Author Topic: Wont idle  (Read 5145 times)

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
Wont idle
« on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:24:15 PM »
my 85 efi truck wont idle....  it started the other day when i got into the truck started it up and it just died tried again and again and it wouldnt idle,left for school and when i accelerated out of a stop sign it died and wouldn't start. Finally got it started and continued to go to school, happend 3 more times by the time i got there, only 2-3 miles away. it was completely sudden and i cant figure what could have brought it on. now If i let of the gas while im driving it (or while its running for that matter) will just die. be it shifting gears or coasting to a stop. As long as its in gear with the clutch out it will do fine though.sometimes if i down shift to slow down and get it to a lower rpm before i push in the clutch it wont kill it..but its struggling to aty alive..Someone please help as this is my DD and its really getting old needing to start it every time i stop..
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
Re:Wont idle
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:32:49 PM »
I gues it could be fuel??? It has a new pump so where is the filter located on a 22re?
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:33:40 PM »
sould be under the intake
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:35:19 PM »
like I said before, check the tps, if its adjusted wrong it will make it die.  

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:36:02 PM »
my bad...wasn't thinking

just did the filter under intake but are there any other filters or could it be the pump?
rest in peace Effay

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:36:37 PM »
how would i go about doing that?
rest in peace Effay

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:38:56 PM »
well , that takes a toy machinc!! or at lest someone with a book that says what it shold be at idle. you check voits at idle and adjust to what the "book" says it shold be

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:45:40 PM »
also forgot to mention that since this has began my check engine light will come on every once in a while for about 30 sec then go away...i have good oil pressure and the temp is fine.
rest in peace Effay

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:02:17 PM »
Dude, you realy need to get a "book" on the toys. check for codes , if the light comes on theres a code to be found in the puter. the ones I think you will likly find are, 2=open or shorted afm.  7= open or shorted tps.  11= thortle switch open or shorted. you need to find the dig conncter under the hood and jump the right wires to make the puter give up the codes.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2003, 09:14:45 AM »
dude,  get to a parts store and but a book for your truck, about $10-$15   it will have the procedure  for getting the codes,  its easy to do :beerchug:
under your hood near the coil; you should find a electrical plug with a rubber cap   mind terminals T and E1,  use a peice of wire and jump between them  :crossed: turn the key on and count the engine light blinks to get your codes  for a code 7 you will get  7 blinks then a 5 second pause then another 7 blinks, if you have more than one code, and you will there will be a 5 second pause between them,  for codes over 10 you will get  blinks ,a short pause and more blinks,  then your 5 second pause befor the next code :_order:
i'll bet you need a throttle position sensor,  code 7
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2003, 09:07:33 PM »
It was the ECU.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193711 read the rest of this post and see if you can figure out the rest of my probs :beerchug:

i had 2,3,5,6,7,8,10, and 11 for codes and they all went away except for 11 wich i figure is because i have the clutch safty canceled.... it blinked 11 times in a row though...no pause..
rest in peace Effay

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:46:38 AM »
 :beerchug:glad you got the truck fixed, now for your 4runner problem,  you said it started having problems after you replaced the head,  go back and pull your cam gear i'll bet ya a  :beer: it got off one tooth when you installed your new head,  its easy to get the chain off when changing heads,  it never fails  the chain will get slack at the crank gear and then when you install it on the cam right on the money, its actually off a tooth or two cause it moved on the bottom

also,  when you installed your head gasket did you make sure all the holes matched your head and block,  9 times out of 10 they wont, you'll have to use a hole punch to make them match so you get full coolant flow thru the head :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »
Find yourself a Haynes manual or the John Muir Toyota Bible its amazing how much you can learn from them.
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........