Author Topic: 1st gen front turn signals with tube bumper ideas  (Read 3663 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
1st gen front turn signals with tube bumper ideas
« on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
Hey guys

Got any pics of good ways to mount the old front bumper lights to a new double tube bumper?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Post a picture of you bumper so we can have an idea what your working with.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I just welded a couple little pieces of flat stock in there between the tubes where they end up behind your turn signal lamps and drilled holes.  You can just bolt through the stock turn signals with stuff from the hardware store and it looks clean.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
I came up with a potential idea. The tubes are 2" and a little big for my taste, but that's what's on it so I'll stick with it. Being 2"doesn't leave much of an opening to see the blinker. I'm going to try and put something together with some loom clamps and allthread tomorrow night....I'll post the results and see what you guys think about it.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
or you can do the blinker mod where you turn the corner parking/running lights into blinkers and make it simple?

i do this to all my toyotas and never have to worry about where to mount the bulky blinker to,a downfall of this is the blinker will blink faster than normal.

just a thought
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
or you can do the blinker mod where you turn the corner parking/running lights into blinkers and make it simple?

i do this to all my toyotas and never have to worry about where to mount the bulky blinker to,a downfall of this is the blinker will blink faster than normal.

just a thought

Isn't there another mod where the bumper blinker and the small parking/running light on the outside of the fender blink in alternating pattern?

I would just go with the parking lights on the corners blinking (had this set-up on my last 81), but with living in Oakland driving interstate every morning and occasionally in SF, I need some good blinkers.

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Here's what I did for $25 at home depot

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC

just a thought

Yep what he said.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
What about at least putting them on top of the bumper right next to the hoop.  You'll rip those things off if you ever go off road.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
What about at least putting them on top of the bumper right next to the hoop.  You'll rip those things off if you ever go off road.

I considered that....I decided against it because I thought they wouldn't be seen well on interstate around here.  Driving on the 880 every morning and afternoon in Oakland can be a little crazy.  At least the front of the lens is just past the center of the tube, so it won't be the first thing hit.  If it gives me problems, I'll get some LEDs and stick stick them between the two tubes.  Those 3" tubes are a little ridiculous but they look almost brand new, and front, rear, and step side all match.  I just got this truck thing Monday afternoon......bought it sight unseen off eBay.  I'm pretty happy with it....only complaint is a Rough Country 3" lift.  Stock is good enough for what I do, especially since I don't want to tear up my DD.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
You could get led 6" ovals and cut the two tubes and make a small box to french in there for the turn signals to live in. Would be protected well and the leds are stupid tough.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
This is what I did. Some LEDs I picked up at O'Reilley's.
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
That's awesome, your truck has a rug to park on.
06 tacoma street truck

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

You could also simply 'uninstall' once your offroad.  I didn;t look to closely at the install, but if it is as easy as a few bolts and packing the blinkers in a box, you should be good, right?

But I do agree mounting them up top woulda been an easier thing to do for offroad.
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Those LEDs look pretty good...mine are installed so we'll see if they stay there. If they end up smashed I'm going to copy you guy's with the LEDs.....sounds cheaper than buying lenses too, although that would be a trip to the yard I guess