Author Topic: What's stronger.. FJ-80 outers, minitruck outers, or 6-stud Marlin-based outers?  (Read 1950 times)

Eskimo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Aug '02
  • It's not a Jeep!
    • View Profile
Let's assume this would be hanging off the end of a diamond axle housing...  Going full hydro, so lack of a hi-steer on the 80 isn't an issue.

I know guys with rigs far heavier than mine (3850) are beating on the FJ-80 axles hard..  Like Christo driving on his side with his tank...

Dana 60's are not an option.

I don't think that 30-spline longs are appreciably weaker than the moly 80 birfs/inners, so I'm considering that strength equal.. (or close enough)

So with that in mind, what outers would you spec for a tough Toy front axle, and why?  :greengrin:
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2006, 04:51:11 PM by Eskimo »
'73 TLC buggy - 305/700R4/4.7 mini case, 38.5 SX's, BBQ power

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
What the hell is the question?  :headscratch:  :dunno:
FJ80 tie rod ends are stronger than minitruck, marlin steering uses said fj80 ends.  Cromo 80 birfs are very strong and larger than mini truck.  yes, 80 wheel bearings and spindles and trunions are bigger than mini trucks.  Your toyota is light so your biggest factor would be tire size...the housings will hold up fine, the 6 stud knuckles or fj80 knuckles will hold up to larger tires with the full hydro.  All will most likely be good if you don;t try to over extend your steering with a ram that is too long.

IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Eskimo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Aug '02
  • It's not a Jeep!
    • View Profile
Looking back at it, I wasn't clear... 

a front axle with a Toyota bell. Could make it a minitruck bell, or a FJ80 bell.

I guess I should have said..  which KNUCKLES are strongest...  But in addition to the knuckles alone, the spindles, hubs, bearings, etc... Basiaclly, the OUTERS.

Even though chromo 80 birfs are bigger, I've got to wonder if they're functionally any stronger, or would something else break before the bell of the birf shatters...

Basically I'm at the point where I need to start planning, and either:

1: Take my FJ40 axle as a basis, (using the FJ-60 knuckles, brakes, spindles, etc..)
2: Plan on Marlin's 6-stud knuckles, and also re-use the spindles, brakes, etc. that I have now.
3: Get the parts to complete my FJ-80 outers, and use those.

No matter which way I go, the inner shafts will be custom length, and the housing will be custom.
'73 TLC buggy - 305/700R4/4.7 mini case, 38.5 SX's, BBQ power

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
I'd say, if you're going to be running BIG tires use Marlins 6 stud. Because even though the 80 stuff is a little bigger, you still have the same 4 studs holding the arm on and with hydraulic steering you're not going to feel the resistance that you are turning against and you'll tear an arm off for sure.
A full longfield set up is spendy, but mini front knuckles should be cheap and easy to come by off of someones bent housing. 80 stuff will be harder to find (not a lot but still harder) and generally more expensive.