Author Topic: Rental Resources  (Read 4094 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Rental Resources
« on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »
There are lots of us out there that either can't afford tow equipment, or have no place to store it.  I figured maybe we could pool any info we have as to companies that rent out equipment to safely get our rigs to the trail for a decent price.
What are the options out there?
Flatbed?  Trailer?  Can a rig be tied down inside a moving van?
Are there websites where prices can be checked?

Maybe if we can get a good collection of info here we can make it a sticky?

:)  :turtle3:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Rental Resources
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
U haul can get VERY expensive.

i looked to see about  a van  and trailer to get  sisters Jimmy home the other day,  80 miles  was $275
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:22:15 AM »
Yeah, so I was wondering about experience with other companies as well:
Budget?
Ryder?
Enterprise?

What else is out there?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:28:53 AM »
Ryder  only rents/leases  to Businesses    but is  by far the cheapest,  since their insurance  is much less
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:31:37 AM »
It would be easier to offer beer to somebody you know who owns a trailer. Rentals get spendy. Sometimes you can rent trailers for the weekend though. As long as they don't know where you are going it may not be too bad.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
It would be easier to offer beer to somebody you know who owns a trailer. Rentals get spendy. Sometimes you can rent trailers for the weekend though. As long as they don't know where you are going it may not be too bad.
Yes, find your own trailer. They can be very expensive to rent so thats probably not the best option. (ask FFC) Your best bet is to rent a fool size truck and pull your own trailer. :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »
yeah rentals aren't cheap by no means,last time I priced one it was gonna cost me 125 bucks for a 60 mile round trip.Unless you don't have a place to store one,your best bet is to just buy one.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
yeah rentals aren't cheap by no means,last time I priced one it was gonna cost me 125 bucks for a 60 mile round trip.Unless you don't have a place to store one,your best bet is to just buy one.

That would be one of the issues...some of us live in apartments and do not have parking for a trailer.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »
From my experience it is never too hard to find storage for a good trailer as long as you know people that have similar interests.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:50:24 PM »
DON'T RENT FROM UHAUL!!  :thumbdown: I've had nothing but HORRIBLE experiences from U Haul and I know I'm not the only one. Search the web for 5 seconds and you'll come up with a million complaints. There are several websites devoted to anti U Haul talk. I realize that it could be better or worse depending on what store you go to (franchise) but from my understanding 90% of them suck. I would go into a long ass rant on why I hate them so, but I don't think people want to read a page worth of U Haul F Ups... Just do yourself a favor and read so opinions on U Haul before you waste your money!  :nonono: Come on people, speak up, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way...

http://www.rentaldomains.com/uhell/
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:55:53 PM »
i recently researched trailers... through uhual, getting a in town move, is actually cheaper than gettign a one way move.....

uhual was actually cheaper than the other local firms, where i live.

as far as the company that only rents to a business, got any friends that own their own business? i do....

the tow rig i used for my truck, belongs to a friend of mine, its his work truck, he owns his own roofing company....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
Yeah...all this type of thing would qualify as in town...i.e. return to the same location you picked it up from.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 06:25:38 PM »
i recently researched trailers... through uhual, getting a in town move, is actually cheaper than gettign a one way move.....

uhual was actually cheaper than the other local firms, where i live.

as far as the company that only rents to a business, got any friends that own their own business? i do....

the tow rig i used for my truck, belongs to a friend of mine, its his work truck, he owns his own roofing company....

but don't forget to mention the issues of what uhaul will or won't let you tow with their equipment, and what you have to tow with :thumbs: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
What they don't know won't hurt em   :eyebrow:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:47:33 AM »
What they don't know won't hurt em   :eyebrow:

until you get in an accident :dunno:  I think pretty much the same way, but say you only have access to a 3/4 ton pickup, and you want to tow a car hauler.  different places say different things, but the uhaul here in town won't let their car hauler be towed by anything less that a 1ton.  Not to say it doesn't happen, but it kinda sucks if you only have a limited tow rig access

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:54:07 PM »
That does bring teh suck...only a 1 ton?
I was having my little heart set on a 3/4 ton conversion van...like a LBC-lite typa deal.  They didn't really make too many 1 ton vans other than cargo/werk vans and teh 89 passenger vans long like school bus.

Sheeoot...who else will rent a trailer, figure it is gonna cost, so what other companies offer trailer rentals?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
That does bring teh suck...only a 1 ton?
I was having my little heart set on a 3/4 ton conversion van...like a LBC-lite typa deal.  They didn't really make too many 1 ton vans other than cargo/werk vans and teh 89 passenger vans long like school bus.

Sheeoot...who else will rent a trailer, figure it is gonna cost, so what other companies offer trailer rentals?

like I said, thats ours in town :dunno:  Mabye if you told them you were gonna tow a miata they might let you have it :thumbs:  united rentals in CA rents flatbeds, dunno if you have them out there.

What about making a tow dolly yourself? :dunno: doesn't seem like it would be too hard, and you could make the tongue removable, so you can store it by leaving the runner on it in the garage :dunno:  I know I couldn't make one right now (don't trust my skills)

-Ronald Reagan

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:17:06 PM »
Try the industrial style rental places- RSC, United, RUST, etc...

Sometimes you can get an "equipment" trailer for a reasonable fee, but they usually won't let you cross state lines.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo