Author Topic: SAS pics and tips...........  (Read 4398 times)

86RockRunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
SAS pics and tips...........
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:27:02 PM »
I'm goin to be doin an SAS on my rig here shortly, so if anyone has pics or helpful tips to ditching the IFS that they had problems with, or ways that help...........post em' up. Thanks. Oh yea, also looking for an axle. Let me know if you can help me out. I'm in Kirkland,WA.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: SAS pics and tips...........
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »
logan do a search there buddy. an sas has been done many a times. hell you have a great resourse right in your town, NICK! he is plenty knowledged in doing an sas on a toyota. my next question is are you ready to go solid? why do you need to ditch your ifs? how often do you go wheeling? i hate to bust your balls but i would wheel and drive it how it is till at least winter, and if you feel you really need to go solid, do it. for right now i would lock the rear, put a mc07 in there and have a blast. with those two items alone it will be night and day :thumbs: 

here read this to.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14926.0
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2005, 04:11:25 PM by Skinny_Pedal »
Im an OG

86RockRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2005, 11:26:01 PM »
I've had enough of my IFS, plus I'd rather lock a solid and do a lot more wheelin with a capable rig.....But its good to know ur alive in Laramie Gavin, keep me posted with whats goin on.

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005, 12:33:01 AM »
dude skinny, dont give me more credit than i deserve.  whats the difference between this ifs and solid axle anyone?  can someone define ifs for me?  it sounds cool so i wanna do one.  i have a 91 toyota single cab with a 7" body lift and 30x9.5" BFG MUD TERRAINS.  they work AWESOME in the mud. shwing.  is that spring hanger dealy that marlin sells for a solid axle?  do they make it in bolt on because i dont know how to weld.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005, 04:40:18 PM »
I've had enough of my IFS, plus I'd rather lock a solid and do a lot more wheelin with a capable rig.....But its good to know ur alive in Laramie Gavin, keep me posted with whats goin on.

who said anything about locking the front? i said lock the read and put a doubler in it. you have a lot to learn my friend
Im an OG

bmxanddie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 557
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »
Well I got a locked rear and ifs, and I can still go where I need too. Sure my car is dented to hell now, but whatever. Lock the rear and go duals. (maybe even a new not-so-metallic paint job :gap: ) Then once you realize that your sisters power wheel jeep has more flex, cut the IFS off.

toyrolet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Apr '05
  • guns dont kill people!!! people do
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2005, 10:33:20 PM »
 :laugh: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :laugh:
Well I got a locked rear and ifs, and I can still go where I need too. Sure my car is dented to hell now, but whatever. Lock the rear and go duals. (maybe even a new not-so-metallic paint job :gap: ) Then once you realize that your sisters power wheel jeep has more flex, cut the IFS off.
LOVE the referance to the pwr wheel. :beerchug:
Redneck defined: Devine Lack of Sofistication
Life is sexually transmitted
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

Tweeked89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Whoa!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:15:25 PM »
dude skinny, dont give me more credit than i deserve. whats the difference between this ifs and solid axle anyone? can someone define ifs for me? it sounds cool so i wanna do one. i have a 91 toyota single cab with a 7" body lift and 30x9.5" BFG MUD TERRAINS. they work AWESOME in the mud. shwing. is that spring hanger dealy that marlin sells for a solid axle? do they make it in bolt on because i dont know how to weld.
IFS= Independent Front Suspension. its the coolest thing around :yesnod: . and a 7" body lift with 30s, Gawd Damn that thing must look hilarious.
W.H.O.R.E. founding member
-My G-Ride-[/b]
89 Ex-cab Toyota, V6, Locked Dana 60s, new 39" IROKS, kinda built kinda not

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:37:26 PM »
IFS= Independent Front Suspension. its the coolest thing around :yesnod: . and a 7" body lift with 30s, Gawd Damn that thing must look hilarious.
i hope you know i am joking.  i have an 81, painted up all metallic haha.  its got a few mods done to it, i was completely joking in that post.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

4x4fiend

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:02:09 PM »
lmao-7" body lift with 30s, i would bloddy hope your joking...
run your IFS till it breaks, i've got a solidaxle geared locked and skidded sitting in my room, but theres no point in puttig it on till you break the ifs, that way you'll learn how to find lines and navigate better. throw a locker in the rear and maybe some dual cases and you'll be having tons of fun.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »
:yesnod: I just stuffed some 33's under my IFS w/o any lift and put a welded third in the rear and I can go most anywhere. Next will be the cases. Get a couple good trial runs under your belt then ditch the IFS.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2005, 10:26:51 PM »
agreed that that one!! just run the ifs to sh*t then switch over! i ran mine and blew out my dif so i decided its time to switch.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

86RockRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2005, 10:54:14 AM »
Yea,i wont be soin an SAS until after winter......so i suppose i can thrash my IFS until then.

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2005, 10:56:56 AM »
i did the rubicon at mcr4 with my ifs runner, then got home, lauged at all the carnage, and cut it off!! ive got a perty good sas page up now, check my posts for some usefull pics

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2005, 04:55:05 PM »
:yesnod: I just stuffed some 33's under my IFS w/o any lift and put a welded third in the rear and I can go most anywhere. Next will be the cases. Get a couple good trial runs under your belt then ditch the IFS.

Still got IFS, its seen the 'con, snow, numerous trails in the sierras.  Keep runnign IFS til you hit something you cant do, then decide :yupyup: l
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

86RockRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2005, 03:27:34 PM »
The thing is that it's getting lifted, and theres no sense in payin for and IFS lift then doin an SAS like a year later.....

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
got a 91 with an aussie in the rear and 33's. besides doin a lot of clutch work it wheels pretty good. SAS in progress and get wait to get it finished and out on the trails again. reason: found another 7.5 carrier and welded it for the front, opened the diff and saw the ring gear was going hobo style and missing 3 teeth. decided to leave it at that and parts are in the mail. by the way if anybody needs parts off an IFS besides the ring gear let me know, they are now for sale.

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2005, 06:20:19 AM »
my only trouble is i like a 2 inch lift and can't find 2 inch wide springs that are long enough but only move the axle 1 inch forward

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2005, 05:16:52 PM »
why do you want to go with a straight axle so bad?? from what i can tell from gavin is that you are still new to this so why straight axle so fast?? i dont really see a point to do a sas on a rig when you are still inexperienced as a driver not trying to be a thingy or anyhitng jsut staing what i think learn how to wheel with if and learn what to do before you spend the time and money for a sas just get a ifs lift probly can find a used one for600 or so myabe even cheaper and jsut wheel that lock her up and maybe go with duals and you will be set i took my runner alot of places i thought i couldnt with the ifs it taught me how to drive and all that tho so it was well worth it, how much wheelin are you planning on putting this thing up to also would be another main concern if its gonna be your daily driver and occasional trail runner why waste the time for the sas? unless you plan on doing lots of wheeling keep the ifs until you break it. if you want a locker for the ifs i have one sittin here used for about 5 min still ahve to take the diff apart and make sure its all good still but pretty sure it is
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road