Author Topic: 22r Burning Oil  (Read 12835 times)

birfection

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
22r Burning Oil
« on: Oct 25, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »
I have a 22r, each cylinder measures 126 psi compression test. The motor runs awesome, but burns about a quart of oil per tank of gas. I can see smoke upon start up and when i floor the throttle i can see blue(sometimes black) smoke. Is it valve seals? If so, should i replace the head gasket while i'm at it?
TITAN CRUSHER      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qnDVgWBSA

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 22r Burning Oil
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2009, 06:12:41 AM »
valve seals are only part of the problem, your going to be looking at a full rebuild a year or so down the road,  a qt every tank full isnt bad at all, when you get to needing to carry a qt with you on a 20 mile drive then you need to bite the bullet,  basically  start gathering parts and $, locate a good machine shop near you

a good machinist is worth his weight in gold
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

birfection [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
Can you elaborate on what my oil burning issue might be? And what would i need a machinist to do? How much does a typical rebuild of a 22r cost?

I only drive this truck about 6,000 miles a year, so could i get away with just replacing the head gasket and valve seals?
TITAN CRUSHER      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qnDVgWBSA

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

acerbis

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
Mines doing the same!
you'll never be younger then you are today

1stgenboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »
my '81 was burning oil but still had good compression and I was a bit baffled by this.  When I pulled the head and popped a piston out I found the compression rings to be good but the oil rings were carboned up bad.  I knocked the carbon loose and the oil rings seemed good then too.  I allready had new rings and bearings so I just replaced them.  I wish I had just slowly dumped a couple of quarts of ATF down the throat and I might not have had to rering it at all.

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
automatic transmission fluid in the motor???

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
i found that weather these motors are fresh or old........ they all burn oil. its their nature from what ive seen. i just recently built a new motor with a new head from engnbldr and given about every tank full ill run through 1 qt. of oil. i also run it hard and high rev's (right up to redline).

i found the less you rev it (3000rpm's and under) it will not burn (if not as much) oil. i found that just about every toyota i have had usually whent through oil. just depends on how hard you run it. if you are babying your truck and it still burns oil i think there is an issue. also........ allow it FULL WARM UP before you drive down the road. i found this to help prevent oil consumption as well.

another issue ive noticed that will eat oil is a rich condition........ if your truck is running too rich it will wash off oil in the cylinder and burn it out the exhaust..... other issues would also follow this however so its all a matter of what you determine your main issue is.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
My 81 didn't burn a lick of oil and I ran the piss out of it.  My current engine in the 80 has around 40,000 miles and doesn't burn oil, but my 91 must.  No smoke at all, but it does go through oil and every time I change the spark plugs there's a buildup on one side of each plug.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

1stgenboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2009, 09:15:52 AM »
ATF is very high in detergent.  Slowly poured into the throat while keeping the engine running can loosen up carbonized rings and help get carbon off valve stems.  It is an OLD school trick.

MrFatEggs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
If anyone reads this, do not put atf in your oil. It can help to clean carbon but it's not worth the risks. Just use seafoam.

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
My 22R failed smog 3 weeks ago and passed with flying colors yesterday because I rebuilt the head using Viton rubber valve guide seals and a Felpro top gasket set.
Total cost financially was about $60.00 including seals, gaskets, grey gasket maker and some new heater hose for the bypass under the manifold.
I bought my engine from eBay two years ago for $1100.00 delivered, it was assembled using the cheapest gasket set sold and it contained the worst seals made but, they do last more than the year the engine was guaranteed for.
I knew when I bought this engine I'd be changing the valve stem seals eventually but, I thought it would be like four or five years, not less than 24 months. It's done though and it was not that difficult a chore to handle.
I must admit that rebuilding cylinder heads is one of the most gratifying jobs I can do inside an engine, take it from a piece of crap to a fully functional piece of mechanical art work is something that makes me feel like I've accomplished something important which it is.
fasterspider, now older and slower.