Author Topic: 38 Weber issues  (Read 834 times)

Mikaloha

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
38 Weber issues
« on: Aug 25, 2021, 11:13:18 PM »
Been having some issues with too rich of a mixture on my 22r. I recently rebuilt the 22r with +40 pistons and 1mm valves, and pro torquer cam. I also have headers with the pro flow exhaust and a 38 Weber with electric choke. I’ve only put about 100 miles on the rebuild.

I am having some serious soot and water coming out of the exhaust on a cold startup. My exhaust isn’t oily at all. And after it is warm if I punch the throttle I get grey smoke. Definite signs of running rich I believe.  I live in Hawaii so it’s not crazy cold in the mornings. I’ve tuned the carb to the best of my abilities. My mixture screws are set 3/4 turn out. I have a new fuel pump, I’ve got the Weber low pressure fuel regulator with the pressure gauge. I’ve set it to 2.5 psi and it still spits soot on the startup and smokes when I hit the throttle after it’s warm. I’ve also set the psi at 2 and it still smokes on the throttle.  Another weird problem is after about 5-10 minutes of idling I lose about .5 psi.  I’m planning on the changing the jets to leaner jets.

Let me know if anyone has any recommendations. Could it be I need leaner jets? Could it be my float levels? Has anyone heard of losing fuel pressure on a regulator?

Any information is a big help.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 38 Weber issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
My gauge has a little rubber plug on it.  When you break the seal on the plug it eases something in the gauge and you get an accurate reading.  Your gauge might be fooling you.

Certainly take the top off and check your float level, so you can at least rule that out.

On the jetting, I would look over the specs/directions on "best lean idle" for that Weber 38 and see what it tells you.  There is a certain amount of turns out on the idle screws and a range between when it idles rough on the lean end and then starts running rough on the fat end that you want to be that will indicate what idle jets you want.  It sounds like you all ready know this but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.

My kid is running a 38 and his likes to idle a bit higher than my 32/36 to remain happy.  He likes a 1,250 rpm idle where I can run smooth at 900.  That 38 is a badass carb and chucks a lot of fuel and air in there all at once.  I wouldn't expect it to run like a smooth, progressive, economy carb.

You might also consider installing a vac guage and a good air fuel mixture gauge to take the guess work out of your tuning.  They really help.  When I was getting way into the weeds tuning I learned a ton after adding these gauges.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K