Author Topic: Newbie With an IFS Truck Questions  (Read 3639 times)

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Newbie With an IFS Truck Questions
« on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:10:45 PM »
I'm coming close to the time to buy a truck, and my freind's family just picked up a couple Toys (84, and I think an 88).  If I had my choice i'd buy an 85, but the only 85 I know I could get a good deal on is owned by my dad's freind, and he won't sell unless it blows up, and with only 200,000 miles on the clock, if it stays true to Toyota reliablility, that's a long time off, He's had the thing new since 85 and isn't super intrested in getting rid of it. I got a chance to ride in my friends 88, that has had some head work done and a comp cam, I have to say I was impressed, rode as good or better than our 04 F150, had plent of get up and go. I wouldn't have a ton of time to wheel, and this 88 seemed like a perfect match for my situation (needing a daily driver that could haul a dirt bike or two, and wheel semi decently). How do these work as a light wheelin rig, on 33-35 inch tires? Are there any major issues with the 86-95's? Would it be worth lifting the IFS? I've only wheeled once or twice in my dad's flat fender, and I don't know how much I would wheel on a daily driver, if I got to wheeling all the time, I could always SAS it. Does a set of bigger tires completely kill the street drivability? I see some people say that an IFS lift simply isn't worth the time and money (the guy that said that, also has a set of 35" swampers on a STOCK IFS truck that is getting an SAS this year)
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: Newbie With an IFS Truck Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:32:17 PM »
The live axle trucks were designed to be 4 wheeled 80% of the time.
IFS trucks were designed for a 20% duty time.

The IFS truck will ride better however, due to a lighter front end and the resulting wheel travel, by design the drive axles are subjected to greater angles resulting in more breakage in severe situations.

To run bigger tires off road, you need a lift. Check my used parts page for IFS lifts.

If the 88 has a 22R, you will notice a loss if power with bigger skins.

Hope the 88 is EFI, it would have better power and a stronger transmission.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

TrikeKid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
I was asking about IFS trucks in general, the 88 is not for sale, he just built the engine that's in it, and sadly enough, the 84 is getting used too. The 88 is an RE though. I don't plan on any extreme wheeling in a daily driver, it's not like I plan on making a road trip to the con in an IFS truck. I would definately regear and everything else to accomidate the bigger meats. I might go with a solid axle truck yet though, seems they're the only resonably priced ones around here, the lowest price I've seen so far on an IFS truck is 2500, and that was reduced from the original price.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 09:57:10 PM by TrikeKid »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:18:50 AM »
You can apply his answer to any IFS truck you intend on buying, Sadly the only straight axle EFI truck for the U.S. was made only 1 year and is the best choice to grab. Anything before 85 was carbed only. Once you hit the IFS' it is pretty much the same across the board except engine choices, EFI 4cyl., EFI 6cyl., turbo charged 4cyl., Diesel 4cyl., and I think there is a 4cyl. carbed truck too.  Now if you want a certain engine you may again be limited by the years they were made. It all depends on what you want, when it comes to the IFS, if you take it out and beat it up it won't last, you will break stuff especially if you lift it and put larger sizes of tires on it. Unlike a straight axle to where as long as it is open you generally will not break anything even running up to 35's, if you lock the front you'll need to take care not to crank the wheel till it hits the stops and then try to move the truck that is when you'll bust your birfs. I have found as long as you are already moving before you make that turn the load is smooth and evenly distributed on the birf. I have used both IFS and straight axle trucks to the same levels and have only broken one axleshaft in the almost 20 yrs. I've wheeled, yes it was an IFS Toyota halfshaft and I was goofing around trying to climb a rutted hill I had no business trying.  Now I'm not saying I'm real easy on my trucks either, I will and have pushed them way beyond their limits and for the most part brought them back alive. I think I've only needed to be towed home twice and that was my Willys. I wheeled the crap out of my IFS truck and if you set it up properly it can be done, but nothing beats a nice fat straight axle.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:27:51 AM »
Hell, I'm living proof that you can wheel an IFS with bigger tires (and lifted, like Marlin said) without significant damage (body damage doesn't count!).   :_order:  Well other than what you would normally expect at 280,000 miles. hehehe  :disturbed:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

darin-x

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 403
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Jan '06
  • otsego amigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
IFS is not as bad as it is made out to be. i am lifted with 35,s, aussie locker, 5.29,s. This is a great set up for moderate to difficult wheelin. my buddy runs basicly the same set up with no lift. If this is the truck you have, or the best one to buy, go for it. dont sit around waiting for the perfect straight axel to buy, or wait to get the money and parts for sas.  GO WHEELIN. now you will get frustrated when you want to move to the next level of wheelin, i.e. tuffer obstacles.  The articulation or lack there of is easy to get used to ( hell, it adds a whole new pucker factor to wheelin)  but when you really start to hammer and push the rig harder than it should be, parts will break. That is where I am right now, I want the straight axel, but my ifs will be wheeled untill that day.  You sound like you are not going to be wheelin that hard soon.  I wheeled a long time before I started breaking. Plus, starting with IFS gets you a wider rear end to start with. As far as street drivability, 5.29s with 35s gets me around just fine. My buddy has 35s with no lift,  now some creative fender and firewall clearance will have to be done,  as well as jacking up the torsion bars a bit.

recommended parts to make IFS wheel
gears,
 locker ( I love my aussie )
IFS idler arm truss
lift if possible

f or be f"d

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:00:52 AM »
 :yesnod: I ran my IFS with only lockers f/r an a 2" body lift and 33's for the longest time, I'm sure you could go with 35's and a 3" body lift but I'd be worried  about stuffing the rear and rubbinig with 35's. The front wound be fine since there is no travel in the first place.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TrikeKid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »
Well if I did anything lift wise it would be suspension, if you're going to lift a truck, a body lift is the wrong way to do it in my opinion. You're right, I wouldn't be doing any kind of extreme wheeling, just mild trail rides with my dad's 31" swamper shod flat fender. I'm not a fan of wheeling a daily driver hard enough to start worrying about breaking and not being able to get home, or damaging the body so much that doors won't open right etc..., if I was going to do that I'd be trailering there and back.

Anglewood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Just a NorCal Boy down in SoCal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:42:01 PM »
What you are describing is just about exactly what I already have.  A few years back, I needed a vehicle for when I moved to LA for grad school, and what you describe is exactly what I had in mind.  I ended up with an '88, and promptly put some 31" BFG ATs on it.  Works great as a daily driver around LA, but I can still have fun with it doing mild wheelin' by the river back home.  It is dead reliable (202,000 miles), relatively easy on gas, and I can haul just about anything I need to.  My only complaint is that it is a bit underpowered which was to be expected.  When I get another daily driver (read: car) I will be upping the antie, and then jumping into the gearing/lift, etc needed for bigger meats.  I wouldn't hesitate to make the same choice again, and from research have found that it almost costs as much to make a solid axle truck perform as it does to perform a SAS and build an IFS rig.  Good luck in your search.

Lates,

Connor
'88 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with 209+ on the 22R-E, and 15x8 AR-23s shod with 31x10.50 BFGs and spinning a Marlin Clutch.  Just added... On Board Air!

fister45

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »
I just lifted my 95 4Runner with a 4in Pro Comp with 33's and I have been studying the crap out of what to do either a SAS or just the IFS lift, I got the IFS lift and with the V6 and I did notice a loss in ummmp but I already wheeled it in somewhat difficult terra firma with only minor body damage  :rofl2: oh and lost my rear bumper but it was sure fun doin it'

AND HOW!!!!
Wifey rolled my 4Runner so now I get to build it the way I want.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »
I'm surprised I haven't seen this before. 

If an IFS is available, don't wait around for a SA.  If you liked the IFS, grab it.  If you wheel with it, and get good at it, when you go to a SA (whether through a SAS or buy a different truck) you will be a better wheeler.  Some people decide that they have a good enough truck the way it is :yupyup:  I've taken my IFS truck through the rubicon, and on a lot of other trails, ranging from easy to difficult.  Granted, I'm not gonna be running sluice with it, but it gets me where I want to go so far.  I've only broken 1 axle, and 1 set of spiders, both at different times, both times doing something I know better than to do, and It was compltely my fault that it broke. 

If you do choose to lift IFS, make sure you go with a kit that keeps the halfshafts at near stock angles, that'll help prevent breakage.  Aslo, get a good skidplate for the front diff/IFS frame.  I've used my skidplate to slide over stuff plenty of times, and it'll help with the damage control.

My truck has 35" tires, 4" pro comp stage 2 lift, 5.29s, and is lcoked front and rear.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

TrikeKid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »
I got a line and first dibs on an 84 for 2000. Guy want's to sort out a vaccume issue before he sells it to us, but that's getting fixed this weekend. I'm not going to touch an IFS rig.

TopStreet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Jan '06
  • The EVIL Turtle is my Arch Enemy!
    • View Profile
    • JHRacing
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
Here come my 2 cents. I am not trying to argue with anyone, so if any one dissagrees fine... But dont take it personally.

'86 IFS 4Runner, 37" MTRs @15psi, 18psi on custom turbo setup, spool rear, lockright front.

I have very few times during my trips where I am not at full throttle, shifting gears in mud holes (crap like that). I have collapsed my rear axle tube, bent my leaf springs in half, Ripped teeth off the ring gear, had to go into the woods to find one of my pistons, and I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting. Either way, that was just last summer.

Through all of that I have broken only 1 Front CV. I had the diff dropped 1" and had the controll arms at such an angle that the front matched the rear with height. (Marlin 6", long spring rear) This was allowing 17 3/4" center clearance up front.

I was running 5.29 R&P. I have since moved back to a 4.10 and have not broken once.

I am not saying its better or worse. Just giving some input.
'86 4Runner 2.5tons, Tractor Tires

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50846.new#new  MY 4RUNNER BUILD PAGE!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35445.0  MY OLD SAS '90 PICKUP

828 whp '92 Eagle Talon / 9.53 @ 150 mph