Author Topic: tacoma mods  (Read 3250 times)

tacomatime

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
tacoma mods
« on: Sep 03, 2003, 09:26:24 AM »
I have a 99 tacoma with an ARB ome suspension,trd clutch, 31x10.5 tires.I am looking to ARB lock front and rear with 4.88 gears for a start. Is this the place to start before getting into a dual trasfer case set up? Is this worth doing with IFS or should i save up for a SAS swap?
This is my first toyota, and I have a lot to learn, but want to do this right the first time!!  IFS vs.SA ? Where is my $ best spent?

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Re:tacoma mods
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »
a locker is a good start..so is rock protection..bumpers,,rock sliders.If you are going to build a wheeler then a stright axle should be in your future before wasting money on gears and lockers that won't fit the new front end..I guess depending on how and what you want your rig to do and how extreme you want to make it.Gears and lockers is always a good choise but I don't know that they make an arb for the front of a taco..How do you plan and what kind of terrian do you wheel?
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

tacomatime [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2003, 01:27:08 PM »
I plan on doing classic trails etc... in Moab, Colorado,Cali.
Crawlin' for sure, just not sure how hard yet, just got this rig. Any minimum on what is really needed as far as lift, tires etc...to be able to do some knarl? The ARB lift is only about 3" so I'm sure this is a limitation already.
There is a new ARB for the front end available now, as well as beefed up components for IFS, but I know this will limit me at some point, depending.

krawlr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
  • ManBearPig Rowrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Krawlr website
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2003, 09:30:46 PM »
I ran 2" suspension and 2" body lift with 33" SSR's. I had a lockright up front at first, it was hard on the power steering but I still loved it. If you can swing an ARB in the front, that would be sweet. I later put an ARB in the rear but a lockright would have done the job.

With sliders, bumpers, skids, front locker, and a winch, you can hit most of the good stuff. Just carry a spare CV or 2.  :greengrin:

Just a fair warning: I used to claim I'd never get rid of my IFS. Now there's a D44 under the front with ARB, chromos, and CTM's running 36's ........... oops. :smack:

Go on some trail rides and ride shotgun. Get a better idea of what can do what and how far you may want to take your truck someday.
27-AT, some other adapter, flipped D300, twin sticks on cables.
[shamelessplug] www.krawlr.com [/shamelessplug]

Don

tacomatime [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2003, 12:44:26 PM »
Yea thats a good idea i"m just getting to know some folks around colorado that are toyota core, really looks like i want to sa this thing before dropin coin on ifs though
i just priced fnt&r arb lockers and gears installed for around $4000, few more $1000 and i got a sa, probable worth it
in the long run