Author Topic: Toyota Engine Coolant  (Read 2359 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyota Engine Coolant
« on: Aug 18, 2005, 07:11:25 AM »
Anybody know what make it special?  The dealer flushed my system last night and put in Toyota (Red in Color) coolant plus a cleaning agent and seal conditioner.  The coolant is $25 a gallon (the job was free due to a previous screw up with my truck) and I thought he told me to use green and not red coolant..but he did suggest that I got a gallon of the toyota product to carry.  I was surprised to find red in it when I got home, I am planning to call for the official explaination.  I'm thinking that I just misunderstood him.

They also have Toyota brand oil, but the dealers all use Castrol, hmm.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

grandeyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Apr '05
  • The Gonkulator
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Engine Coolant
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2005, 07:48:45 AM »
I've been using red for a while and every time I go get some the price is a little higher on the stuff. Last time it was about $18 a gallon. I think it's more important to not mix the green and red than either using one or the other. Just keep up on changing it on time and you should be alright. The difference is that there are no silicates in the red. I like it better but it will find leaks easier than a coolent with them.
The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:06:04 AM »
Anybody know what make it special?  The dealer flushed my system last night and put in Toyota (Red in Color) coolant plus a cleaning agent and seal conditioner.  The coolant is $25 a gallon (the job was free due to a previous screw up with my truck) and I thought he told me to use green and not red coolant..but he did suggest that I got a gallon of the toyota product to carry.  I was surprised to find red in it when I got home, I am planning to call for the official explaination.  I'm thinking that I just misunderstood him.

They also have Toyota brand oil, but the dealers all use Castrol, hmm.

:yikes: by red you mean Dex-Cool right? $25 a freekin gallon! It's like, $13 at Kragens...or it was when I worked there the beginning of the year :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:42:44 AM »
Search on PBB for the coolant thread.  There is specifics about the chemical makeup of the coolants and what to and what not to mix with what.  Its a very informative thread.  I believe it may also be posted on here too.

Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2005, 09:25:05 AM »
The biggest deal is to not mix them, you can use whichever you want but make sure if you have one type and for some reason you want to switch then make sure you give it a good flush before putting a diff type in. Newer chebbies run dex-cool which is red-orange in color and it supposedly has longer lifespan. Whatever...go 50/50 with the cheapest shiat you can find and drive it!
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

biteme

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 119
  • Member since Nov '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2005, 08:00:53 PM »
two words:: water-wetter

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »
old toyotas got green too, it's what i run in mine.  our local dealer is ripoff city, i only get hard to find parts there