Author Topic: 22RE -- Help  (Read 1419 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
22RE -- Help
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:37:35 AM »
 :help:   I have a 92 4x4 PU with a 22RE.  I recently blew a head gasket because my Flexalite Blackmagic fan malfunctioned and it overheated on me.  I had to get the head decked 15 hundrets of an inch, and went ahead and did a port and polish job too.  I also replaced the injectors with flow tested LC Engineering injectors.  It has been running great for the past month, and has a very noticable increase in power!  So yesterday I was crossing a creek at a high rate of speed and the engine started cutting out.  I thought I had gotten something under the hood wet, and figured it would dry out.  So I drove it on to work, with it cutting out pretty bad.  It has been a day and still isn't running right.  It seems like it is missing real bad.  I checked the distributor cap, plug wires, and sprayed wire dry on all the conections that I could see.  Didn't help.  I even switched out the air box with the air flow sensor on it because I though maybe it had gotten water in it or something.  Still the same.  What it is doing is:  It will start, but seems like it is missing pretty bad.  it will idle for a second, then cut out.  I pulled the plug wires off one at a time and they are all getting fire to the plugs.  One thing I did notice though is that it runs the same with the back two plug wires off as it does when they are on.  And when I push the throttle it will rev to around 2,000 RPM then start cutting out really bad.  And blowing some black colored smoke out the exaust.  When I don't push the throttle it will sort of idle, but puff grey smoke out the exaust every time it misses...  Any ideas? 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE -- Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »
Make sure all of those connections are clean. The spray will dry things out, but won't help with corrosion. It doesn't take long for components like that to get enough corrosion to cause problems.
I would check every contact from the inside of the distributor to the plugs.
Then I would try some new plugs. If you are getting spart at the wires, but there's no differance in running when you pull off a wire then it may be a plug
good luck

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »
I agree, go get some new plugs and install them, I bet that the spark isn't very strong because they may have gotten too much moisture on them, if nothing else it's a cheep fix that may 1)fix the problem for $10 or 2)not help anything, but new plugs never hurt. Let us know

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »
GOt it!!!   The O2 sensor had come unplugged.  Didn't think the O2 sensor was that big of a deal, but I guess so!
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-