Author Topic: how rare is the rear seat delete for 1 gen 4 runners?  (Read 8183 times)

shad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 392
  • Member since Mar '05
  • waiting for warmer wheeling weather
    • View Profile
how rare is the rear seat delete for 1 gen 4 runners?
« on: Oct 04, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
I was wondering how rare the rear seat delete option is for 4 runners?

I happen to have one it came with my 4 runner.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008, 12:17:37 PM by shad »
86 Toyota 4 runner
22re screaming on 4.56's rolling 35's
My cardomain page

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
ive never seen it. thats cool.

shmedly

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Uh Oh!
    • View Profile
I've seen a few for sale in the last year. I almost got one for my 85. I was going to install one and place a small bucket seat for my kid in the middle. Then the wife informed me were going to need room for one more seat .....:(
85 Runner

shad [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
Basically I from what I gather although haven't bolted it in yet. You take your rear seats out then bolt this in place where they swing down and it's like having just a truck bed in back.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008, 12:16:37 PM by shad »
86 Toyota 4 runner
My cardomain page

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Not a biggy, my neighbor would probably give ya his...  His back seat has turned into a place for the gas tank...  :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

shad [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile

I guess mine was a utility 4 runner version. It didn't come with a back seat. One was added at a later date.

I found a old post on offroad.com about it :http://forums.off-road.com/toyota-suv-s-trucks/23733-4runner-rear-seat.html
Anyways haven't seen many of them so I guess it is rare.

Had to go back to school and have a history lesson on the first gen runners. "The first-generation 4Runner had two doors and a removable hard top in the form of a fiberglass shell over the rear cargo area. It was available in two models. The first was little more than a pickup truck with a covered rear cargo area. Its emphasis was on utility. With seats in the front only, "

More here : http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist1.html
86 Toyota 4 runner
My cardomain page

shad [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile

Here's how one looks with it installed.
For $hits and grins
86 Toyota 4 runner
My cardomain page

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
All 1st. gen 4Runners through 1985 were shipped this way and then if a rear seat was installed it was an option. They did this to beat the taxes that would have been charged if it were shipped with the rear seat. They stopped doing that for the 1986 model and were shipped with the seat.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
I am diggin the amount of storage that would open
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
if anyone has one they want to sell let me know
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
That is cool.

BHT12

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 376
  • Member since Jan '10
  • Toyota Addict.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have one of these I scored at a junk yard. Like rock surfer said I had heard they did this because it was cheaper to ship it as a "pickup" then an suv. Perry cool though
1984 4runner. Trailgear fronts, custom backs with shackles, 36 iroks, hi steer, hybrid 20+22r motor, full exhaust, lowsy weber, power everything, rear heat, power Antena,  sr5, altimeter,  back seat eliminator, tube bumper

1981 2wd long bed parts getter. All stock, sr5

1983 Toyota Sandtana Motorhome 4x4 Stock.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
All 1st. gen 4Runners through 1985 were shipped this way and then if a rear seat was installed it was an option. They did this to beat the taxes that would have been charged if it were shipped with the rear seat. They stopped doing that for the 1986 model and were shipped with the seat.

Importing them w/o rear seats wouldn't have prevented them from being hit with taxes, there was(still is I believe) a 25% import tax on light trucks.  However, if it was unclear whether or not they would be classified as trucks or as passenger cars w/the rear seats installed, sending them w/o the rear seats would ensure the 4-Runner wouldn't effect the total number of passenger cars they could import that year.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Without the rear seat it was probably classified as a truck and hit with the 25% tax.

Remember the Subaru Brat.....    It had 2 seats welded to the rear bed so it was classified as a car to avoid the 25% tax......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
When the pickups were still made in Japan, they were shipped over here without a bed to beat the import taxes. Use to see rows and rows of trucks with no beds in a holding lot off 680 in California.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
When the pickups were still made in Japan, they were shipped over here without a bed to beat the import taxes. Use to see rows and rows of trucks with no beds in a holding lot off 680 in California.

That explains why the paint on my bed has aged differently than the cab............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
That explains why the paint on my bed has aged differently than the cab............

Yep!! I did not have my bed long enough to age, took one side out in The Little Sluice and the other on Walker Hill, for those who do not know those spots they are both on the Con!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
The first new vehicle and first Toyota my wife and I bought was an 86 4Runner. We couldn't afford the SR5 back then so we got a base model except she HAD to have an automatic. Was a $200 option. Yet the rear seat was an $800 option! I asked them if they had that backwards.

Anyway, the truck came with no radio or antenna, no back seat, carpet in front, vinyl in back, steel wheels,3 row brass radiator and a trans  cooler for the auto.

Took forever for the dealer to get and install the rear seat. They kept the original floor plate. If I'd have know it was going to be a rare item I would have asked for it back.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress