Author Topic: Newbie CB questions  (Read 5319 times)

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Newbie CB questions
« on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a CB.  A friend too.  I have read a few installs, but other than size and radio features I don't what's next.  I would like mine to be a DIN size or ashtray size for my Taco.   Ashtray size I see:  Cobra19DXIII and Uniden520XL

Where can I learn about everything needed?

Radio
Mic - do I need an external?
Antenna size and type
SWR tuning

I'm lost.  Can anyone set me in the right direction to learn a little before I make a preliminary plan?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie CB questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
I signed up for a CB forum.

I thought there was a baby forum here for CBs where asked once.  I must be blind.

Edit: I see it now.  Soon as I post duh :hammerhead:

Move my thread if needed.  Thanks Marlin.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
Both companies make a good cb. I have had a larger Uniden with dual side band and a bit more power than those for 10 years, Ilike it. Key to the deal is a good antenna & a proper length cable. I have a wilson 5/8 wave which is a pretty big antenna but it does get out well. I made a bracket on the rain channel to hold the tip while I am wheeling, getting smacked by an antenna is no fun. You can buy a swr meter at radio shack or off the internet. Do not run the cb until you get your antenna tuned right. I also ran the power wire (sheilded) directly to the battery to limit background interference as Toyotas are bad for picking up engine whine on the radio. Do a little reading on how it all works .
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
The other thing to consider is where you mount your antenna, that will also affect your signal strength & range especially if the body is blocking a portion of it. You don't want to look like one broke richard when you spend all the money & it doesn't work.  :gap:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Antenna mounting will be interesting.  The low hanging trees on the trails here are going to hit it.  I got some reading to do first.  Especially on SWR tuning.  I don't anything about that.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
Thanks for moving this Mike.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
rightchannelradios.com has some good buyers guides and reviews. Also has how to videos.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »
SWR might be the most important thing for your whole radio setup! Tune your antenna, or you'll risk burning out your finals inside the CB.

Also, my .02 about antenna type: Buy a 108" whip. Not a 102" like most people have. The 108" is exactly a 1/4 wave and will be easier to tune, and if you get a good stainless whip, you shouldn't have a spring on it! Can't stress that enough! Don't run a sprint with your whip! I've driven under thick branches, and bent the whip pretty sharp. It always returns to it's original straightness haha...
If you don't like the way the whips look like on your whip, get a firestick, and yeah, run it with the most HD spring you can find :D

On placement: Theoretically, you want the antenna at the center of the vehicle, as high as possible. While that's nice in theory, the best practical place to put it is as high up the fender as possible, right against the cab. this will give you a decent ground plane (the hood) and also will raise it up pretty high. I see all these jeeps putting the antennas on the back (and some yotas too) but you'll get crappy transmission because you don't have a ground plane to "bounce" the waves off of. Think of it like a satellite dish: you want something to reflect your signal up and away from the base of your antenna. This is the ground plane. So you soft topper guys... fiberglass doesn't count sorry :P

Anyway, I don't claim to be a professional, and hope my .02 doesn't offend anyone... if so, go join the military and get some thicker skin :thumbsup:
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
this is old BUT my favorite for a smaller radio is a Cobra 25 with mic and RF gain.  the rf gain allows you to tune out most static without loosing range like using the squelch does.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way