Author Topic: Where can i get  (Read 2108 times)

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Where can i get
« on: Jun 11, 2006, 04:46:18 PM »
a good cheap priced winch. I need to get one that will get me by for awhile  :driving: until i can save up enough cash to buy a good high dollar one. Anybody know?
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Where can i get
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
Harbor Freight/Mile marker or source a used one
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2006, 05:07:17 PM »
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
so how long do you think this would last   :gap:

:dunno: I know that the HF winches used to be made by Mile Marker. Not sure if they still are but it looks the same to me
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »
Its really all about duty cycle isn't it. I mean the winch is rated at say 9000 pounds, at its best it will pull 9000 pounds for a certain amount of time. If your stuck it will pull you out. A nice warn winch or better will pull you all the way threw the con and back if you can charge your battery in between pulls. I Say save your duckets and buy the better one, to get the cheep one would just be a waist of 300 dollars you could put into somthing else.   :twocents:
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2006, 05:57:40 PM »
im buying one of those just for peace of mind.  i owned a warn and  had nothing but problems with the controll pack on the winch  and i think i used it 3 or 4 times just for my self.  one thing to think about  is how much you think you would use it.  if you are gonna be on trails where you are gonna winch a bunch  id buy a warn 8274 ( best winch they make IMO).   just think about the trails you run and what you want to do.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2006, 06:07:20 PM »
How much you wanna spend...I got this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D930002&N=400304+115&autoview=sku
Shipped for bout $415

When you open it you realize you actually bought this:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »
I believe in buying the best you can afford. That doesn't always mean Warn. I bought a 9000 lb Milemarker from a shop on ebay.
I'd still save until you can get a quality one. In the mean time D rings, straps and a good jack can probably get you out of most situations. Besides...if you're a smart driver and know your limits you shouldn't get stuck all that often.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2006, 12:53:37 AM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2006, 10:18:21 PM »
Theres nothing wrong with Mile Marker, except they are SLOW. I know people who have had problems with every brand of winch.  :dunno:
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
Milemarker's hydralic winches look pretty sweet.  The fact that the Army uses them is cool, I mean if it's good enough for them, then chances are it's good enough for me. 
Welders Hold the World Together!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2006, 07:37:07 AM »
Hydro winches are super beef, but don't forget...truck stalls, winch won't work!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2006, 08:51:59 PM »
That's true, but isn't it also true if you run an electric winch on battery power alone (ie, with the motor off) You can drain your battery real fast or you won't have as much power as you would if the motor was running.  I'd be kinda leary of running a hydro winch with a carb, I know steep inclines and off camber stuff can screw with Holley carbs, I guess Webers and other carbs are the same.
Welders Hold the World Together!