Author Topic: I'm dreaming of my next set of tires...  (Read 9660 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm dreaming of my next set of tires...
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
I realized recently that because my 4Runner is now a 3rd vehicle and spends most of it's time in the garage I could be more aggressive with my choice of tires the next time I make a purchase.  At the rate I am putting miles on them they would likely disintegrate before the tread wears out.  It's probably 40% left and at 500 miles per year it will be a while.  I'd like to save some coins and do something before my next Moab trip which is probably in a couple of years.

I've always been impressed with the Interco tires.  All other things being equal I would probably go with the Irok, but the only available sizes are 36x13.50 and 37x12.50.  I don't think I want to go wider than my 35x12.50x15 current tires or two inches taller.

There is a 35x12.50 TrXus MT that would likely be my choice if I had to make one today.  The Interco website doesn't really say but I assume that they are radials.

Should I be considering a bias ply tire?  They are certainly much lighter which is one factor as more weight often equals higher potential for broken parts.

What are your experiences with radial vs. bias ply tires off road and at highway speeds?  I've never really been around bias ply tires to pay attention.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: I'm dreaming of my next set of tires...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
Why tires?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »
I have always loved iroks offroad.  However i hated both my sets on road, but i think they were both unbalanced sets.   I did drive on some new unbalanced 39.5" and some used 42"s that rode very well actually, especially for what they were.  The sets i owned just caused the worst death wobble around 25-35 mph, so basically right around the speed limit in town, i would either have to speed like crazy to keep the death wobble down or go way slow.  My low tread 39.5" iroks were absolutely awesome in the snow.

I also owned some 33" truxus mt's and loved them all around.  Mine were balanced and rode extremely well on road that i can remember.
1985crawler had some 37" truxus mt's and i believe he got rid of them because he couldn't get them to balance.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:13 AM »
Bias are heavier than radials, but have tougher sidewalls.
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »
Bias are heavier than radials, but have tougher sidewalls.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=6&g=1

The 36x13.50x15 bias ply is listed as 66 lbs and the radial is listed as 81 lbs for the same size.  From what I've seen with the Interco tires the radials are heavier?

I like the idea of a lighter tire and assume that a bias ply would perform great off road, but have concern about the street handling.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
Hmm, maybe it's a misprint??
Time to go wheelin!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
Dreaming of GoodYear MTR's in a 37".
I like to Drive!

Toyofast

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since May '04
  • I like the mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
I love my 37" Trxus M/T's. They are like a street friendly irock. My 37's took 3-4 ounces of weight to balance, awesome pavement manners, silent on pavement, excellent snow traction, wet roads no issues, great on gravel/dirt roads and great on the rocks too.

I drive my rig to/from trail.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
I really want a set of those or 37" kevlars

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
I love my 37" Trxus M/T's. They are like a street friendly irock. My 37's took 3-4 ounces of weight to balance, awesome pavement manners, silent on pavement, excellent snow traction, wet roads no issues, great on gravel/dirt roads and great on the rocks too.

I drive my rig to/from trail.

i had the same set under my 4runner awhile and man i loved them on everything but the hwy ,could nott get them to balance on my crappy bent wheels, i think i might get another set eventually though on a new set of 15" steelies. plus i love how u can get them in a 15 still.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
I'm dreaming of the same thing.  Guessing within a year I'll 'need' new tires.  Wanna keep my 15" wheels and go up to 37" tires.  So far I am debating between the TrXus MT's or the new SS-M16's.

I wanna stay 15" wheel if I can and InterCo seems to be the place to get them from, or Maxxis.

I just know I'll be back in CO (Denver) and want the best snow/ice tire I can get.  That's what will be the factor for me when I am ready to drop $$$ on tires again.
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2015, 06:47:42 PM »
I'm dreaming of the same thing.  Guessing within a year I'll 'need' new tires.  Wanna keep my 15" wheels and go up to 37" tires.  So far I am debating between the TrXus MT's or the new SS-M16's.

I wanna stay 15" wheel if I can and InterCo seems to be the place to get them from, or Maxxis.

I just know I'll be back in CO (Denver) and want the best snow/ice tire I can get.  That's what will be the factor for me when I am ready to drop $$$ on tires again.

Consider the Toyo Open Country MT and have it siped.

Win243

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Dec '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2015, 12:23:07 AM »
The Trxsus (or whatever) is a nice looking tire.  The General grabbers on my mother's rig actually worked better than I expected for rock crawling, but I would prefer something with a more aggressive side-tread.  I am thinking about getting a set of the military re-centered double deadlocks with 37" good year mtrs.
1985 Hilux
1987 AW11

Dwill817

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
Have you considered Pitbull Rocker Radial in 37x12.5x17? I've heard really good things and the 17" rim and radial makes them not look like balloons like most of the bias ply versions.. They are supposed to be an AWESOME tire..

Here's a few pictures stolen from muddywaters on another thread:

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2015, 09:41:20 AM by Dwill817 »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »
After visiting Discount Tire on Friday to have the tires on my 4Runner rotated I learned that they cannot service, other than air checks, tires that are more than ten years old.  I did some reading online and have determined that it's not a smart choice for me to run my 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud KM tires on the highway to Moab (this consequences of a tire failing on the highway is too high), so new tires have been elevated to a need rather than a want.

It looks like I can get either the Cooper Discoverer SST Pro or BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 for about the same price in a 35x12.50x15.  As much as I'd love to consider running something bigger (e.g. 36 or 37) and more aggressive (e.g. Irok or Pit Bull Rocker) I simply cannot justify the extra cost and I don't really want significantly heavier tires.  The only other tire that might interest me would be the Toyo Open Country M/T, but the last I knew they only offered it in a 35x13.30x15 and I don't really care to go wider and they were a pretty heavy tire compared to my BFG KMs that I'm replacing.  The Toyo and BFG were my top two choices last time.

I'm not a huge fan of the BFG KM2 look and it sounds like they are not a great tire in the  mud which isn't ideal for Washington.  If I thought it was superior on the slickrock in Moab I might be more interested.

Here's my list:

(1) Cooper SST Pro
(2) BFG KM2
(3) Toyo Open Country M/T

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 08:41:47 AM by blackdiamond »

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
I have 37s toyo mt's on my 84, they are 10ply, my honest opinion is, that they are great full size truck tires, but the Toyota is so light that I can barely notice when they are air down to 5psi
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:11:33 AM »
I have 37s toyo mt's on my 84, they are 10ply, my honest opinion is, that they are great full size truck tires, but the Toyota is so light that I can barely notice when they are air down to 5psi

The load rating was part of why I did't get them last time.  If they are still the same load rating then they would not be on my list.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
I ran the toyo's on my wheeler for a while and was not impressed. The where ok when things where dry (im in Wa so thats not very often.) but they didnt clean out well at all in the mud at all. They are also very heavy. They are now an my DD, they have good road manners and last forever, but I feel like the weight is still a big factor, especially with a 22r/re. I'm now running mtr's on my wheeler and they way out perform the toyo's, I'm not a fan of goodyear, but I've been pretty happy with the mtr's so far.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
I ran the toyo's on my wheeler for a while and was not impressed. The where ok when things where dry (im in Wa so thats not very often.) but they didnt clean out well at all in the mud at all. They are also very heavy. They are now an my DD, they have good road manners and last forever, but I feel like the weight is still a big factor, especially with a 22r/re. I'm now running mtr's on my wheeler and they way out perform the toyo's, I'm not a fan of goodyear, but I've been pretty happy with the mtr's so far.

I have never been impressed with the MTR compared to my BFGs so am not considering them.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »
35x12.50x15 Cooper SST PROs are on order.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
Very stoked to see how these work out for you as I was set on them for myself before I went with my Bulls.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »
Very stoked to see how these work out for you as I was set on them for myself before I went with my Bulls.

I suspect either the Cooper or BFG would have bee. A good choice, but went for the wider tread with larger lugs. I think in WA more tire on the ground is likely superior to increased contact pressure and wide tires with big lugs seem to do well in Moab as well. We will know "almost" soon enough.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
I think in WA more tire on the ground is likely superior to increased contact pressure

Does that mean I can expect you on more local trips this summer then?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
Does that mean I can expect you on more local trips this summer then?

Expectations often lead to disappointment. I would guess you'll see me at least once or twice...

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »
Expectations often lead to disappointment. I would guess you'll see me at least once or twice...

Hey man that is better than not seeing you come out at all.