Author Topic: New Member and build up ?  (Read 3685 times)

Kris

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Male Posts: 91
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New Member and build up ?
« on: Oct 30, 2005, 02:06:10 PM »
Hey I am new to the board and just wanted to say of all the tings I heard and read MARLIN CRAWLERS is the best out there.  I have been spending a lot of time reading the boards out there and this one buy for is the best.  I am not new to 4wheeling I had a 87 Samurai with a SAS on it but had to part with it when the military said I had to move to LA.  I know own 93 Toy Xcab with a 3.0 and have grown tired of the ifs and breaking parts in the wood of LA.  Now for my ?

1.  When I lift my truck with a SAS on the rear drive shat do I replace the whole thing or leave the carrier bearing and just replace the rear half with a slip style shaft. 

2.  On the crawl Boxes Marlin sales what is the best way to go two case or the one.  I have two drive this truck every day and also drive it to Texas for TDY (temporary duty) for the military.  I want to be able to run safe on the highway and not damage anything.  Also if I do the two case set up what about the rear drive shaft i know it will have to be shortened.  That leads me back to my first question do i just lose the carrier baring?

Thank you for your help.  I turned to this forum because the rest of the had a lot of BS on them and not enough tech talk.
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six!!

You can grow, You can hide it, You can build it:
BUT WE WILL FIND IT!!  K-9

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: New Member and build up ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2005, 03:46:44 PM »
your solid axle swap  shouldnt effect your rear shaft but yea  you will want to loose the center bearing if you go with the dual case

since your just down the road,  i could help you out with your dual setup if you need help,  if you have 3-4 inches of lift and you will :yesnod:  the extra length of the front shaft will be a benefit of the dual cases
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »
oh yea  :welcome:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Kris [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:47:07 AM »
Thank you for the impute and offering to help.  I am in the process of getting the money together right know.  I going to do the cases first then do the lift.  I have to replace my case correct? I have the chain drive be hind my 3.0.  What gear setup should I go with 4.70 up front with 2.28 in the back or the other way around?  When I buy the Setup from Marlin should I buy a new cross member form them?  Do you know what this twin stick option and is it help full?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 07:46:19 AM »
Thank you for the impute and offering to help. I am in the process of getting the money together right know. I going to do the cases first then do the lift. I have to replace my case correct? I have the chain drive be hind my 3.0. What gear setup should I go with 4.70 up front with 2.28 in the back or the other way around? When I buy the Setup from Marlin should I buy a new cross member form them? Do you know what this twin stick option and is it help full?
yep  you'll have to change to the gear drive cases,    i have thought about the 4.7  in the front box,  but Marlin advises to put the 4.7 in the rear case,  i think your truck would have the 23 spline already so thats  the stronger unit,  with the 3.0  i assume you have the R150 5 speed,  i know where i can get you a coupl gear drive cases for $50 each,  unless you can find them around the shreveport yards

the twin stick is a good option because you can have deep reduction 2wd,  and it just looks killer

and the Marlin crossmember gives you a flatter belly  with better protection :yesnod:

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »
No problem on road trip with the dual cases. I am still running my old #285 one purchased from Marlin Automotive. (before Before Marlin Crawler the buisness) I drove it on a 3+ week tour, 4500 miles. From Cincinnati to Moab, to the Grand Canyon, then to N Carolina to GSMTR before returning home. Ran 5 rated trails like Pritchet Canyon, and I didn't have a CV in the driveshaft at the time. Put it together right, an you will have no troubles with it.

My next rig will have a MC08 R10.

Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

Kris [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2005, 12:55:15 PM »
I want to run 35 tires so go with a 4.88 in diff plus the double case with 2.28 the the 4.70 second and I should have no problem on the road .  Rpms should be under 3000 at 70.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:50:02 AM »
low rpms on the highway are not always a good thing for toys.

Kris [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2005, 07:10:24 PM »
sorry it so long to reply but had to work long hours.  If I run 35 is  4.88 good. Or is it going to be to Low RPM.  Why do you say  low rpm is bad for toy?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2005, 07:20:24 PM »
toy  4cyls  like to rev,  so cruising around 3200-3500 is best, but you have a V6  and live in louisianna  so you'll be fine,  you can always stay in 4th if your towing or something

Kris [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2005, 07:29:41 PM »
good thanks

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:11:49 AM »