Author Topic: ALLPRO Leafs OR Trail gear 3/4 link?  (Read 11941 times)

wannabe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ALLPRO Leafs OR Trail gear 3/4 link?
« on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
looking at buying a suspension system. i know i could go to a junk yard and get some 63's and do RUF and have good flex and save some $. but i just want to buy everything i need at once, and have it all be new. I really like the ALLPRO leaf spring kit, seems like they flex well and use quality stuff.. but then the wheels start turning and its already a bunch on money, already doing some cutting and welding..so why stop there? I would love to have this thing linked front and rear.. I know the TG kits arent the most popular thing out there. and i know 4WU makes some SSIIICCCKKKK bracket syatems.. but payine 1500 for just the BRACKETS makes it damn near impossible to make happen. I know you get what you pay for, and he has put tons of R&D into his stuff, and is far greater product than TG, but like i said. i just cant sink 4K into a 85 toyota, atleast not at one time  :D

If you had to choose between the TG links (front and rear) syatem, or the ALLPRO 4-5" syatem, which would you choose?

1985 toyota 4x4 pickup non longbed
Locked front and rear
35's
Truck is not a DD but ill be damned if im going to put anything on it to prevent it from running 70mph down the interstate (if the poor ole 22r woudl even do that!)
Live in alabama, so dont have to worry about stuff being legal, or getting it inspected.

Just looking for the best performance off road without making it unstreetable. And i would love to be linked and have the suspension dialed in to pretend i own a race "car".

hopefully this hasnt been posted before (i did search, been trying to make my mind up for a while now)
Just trying to avoid spending 1600 on ALLPRO, then turning around and linking it.

jimmer009

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Jun '10
  • good as used
    • View Profile
Re: ALLPRO Leafs OR Trail gear 3/4 link?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »
Check out ruff stuff specialties. The 3 link kit is way cheaper then what I've seen before on the net. 

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
allpros
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »
If you haven't built rigs before do leafs.  If you have money and time and like to study up on your geometry then guy a ruff stuff or a barnes4wd link kit.  Don't give the trail gear kit a second thought. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

UndefinedTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Aug '11
  • Built by trial and mostly error
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
flopp that, buy a 4WU link kit if anything..best out there.
I know someone who bought the TG kit..it was OK..but it wasn't that good..he had to mod a few things to fit it right..and some stuff wasnt up to par to his standards(nor mine IMO). I've read good reviews on it though on Pirate4x4..so kinda up to you.
TG has some good stuff..but other stuff is kinda MEH.

The allpro "suspension" kit is MEH for the price..if you have any welding/fab experience..I'd put your own suspension setup..RUF's and 63's...order Marlin brackets or flips...or even order stuff from Davez offroad(I run his brackets, hangers, etc on most my trucks)..

83' Pickup "ShitBox" - more parts
92' Pickup "Doomed" - some parts

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
Run leafs till you can do it right. 4WU seems expensive at first, but when you price everything out for a DIY they are not getting rich.
I'm still struggling with the fact I could be spending more for a suspension system than I did for an 85 4Runner so I understand your pain.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Well I will be the 6th to chime in  :twocents:......

No one yet has out right praised the Trail :pokinit: 3/4 link kit. If you want links done right get the 4WU kit's. Or if you can do the math yourself get a Ruffstuff (or other vendor) generic bracket kit and set it up yourself.

If the $ or time/ skill of a proper link kit scares you, then get leafs. You can save $ and run RuffStuff (or other vendor) brackets and used leafs, or Allpro leafs. Either way I would suggest against getting their (Allpro's) complete kit as it is over priced and you can get many of the components (ie brackets) from other sources for cheaper.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013, 10:22:30 PM by John Doe »
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
Getting brackets for cheap from others and knowing where to put them to get you max performance are two different things. And while some one could copy the geometry they'd have to do a lot of adding to said brackets to put things in the same spot. Not saying impossible by any means just making it known that the extra effort to do so may out weigh the cost of just buying the ones already built for it. You may even want to just build your own stuff from scratch.

Most companies build brackets for the sole purpose of being cheap to produce and for being 100% universal to any truck, frame or axle. Which is why you find so many companies offering brackets that put the upper link directly above the lower link. Less metal, less welding = less cost. Which kind of leads one to think that it's a bracket kit not a "SUSPENSION" bracket kit. The difference should be obvious if you think about it. Last I checked all of us that are deciding to go to a linked suspension are doing it for the performance, not because we like to spend money. (I can buy universal cabinets for my kitchen from Home Depot, doesn't mean I am not in for a lot more work installing them, or they will work as well for my particular home and give my wife the room she needs by taking advantage of space offered in corners or utilize the limited space I have.) Same thing applies in this instance. Custom cabinets would certainly be better in the long run. Not as easy on the pocket book, but I know that Im not going to be redoing them a year from now because I am unhappy with a portion of it.

Over priced: Really! Wow didn't see that coming. The only thing we sell that is truly our own are the brackets. Everything else is provided by other manufacturers and we retail those parts for the MSRP. We aren't marking things up past what they are available for any where else. I am also not saying you cant get cheaper versions of what we provide to supplement those components either. But with most things you get what you pay for. Example: all of our tube adapters are hex shape so that when you tighten your inks down you have a spot to put a wrench instead of use a pipe wrench on your links and put teeth marks in them. Important to some: yes, but not all. If you like the round ones from some one else then that's your purgative. All of which is why we sell the pieces in multiple forms. So that we fit YOUR needs.

And I know all of this begs the question; are my systems really better then someone else's. I can only tell you what I've been told by guys that have built their own and now use mine. "YES!!!"  Sounds like a sales pitch. So why is it that nearly everyone this year that has purchased from me has a buddy that has had them for the last year and told them "just go get the 4WU stuff".... I'll leave that to you to ponder. 

P.S.
No one running our stuff regrets it either.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013, 11:49:04 PM by TacoRunner »
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

wannabe [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
Never said it was over priced. Or it wasn't good. In fact I'm almost positive I praised your stuff and said I wish I could use it.. I'm well aware your kits and brackets are the :pokinit:. Just can't spend that much money at once on a toy. Probally just gonna end up doing 63's and other junk :pokinit:.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
No worries man, it wasn't your comment that surprised me but Mr. Does. :beerchug:

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
No worries man, it wasn't your comment that surprised me but Mr. Does. :beerchug:

And here I thought you were not talking about me.

The over priced comment was referring to the Allpro kit, not Yours. Remember I clearly praised your kit right out of the gate.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
And here I thought you were not talking about me.

The over priced comment was referring to the Allpro kit, not Yours. Remember I clearly praised your kit right out of the gate.

I read your comment 5 times. Scratching my head the whole time saying to myself hmmm... I don't get it because he just got a bracket kit. Sorry for mis reading it. I know you praised my kit... thank you. If I got a little defensive on the price things its because its the only thing anyone has even balked about.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
Im working on my links as we speak... I got two barnes4x4 kits for about 1000 total to my door and I already had the DOM.  Will it work as well as the 4wu kit?  No.  But its parked in the garage and ive spent hours looking at graph paper and running numbers getting it right.  So it will work.  But if you don't have weeks or hundreds of hours to do your homework and REMAKE every single bracket, then buy the 4wu kit.  One day I will buy a kit from him.  I appreciate all the informative and honest posts from him. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
Good, doing it on your own.  I'd love a 4WU 3 link too.  No money though.  I will save and read for now.

You'll probably learn a lot.  If it is a toy, who cares if it isn't perfect the first time.  Just enjoy the whole process.

Got any pictures?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
I have tires coming next thursday... pro comp extreme mt2s.  37-12.50-17s.  Then I can make some more progress.  I started a build thread forever ago but life got in the way.... plus I hate techy stuff and uploading pictures.  PIA.  But as it gets closer I'll post a bunch. 
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD: