Author Topic: 37's on stock toyota axles?  (Read 7829 times)

Armentac

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since May '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
37's on stock toyota axles?
« on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:36:56 PM »
Just wondering if putting 37s on my stock toyota axles would be a bad idea. I have 5.29 gears and lockers

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: 37's on stock toyota axles?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »
It really depends on a lot of things. Most importantly is how you wheel. I run 37s on 5.29 toyota third members and I am not a ginger wheeler. However I am also not an idiot or a thrasher. If you are smart and don't try to force your truck forward in situations which are going to break something. Then they absolutely can handle 37s. Low gearing, good spotting, and experience are going to help you keep from breaking. Also if you haven't already upgrade your birfields to RCVs.  Start thinking about upgrading your outputs soon as well. That is next for me.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2016, 05:52:02 AM »
I would never put 37s on with stock front axles even with an open differential if I planned for it to be more than a mall crawler.  Having said that, I chose to not run a full locker until I upgraded my front axles.

I can tell you that my stock axles survived quite a bit of wheeling with 33s and a limited slip front differential, but I'm as kind to my truck as possibly while still taking it where I want to go.  I've seen 37x14.50 Toyo MTs take out one stock and two chromoly front axles in Moab in two days.  Once the front axles were upgraded (overnight delivery) the front ring gear  took some damage.  I honestly can't say that the guy driving was being much if any harder on his 4Runner than SqWADoosh is.  More aggressive than I choose to be, but not certainly not thrashing their rigs.

SqWADoosh is absolutely correct about RCV front axles being the best.  I am running stock outputs with my lockers and 35s so can't give you any opinion on the need for upgrading your outputs though if you can afford it stronger is pretty much always better!

My motto is build strong, wheel easy, and hopefully avoid broken parts.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
I would never put 37s on with stock front axles even with an open differential if I planned for it to be more than a mall crawler. 
I Agree 100%  :thumbs:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »

I think that is the difference between those who spend their own time and money building their rigs, and those that pay someone else to do most/if not all of the work for them, or buy a built rig for their first rig.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
I think that is the difference between those who spend their own time and money building their rigs, and those that pay someone else to do most/if not all of the work for them, or buy a built rig for their first rig.

95% of my rig was done by someone else.  Wheel because I enjoy the wheeling and not the expense of activity of working on my 4Runner.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »
I smashed stock birfs on 35s for years and broke plenty of them , I also used to wheel hard and not give a crap about my rig , if I babied it I could keep the axles alive but usually ended up breaking them , went to chromos and 37s and never looked back , currently banging 40s on rcvs and they are holding up well but if you have duals or 4.7s in the case thatll play a big part whether or not you'll break or not , having control over the rig and not having to ride the clutch makes a big difference , that being said if you've never replaced a stock broken toy birf on the trail then lucky you haha
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »
95% of my rig was done by someone else.  Wheel because I enjoy the wheeling and not the expense of activity of working on my 4Runner.
Having someone build you a rig after you have built your own wasn't what I was referring to, I mean the guys that go "Looks like fun, I think I will go buy one".  These guys, regardless of automotive hobby, don't seem to have an appreciation for the work it takes to build/repair a vehicle in a garage, had they, most likely wouldn't thrash on them the way they do.  Sure, there are the guys that look at their rigs as a disposable good, which is fine it is their property, also IME these types tend to be able to fix things pretty quickly as their used to doing it so much, not standing next their rig, looking confused as to why it wont go. :laugh:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Having someone build you a rig after you have built your own wasn't what I was referring to, I mean the guys that go "Looks like fun, I think I will go buy one".  These guys, regardless of automotive hobby, don't seem to have an appreciation for the work it takes to build/repair a vehicle in a garage, had they, most likely wouldn't thrash on them the way they do.  Sure, there are the guys that look at their rigs as a disposable good, which is fine it is their property, also IME these types tend to be able to fix things pretty quickly as their used to doing it so much, not standing next their rig, looking confused as to why it wont go. :laugh:

Agreed.  I definitely have an appreciation for the effort it takes to built a rig which equates to mostly cost for me.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2016, 01:44:19 PM »
IIRC, didn't you start off with an '85 way back when, so you did some wrench turning?  I know with a lot of my friends as we got into our 30'sand 40's we had more money than time, often less space, i.e. the wives took over the garage with stuff or they live in HOA's that frown on DIYer's, so paying to have it done or buying a built rig made things easier. 

I know some guys are also just not mechanically inclined and don't have the any other choice, with them it seems to be how much they value their money.  I have tow buddies like that, one knows he can't turn a wrench and not wanting to wanting to have his man card rescinded on the trail, he drives like his stuff is made out of crystal, on the other hand, another buddy flogs the piss out of his and then stands around waiting for others to fix it. :maddest:  Not sure if he still does that or not, haven't wheeled with him in about 6yrs now, last  heard he had gone to Danas.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
Just dont get crazy with the wheels turned too far.  It is doable, but i highly recommend rcv's

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
IIRC, didn't you start off with an '85 way back when, so you did some wrench turning?  I know with a lot of my friends as we got into our 30'sand 40's we had more money than time, often less space, i.e. the wives took over the garage with stuff or they live in HOA's that frown on DIYer's, so paying to have it done or buying a built rig made things easier. 

I know some guys are also just not mechanically inclined and don't have the any other choice, with them it seems to be how much they value their money.  I have tow buddies like that, one knows he can't turn a wrench and not wanting to wanting to have his man card rescinded on the trail, he drives like his stuff is made out of crystal, on the other hand, another buddy flogs the piss out of his and then stands around waiting for others to fix it. :maddest:  Not sure if he still does that or not, haven't wheeled with him in about 6yrs now, last  heard he had gone to Danas.

I have done very little of the work on either of my rigs.  I did start with an 85.  I have a bit more ability than I'm willing to use partly because everything is a bit of a learning process so just takes more time than I'm willing to spend on it.  I make it a point to not wheel with people that I consider to be high risk for breaking things because I don't find waiting around (helping where I can) to be any fun.  If someone is a smart wheeler, drives a solid and well built rig, and they break something then it doesn't bother me a bit because it's part of the game sometimes.  I'm more than willing to accept help with repairs off road, but always go in with the mindset that nobody owes me anything so if I need to spend some $$ to get home that's what I'll do.  For the most part, I don't wheel "easy" just to avoid breaking things, it's my natural style.  I will on occasion get more aggressive if making it up something that I'm struggling with becomes of interest, but it doesn't happen very often.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2016, 03:01:49 PM by blackdiamond »