Author Topic: how do you check to see if a housing is straight?  (Read 1686 times)

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
how do you check to see if a housing is straight?
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 05:48:43 PM »
I broke another longfield in Las Cruces this past weekend. :mad:  It was on the same side as the other 3, so I'm thinking my housing may be bent. Plus even after replacing the inner seal it still leaks. Does anyone know how to check a housing to see if it's straight or not? Thanks :beerchug:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

musclesliver

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Aug '05
  • huh??? Where am I???
    • View Profile
level???

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
I am not an expert on stuff like this, but since you aren't getting much advise I will offer an idea.

Try putting the axle into the diff without an axle seal in the housing. See if the axle looks very centered in the seal bore. You can wiggle the axle around a little and get a feel for where it is centered in the side gear, more or less just taking the weight off the end of it. By the sounds of your problem, it should show if the axle is pretty far off center.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
I was thinking of something like that. Just didn't know if there was an exact way to do it. I've got another housing that I willl probly swap in this weekend. I need to tare the one thats in there now apart anyways.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
actually it sounds more like a trunion bearing bad  throwing your knuckle out of line

if you just installed trunion bearings did you make sure your shims were evend out top and bottom,  if not thats your trouble,  bad trunions or shiming to much to one side will make birfs go and seals worthless
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way