Author Topic: Any downside to running a 4-link???  (Read 5004 times)

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Any downside to running a 4-link???
« Reply #30 on: Jul 11, 2005, 05:58:52 PM »
long flat links and a tall roll axis are all ive ever tried to put into a 'rockcrawling' rear suspension.....

i dont know about drag cars(since they go in a straight line) but race cars build low roll centers to load tires for traction and counter act it with sway bars.

you could mimic a drag car with building little or no antisquat and have it sit onto the bumpstops when driving(launching) up a granite wall, etc.  the term antisquat is very vague though, since the actual measurement for C of G is very ambiguous and depends radically on the design of the vehicle(truck/buggy/etc)

a lot of vertical seperation at the axle end will make it stout, but the mounting point/truss for the uppers is very vulnerable to failure because of the tremendous leverage placed on it

i had a little problem with my rear axle feeling like it was shifting(side to side) under acceleration when turning very sharp.  i moved my lowers out about 1.5-2'' on each side(about where brendan recommended) and it seems to have tamed it.  i also had a bit of bouncing when i broke traction climbing.  i moved the uppers up another inch at the axle and it has vanished, with the exception of a bit of axle wrap on the front leaf springs.

if your building a truck or a 4runner were you cant cut up into the body and have no bodylift your best bet would be to make the uppers 75% of your lowers in length and your vertical seperation at the frame end 75% that of the axle. its a simple formula thatll get, at the very least, a good rear 4link.

if you flopp up your 4link you could build a truck sit and bounce and never climb anything, a truck thatll roll onto its side when turning in your driveway, a truck thatll steer itself off your line every time it gets flexed out, a truck that feels very unstable off camber on sidehilss, a truck that worked a thousand times better when you had good old leaf springs...

you act like you can build anything and know everything, but then you ask us to analyze a top view drawing?  you sure you know what your doing?? 

try the 4link calculator on pirate4x4 and move things around getting different numbers for roll axis and even antisquat(use the top bolt of the bell housing for reference)

....for everyone who complimented my truck/suspension.. :beerchug: thanks!
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 11, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
Excellent tool for figuring the math and showing you the layout. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204893&highlight=analyzer

Just download version 3, punch in your numbers, and it will tell you the important numbers. IIRC for Anti squat you want between 85 and 105 and for the roll axis, you want as close to 0 as is possible.
"between projects"

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »

you act like you can build anything and know everything, but then you ask us to analyze a top view drawing? you sure you know what your doing??

I can build anything, it's just a matter of getting it right...... lol