Author Topic: tcase question  (Read 986 times)

894runn'n

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
tcase question
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
im looking to buy a top shift tcase to use for my dual case set up in my V6 4runner, i was just curious as to whats a fair price to expect to pay for one. thanks

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
Re: tcase question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »
depends on who you buy it from. more than likely you'll be paying around $100-200 for a unit.
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

894runn'n [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
Thanks Goldrush! That at least gives me an idea! I can't wait until I can finally put in my  :turtle: order!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:31:21 AM »
Goldrush is right, its becoming more difficult to find top shift cases at a good price. You may consider picking up a transmission with t/case to get the t/case in on the deal for less than you'd pay outright. For instance if a t/case goes for $100, well maybe you can find a L50 with t/case for $250-$300.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what ya build!
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

894runn'n [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
Thats a good piece of info, thanks BigMike!

and to think my buddy just sold an 84 regular cab and gave the guy who bought it 2 top shift tcases and an extra motor for free, but this was before i had my runner.. just barely missed out!!!

Ive also been having a hell of a time finding interior parts for it(mostly the passenger side dash) mine was cracked so bad it just fell apart. anybody know of any good places to look for interior parts?

thanks!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
There are a few Toyota Truck specialty dismantles such as Toy Connection in the bay area of California (http://www.toyconnection4x4.com) and also Jim's Used Parts out of Denver, CO (http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Yard.html)

You might also want to try this classified ad from one of our board members from Missouri, who seems to have almost anything you'd need: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39620

You could also try finding yards with things you need through http://www.car-parts.com but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find older model parts through this route.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

894runn'n [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »
probably a dumb question, but im not 100% sure about compatibilities with different trannys and tcases yet. Is it possible to run a RF1A with my R150F tranny? i just have no idea, and i found one for sale close to me and thought i better look into it. 

thanks in advance for any helpful info sent my way

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:40:30 AM »
First off, here is information on the various drivetrain parts found in all generations of Toyotas
Toyota Tech: Pickup and 4Runner Part Specifications

Secondly, here is the info I sent you regarding the options for putting a gear driven case (RF1A) into a 3rd generation V6 truck (R150F).
I don't know where else to post this on the forum, so here can be the place.

Option A – Single 4.7 case
With this option, you remove the chain driven case, and replace it with a single gear driven case, with 4.7:1 gears installed.  This is cheapest option to get lower gears, and is also upgradable (see option C below).  In order to accomplish this, you need to obtain the following:
Top shift gear driven transfer case (which you have).
  • 23 spline V6 Transfer Case Adapter – mounts the gear driven case to the transmission
  • 23 spline 4.7:1 Reduction Gear Set  - replaces the stock 2.28:1 gears in the transfer case
Total cost: around $900-$1000
This option basically doubles your existing low gear ratio.  It is similar to putting dual stock gear cases in, except it is a single case, and the ratio isn’t quite as low (dual 2.28 cases yield a 5.2:1 reduction).
Pros: Lower gearing (1:1, 4.7:1), no driveline modification needed, cheapest option
Cons: No stock low gear.  To me, this wasn’t an issue, because 5th gear in low range was the same as running in 1st gear high range.

Option B – Dual stock (2.28:1) cases
In this option, you replace the chain driven case with two stock top shift gear-driven cases.  To do this, you need to obtain the following:
  • Two top shift gear driven transfer cases (you have one).
  • 21 spline V6 Transfer Case Adapter, or a 23 spline V6 Transfer Case Adapter
  • 23 spline input shaft (if you go with a 23 spline case adapter)  23 spline is stronger than the 21 spline, and is recommended that you actually replace both with 23 spline.
  • Dual Case adapter – This adapter combines the two cases.  Again, they come in 23 spline or 21 spline.
  • Speedometer extension cable – the rear transfer case is moved back 6 ½”, and the extension is needed to hook the speedometer cable up.
  • Dual Case Crossmember – needed to hold both cases up.
  • Drive shaft modification – the rear driveshaft needs to be shortened, while the front needs to be lengthened.
Total cost: around $1300-$1600 depending on whether you put 23 spline shafts in, and how much you can get another case for.
Pros: Three different gear ratios (1:1, 2.28:1, 5.2:1). 15 forward gears, 3 reverse gears.  Stock low gear is retained.
Cons: Driveline modifications required. Price

Option C – Dual Ultimate crawler (2.28:1 & 4.7:1)
This option gets you all that is available regarding gearing.  Anything else is overkill.  It is a combination of Options A & B.  To do this, you need the following:
  • Two top shift gear driven transfer cases (you have one).
  • 23 spline V6 Transfer Case Adapter – mounts the gear driven case to the transmission
  • 23 spline 4.7:1 Reduction Gear Set  - replaces the stock 2.28:1 gears in the rear transfer case
  • 23 spline Dual Case adapter – This adapter combines the two cases.
  • 23 spline input shaft for the front case
  • Speedometer extension cable – the rear transfer case is moved back 6 ½”, and the extension is needed to hook the speedometer cable up.
  • Dual Case Crossmember – needed to hold both cases up.
  • Drive shaft modification – the rear driveshaft needs to be shortened, while the front needs to be lengthened.
Total cost: $1800-$2000 depending on how much the other case costs you.
Pros:  Four different gear ratios (1:1, 2.28:1, 4.7:1, 10.7:1). 20 forward gears and 5 reverse.  Stock low gear is retained.
Cons: Driveline modifications required. Price

You can initially go with Option A, and then upgrade directly to Option C with the purchase of the additional parts.
'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:54:08 AM »
Forgot to add that the V6 tcase (VF1A) has a different shifter base than the gear drivern case (RF1A), so you need the shifter to go with the case.  You can also put in a twin stick, which separates the 2WD/4WD from the Hi/Low shift forks as well.  On my truck,  the transmission shift lever interfered with the twin sticks in a single case setup (requires bending the transmission lever), but works perfect with duals.

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »
Greg,  I just read your email.  You can use a forward shift case, but you'll need to also convert it to a top shift, which involves changing out the shift rails and forks.
Marlin and TG sell a top shift conversion kit.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
Yup i think i have an extra forward shift case Greg after reading this,Thanks for the info Cyberman, I read that chain driven cases have 5 bolt covers on the rear of the case and gear driven are 7 bolts,way to tell the difference i guess.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390