Author Topic: Should I get this cheap 2wd pickup for its 2RZ-FE  (Read 2169 times)

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
Should I get this cheap 2wd pickup for its 2RZ-FE
« on: Aug 26, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Long time lurker here....but now it's time to get to work.

I got my own 1990 Daihatsu Rocky this year, and was going to get it on the road over the next couple of months.

However: within a mile of my house, someone is selling a good-running, 1998 Tacoma 2wd auto for $900. I have to check it out, of course, but assuming all is well...is it worth that price to use the engine for the swap I had planned for my Rocky? I know it will fit, I know it needs shenanigans to get it to work right...but I think this is a good deal, yes?

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Long time lurker here....but now it's time to get to work.

I got my own 1990 Daihatsu Rocky this year, and was going to get it on the road over the next couple of months.

However: within a mile of my house, someone is selling a good-running, 1998 Tacoma 2wd auto for $900. I have to check it out, of course, but assuming all is well...is it worth that price to use the engine for the swap I had planned for my Rocky? I know it will fit, I know it needs shenanigans to get it to work right...but I think this is a good deal, yes?
Go for it, use a 2RZ and Toyota trans and T case. Sounds like a sick build, I've only seen one Rocky in my entire life, cool rigs!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 291
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Aug '08
  • lockers before light bars.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i like most of us here have an issue where i can not pas up a deal on a car under $1000. i say check it out and if it looks good pull the trigger.
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)
1987 4runner Sr5 current sas build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101170.new#new

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Thanks for the fast reply, guys.

So, next dumb question, I will (Obviously) need to score the tranny and transfer case.

The Rocky is currently stick, and I'd like to keep it that way. What's the Toyota manual tranny to go for, so I can start looking?

Ditto the transfer case.

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions: since I'm not dropping this into another Toyota truck, I don't know what to find to match this all. If there's a thread that anyone knows of I would be happy to use that; I didn't find anything through a search.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
But see, this truck in question (and a parts one I just found yesterday, too, also nearby) are 2wd. I know engine reflashes have to happen, or so I've read, but is it a matter of swapping the bellhousing for the transfer case to go on? I'm very confused, but since I'm dealing with an engine that is already likely toast in my Rocky, spending a lot of money for a new Rocky engine vs. a "new" Toyota mill seems like a no-brainer.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Well, if it's "just switching the bellhousing," then that makes me feel slightly better. Yes...the Rocky is a manual as of now anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll go for it. I assume I can simply steal everything I need off of the Tacoma and then put it, as time permits, onto the Rocky and see how we go. Like...take the entire fuel system and use that on the Rocky.

One of the POs for my Rocky added a much-larger-than-stock gas tank, which is pretty securely mounted...but to access the sending unit and all that, cut a hole in the floor and put a piano hinge in to have access to it via this flap. It's not a bad job, actually:

EDITED TO ADD BEFORE PAINTING AND ALL THAT, FLAP OPEN

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I gotta say, that little flap installed is really nice. I might add one on my pickup, removing the bed to get at the fuel sending unit is a pain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk