Author Topic: shackle bolt questions?  (Read 1656 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
shackle bolt questions?
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:41:32 PM »
im in the process of installing my new ubolt flip kit and i noticed that the front shackles have quite a bit of play in the side to side motion and was wondering how much of this is normal and if they need to be tightened?  i dont have a torque wrench so... giving me ft-lbs wont realy help.. just a general.. tight ...moderate... crank them down or whatever would be appreciated. 
Thanks,
Andy
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: shackle bolt questions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
Just get them snug. They don't need to be tight. Use locktite or a lock nut and be done.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2007, 04:20:45 PM »
check your shackle bushings
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »
the bushings are deffinetly in need of replacement... but im not ready to replace them...

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
the bushings are deffinetly in need of replacement... but im not ready to replace them...
  dude, they're 2 bucks each! what's holding u back?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
i guess ill have to order some when i call up marlin on monday and get my correct ubolt kit..... ..stupid front axle i have doesnt have the standard gussets and wont work with the normal kit..