Author Topic: Loud POW and clutch no worky  (Read 2624 times)

TATER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 152
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Loud POW and clutch no worky
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:27:16 PM »
 This 84  4 Runner is startng to piss me off.

Ever since I bought it, I have been chasing a vibration. Did rear wheel bearings while doing gears. That helped. Did u-joints. That helped. Then noticed that 4th gear had a little noise between 3K rpm and 4K rpm. Wasn't to worried, but vibe continued. So I'm taking a weekend spin to enjoy the weather, hit about 70 mph and POW. I shift into nuetral and the clutch goes to the floor. A roadside look under the hood finds the Weber aircleaner gone. Whaaa? A quick hike back to point of loud noise, and parts of cleaner are scattered about. I was thinking backfire. Get back to truck and look again. To my suprise, a crack all the way around the bell housing.

So I summise that the clutch explodedwhich pushed the trans back some.

Will this trans be any good if the bell housing is swapped? Or does an exploded clutch mean a wasted input shaft also. I am seeing more fluid than before.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Loud POW and clutch no worky
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 12:13:51 AM »
Ouch! sounds like a bad deal.  Your input bearings are most likely toast as is the input shaft possibly.  A catastophic explosion like that may have taken out the flywheel as well, the rear main seal could have gotten wiped out with a bad vibe for an extended period of time too.  Im sure Marlin will have some more/better knowledge of what this could entail to fix as well.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 01:26:37 AM »
I have seen a flywheel loosen & shatter from vibration. Took a nice chunk out of the bell housing.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 11:00:34 AM »
there's a lot of aftermarket scatter guards available for american transmissions, but never seen one for a toy.  i've heard some real horror stories about flywheels blowing up :psss:

TATER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 07:53:28 PM »
 The flywheel is more than likely OK. I can start the engine .

I have a line on a trans w/ a bad bearing. Do a rebuild and I'm good to go. Only problem is that I have never even opened a trans before. I really looking for a good used trans for under $200. Damn local junkyards want $800 for one w/ 90 warrenty. A $150 rebuild kit on the trans w/ bad bearing and I'm good. Thats assuming I dont mess it all up. :crossed:

Any rebuild links? I gotta FSM, but some "whatch out for this" insite would be nice.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
got i hate it when :pokinit: breaks hearing that brings back bad memories :ack:

TATER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 07:19:41 PM »
  I got the damn thing off today. Clutch fine, other than normal wear. Most of the bellhousing bolts were LOOSE. I believe that a combination of loose bolts and all the other vibrations along w/ dead leaf springs conspired to leave me stranded.

So.... a junkyard bellhousing should get me back on the road. This is temporary at best. The input shaft has some up and down play.

I got 2 people who are willing to give me cores for rebuild. I'm still wary of a home rebuild. A local trans shop told me that they charge $165 just to crack it open. Then only replace anything thats broken or worn out.

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 07:27:58 PM »
Where are you at, I got a bell housing or 2 in my basement.
Also look at your crossmember, has it been bent? What about the braces from your engine block to the bottom of the bellhousing.

After a while of hitting your crosmember on things it can get bent and start to pull on the engine. Then the motor mounts can only flex so far and the pounding of every hit goes somewhere. if your lucky the bellhousing breaks. If your not youre block cracks. I have done both.

Here is some fun reading. there is part in it about my bellhousing.
http://www.riceontherocks.org/those.htm
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

TATER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 09:40:38 PM »
  Thanks for the offer, but one of the rebuildable cores is donating a bell housing.

Interesting story. Its sounds like days I have had. I have been know to be "That Guy". "That guy" who broke something. "That guy " who forgot his Hi-Lift. "That guy" that w/out a spare...LOL :smack: