Author Topic: First Crawler  (Read 3989 times)

JToyotaCO

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
First Crawler
« on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
If you were to build a crawler from a stock pickup, what you be your go to vehicle/year, and why?

Looking to setup a truck to crawl around the mountains in next spring and would like input on what to look for.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: First Crawler
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
I would find a 1st gen 4runner shell with no motor, trans or seats for less than $800

Swap in 3rd/4th gen leather interior

Find a 4bt/TDI/OM617 diesel and corresponding manual transmission..

Rear ARB, front Tru Trac

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
The first gen runners are good but try and find an 85 and older so it already has solid axle. That said I wheel an ifs and other then smashing control arms I really like it. But I'd like an 80s single cab pick up with a  solid axle up. Depending on where in co you are (guessing from your name) http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5849486866.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarhead

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 435
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »
X2^ on 85 or older 4runner because of the factory solid front axle.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »
X2^ on 85 or older 4runner because of the factory solid front axle.

But then you've gotta deal with the factory hanger if you wanna move the front axle forward..

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:01:15 AM »
But for a nice truck to start with. Something just to hit the mountains. I am more the confident in my ifs on 31s but I think a stock solid axle with some lockers and 35s would to pretty damn good. I suppose it's really up to JToy on this and what he really wants it to be as well as the funds he has. I agree with you excab that a diesel in a first gen would be sweet, but as something for some one just getting in to it? I don't think it's a good idea to have that set as what he needs to have first. Any older Toyota would be good. Doesn't really matter what old Yota but I would stick to the mid-late 80s with a 22re and the gear drive case. Put it on 33s and maybe armor it, find a group local to you that is active (foco has the mountaineers) and just go wheel it. See if this is something that you really want to do. See what the truck in stock form can do then decide what upgrades you want to make it a better wheeling rig. That's just my 2 pennies.

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
If I could do it again, Id get a 1985 Xtra Cab. I got the 4runner because I thought I would need the room in the back... but I dont. And bobbing the bed of a truck is MUCH easier than a 4runner. Plus they are lighter. If you ever do any crazy rear suspension with links and coil overs you can go through the bed... or you can flat bed it. So much you can do with a pickup. Xtracab if youre tall like me.

Also, if youre looking.... get a SR5. Dont bother with dlx or std. The cluster alone is worth it

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
I totally agree with the pre 85 xtra cab. But when it really comes down to it for the sr5 vs the dlt and std, for something just for wheeling? I'd love to have the sr5 cluster in mine but I also daily drive mine. If you want something that your going to rip the interior out if you choose to put a cage? For a crawler it the sr5 tach worth the extra money your going to for it compared to a bato zone generic tach?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
If I could do it again, Id get a 1985 Xtra Cab. I got the 4runner because I thought I would need the room in the back... but I dont. And bobbing the bed of a truck is MUCH easier than a 4runner. Plus they are lighter. If you ever do any crazy rear suspension with links and coil overs you can go through the bed... or you can flat bed it. So much you can do with a pickup. Xtracab if youre tall like me.

Also, if youre looking.... get a SR5. Dont bother with dlx or std. The cluster alone is worth it
I have the DLX and have the cluster with tach and stuff

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
nice, I didnt know the sr5 cluster came with the dlx too. Main reason for me suggesting to get the sr5 is to save time swapping the stuff in like cluster, center console arm rest thing, fancier seats, etc

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »
I suppose JToy needs to respond and with wether he want to daily it (I hope not if its a true crawler) and so the extent of wheeling he wants to do.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »
Starting from scratch, depends on your size, and how many seats you need.  If you are over 6', and want bucket seats, will need to consider a 2nd/3rd gen X-cab, if need more than 2 seats, need to consider a 1st or 2nd gen 4-Runner.

Base on your other post about where you would be using the 4x4, either a straight axle or IFS rig would suit your needs just fine, and the IFS will increase your potential pool of choices.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Jarhead

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 435
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »
But then you've gotta deal with the factory hanger if you wanna move the front axle forward..

You are right about the factory front hanger. I'm running 35" tires and I did notice after I was done with the lift and tire combo that my axle is a little back.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »
85 Xtra-cab, because of injected 22re, 5 speed for freeway and lowest 1st gear and wheelbase for crawlin'.  Just my goofy opinion from years of wheelin'.   :driving:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
85 Xtra-cab, because of injected 22re, 5 speed for freeway and lowest 1st gear and wheelbase for crawlin'.  Just my goofy opinion from years of wheelin'.   :driving:

My 85 extra cab was a carb 22R but it did just fine.

If you can find an EFI 85 extra cab the OEM solid axle will work great for enough lift for 33s. Unless you want to wheel wild that's all you need.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved