diff on bottom, but it did pull slightly better in mid I guess, and top is a whole nother ball game!
RIP KYOTA