Author Topic: Clutch Disc Orientation....  (Read 5645 times)

Cavu2usf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Clutch Disc Orientation....
« on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
Again, I never noted it on removal:

Which side goes toward the engine?

Photo #1 here......

..... Or Photo #2 here?

Clearance issues with the Clutch Fingers tells me Pic #2 faces the Flywheel.   Am I right?  :sad2:

Thanks.
Steve

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Disc Orientation....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
I think that's right, but... Do yourself a favor and get a fresh one since you have it apart. I tried to re-use a still acceptable factory clutch with a bunch of miles on it when I put my stuff together.  It spun out and smoked the disc on thick gear oil at -27F.  I had to use a crummy autozone clutch to fix it because it was all I could get on a Sunday in BFE Montana. I was concerned about using a cheapo clutch. It was only $70, it's been over a year of towing and abuse and it's still working great.

I think Napa sells one for like $140 that's even the OEM brand.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cavu2usf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
I think that's right, but... Do yourself a favor and get a fresh one since you have it apart. I tried to re-use a still acceptable factory clutch with a bunch of miles on it when I put my stuff together.  It spun out and smoked the disc on thick gear oil at -27F.  I had to use a crummy autozone clutch to fix it because it was all I could get on a Sunday in BFE Montana. I was concerned about using a cheapo clutch. It was only $70, it's been over a year of towing and abuse and it's still working great.

I think Napa sells one for like $140 that's even the OEM brand.

Thank you sir!  :usa:

It's not the cost that stops me from replacement. It's just the fact that there's only about 5,000 miles on it AND the Clutch, and it was as dry as a bone in Twenty-Nine Stumps. Besides, I don't work the truck that hard and/or that often. The whole reason for this rebuild was an insidious pin-hole leak in the lower radiator hose shootin' straight down on the road. No smoke, no smell, no noise, just a slightly noticeable slowdown in speed. When little/no change in speed with gas pedal happened, I right away looked at the Temp Gauge. PEGGED TO H The damage was done. :maddest:  After all, how many of us include the temp gauge in our scan when just driving down the Interstate on a day of average temperature?

Steve

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
OK I would run it then!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,251
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
....  After all, how many of us include the temp gauge in our scan when just driving down the Interstate on a day of average temperature?

Steve

I "scan" my instruments *constantly* while driving any of my vehicles, especially my Toyota truck.  It is a habit I got into and I do it almost subconsciously.  Here in AZ in the summer months we can get up to 110+ degrees.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
Thank you sir!  :usa:

... there's only about 5,000 miles on it AND the Clutch, and it was as dry as a bone in Twenty-Nine Stumps...
hen just driving down the Interstate on a day of average temperature?

I would take a clean wire brush and clean clutch disc and blow it off with compressed air, if you have a compressor.  I would also take a wooden flat block of wood and a piece of emery cloth and clean the flywheel and the pressure plate then wipe those two metal surfaces with a clean cloth and brake cleaner, MEK, acetone, or lacquer thinner.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Cavu2usf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Flatside towards flywheel.

https://www.yotatech.com/f116/what-side-clutch-goes-flywheel-265188/

Thanks much for the thread emsvitil.  :beerchug:

Installed today! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Helps havin a retired DC-10 Mechanic for a neighbor too.

It's in.

Thanks for the help guys.
Steve

Cavu2usf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
I "scan" my instruments *constantly* while driving any of my vehicles, especially my Toyota truck.  It is a habit I got into and I do it almost subconsciously.  Here in AZ in the summer months we can get up to 110+ degrees.

Gnarls.

Yes, drivin in the desert would make me more conscience of that life-sustaining engine instrument too I sure. :yesnod:  I-5 is almost a stone's throw from the Pacific down here: Cool with westerly breezes even in August. Weather's the only reason this retiree's still here. :greengrin:

Steve

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:29:29 AM »
Hey Cavu2usf,

What year is that primered Corvette.... 70, 71, 72, or 73?

Are your restoring it, or just storing it?

Just curious.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:43:48 AM »
... get a fresh one since you have it apart.....

This is good advice when you have the tranny pulled.  But....since I don't pull anything and don't wheel with this truck right now, I did not install a new clutch disc this time, which I may kick my dumb-a$$ for later.  I had about 012" material left above the rivets, so I figured it had a good amount of mileage on it.

But... when I have to take a 1/2 day (I'm slower than most) to pull the tranny and do a clutch job, that $??.XX I saved then will seem totally worthless.

Gnarls.

Cavu2usf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:27:09 AM »
Hey Cavu2usf,

What year is that primered Corvette.... 70, 71, 72, or 73?

Are your restoring it, or just storing it?

Gnarly4X,

The car's a '73 project I bought locally 5 years ago. Was pretty much original according to the build sheet. Friend gave me a '76 C-10 4-bolt main block and I made a 383 out of it, but rebuilt the original engine and storing it. Auto tranny, just like 73% of all Vettes that year (so I've read), interior and suspension re-done. But the damn paint job, a year after I stripped it, STILL ISN'T DONE! :snare:
But I gotta get this truck engine done first. You know how it is: We can't LIVE without a Pickup! :gap:

Steve

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:48:53 AM »
Gnarly4X,

The car's a '73 project I bought locally 5 years ago. Was pretty much original according to the build sheet. Friend gave me a '76 C-10 4-bolt main block and I made a 383 out of it, but rebuilt the original engine and storing it. Auto tranny, just like 73% of all Vettes that year (so I've read), interior and suspension re-done. But the damn paint job, a year after I stripped it, STILL ISN'T DONE! :snare:
But I gotta get this truck engine done first. You know how it is: We can't LIVE without a Pickup! :gap:

Steve

Hey Steve... I'm jealous.  I'd give my left testicle to have my '67 coupe back!!  :yikes:

Yeah... I've been truck-less for so long, when I finally get to drive my XtraCab again, I'll probably pee myself I'll be so excited!!  :disturbed:   :_oops2:

Gnarls.  :spin:
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2017, 12:59:57 PM by Gnarly4X »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »
I love that 1st gen toyota. Yall can have your drool festival over useless 2 seater cars lol
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
Roger  that, redneck.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
I love that 1st gen toyota. Yall can have your drool festival over useless 2 seater cars lol

Yeah… the 1st Gen Toy 4x4 is one of coolest trucks ever built, no doubt.

I like the looks of the 1984 thru 1988 Toy 4x4's better.

I loved my ’85 shortbed and had more fun driving it than anything after my 1967 Fastback Vette.

My current ’86 is a real beauty - basically unmolested and almost completely stock.

At 25 years of age, I had more fun with my ’67 Vette (and the incredible Italian beauty) than anything I could have imagined.

That “useless 2 seater car” would be worth way North of $100,000 today…. Wouldn’t that make YOU drool?

Gnarls.

Cavu2usf [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:16:07 PM »
Yeah… the 1st Gen Toy 4x4 is one of coolest trucks ever built, no doubt.

I like the looks of the 1984 thru 1988 Toy 4x4's better.

I loved my ’85 shortbed and had more fun driving it than anything after my 1967 Fastback Vette.

My current ’86 is a real beauty - basically unmolested and almost completely stock.

At 25 years of age, I had more fun with my ’67 Vette (and the incredible Italian beauty) than anything I could have imagined.

That “useless 2 seater car” would be worth way North of $100,000 today…. Wouldn’t that make YOU drool?

Gnarls.

... sigh......

Steve